Splitting the bill

Natty

Man takes date's Blackberry mobile phone after she refuses to pay half the bill A man took his date's mobile phone in compensation when she refused to pay half of the drinks bill, a court heard.
blackberry_2661590b.jpg
"This case is about a first date that goes very badly wrong,' said prosecutor Helen Thomas.  Photo: JOHNNY GREIG/ALAMY

By News agencies

3:55PM BST 04 Sep 2013

Kishore Nimmala, 32, took the phone when Fakhara Sultana told him she had no cash during their first date at the Ruby Blue bar in Leicester Square, jurors heard.

Mr Nimmala, who had met Ms Sultana on an online dating site, spent £54 on two rounds of drinks and insisted she should contribute, Southwark Crown Court heard.

But Ms Sultana had assumed it was the gentleman's prerogative to pay for everything on the first date and after Mr Nimmala became angry Ms Sultana cut the evening short.

However, he pestered her for money as she walked to Charing Cross Tube station then seized her white Blackberry phone, it was said.

The alleged theft took place on February 15 this year, after the pair met on dating website, Zoosk.

This case is about a first date that goes very badly wrong,' said prosecutor Helen Thomas.

"It seems Mr Nimmala was angered by the fact his date, Fakhara Sultana, had cut the night short and as they were walking to the Tube, he saw she was using her mobile phone and stole it from her hand, running away with it."

Ms Sultana told Mr Nimmala she had no cash after they finished the second round of drinks, jurors heard.

"She informed the defendant that she didn't have any money with her and she assumed he would be paying for the evening," Ms Thomas said.

"At this point he became angry and the evening together came to an abrupt close. She announced she was going home.

"They left together and she walked towards Charing Cross. During the walk the defendant kept saying to her that he wanted £25 – her share of what he spent on the evening. She kept saying she didn't have any money.

"At that point she realised the defendant was becoming angry. She got her mobile phone out and started to try and use it.

"At that point, the defendant grabbed her mobile phone from her hand and ran off down the street with it."

Ms Sultana screamed and ran after Mr Nimmala down Charing Cross Road, Ms Thomas told the court.

Two passing policemen joined the chase and eventually caught him in St Martin's Lane, jurors heard.

Mr Nimmala tossed the phone away and it was later retrieved by one of the officers.

"When asked why he ran away, the defendant said 'she took my money' adding 'I took her phone'", Ms Thomas added.

In interview, Mr Nimmala said he wanted Ms Sultana to 'pay her share'. He claimed she was trying to 'cheat him', jurors heard.

He took her phone thinking she would give him her share of the expense of the evening, but insisted he didn't intend to keep the device.

"There is no dispute the defendant took the phone from her hand and nor is there any dispute he had no permission to take the phone.

"The issue is did he act dishonestly when he took the phone and did he intend to permanently deprive her of her phone?

"The prosecution case is the defendant was fed up having shelled out money on a date that was going nowhere and he decided to teach Fakhara Sultana a lesson by stealing her mobile phone out of spite and causing her maximum inconvenience in doing so."

Mr Nimmala, of Skeltons Lane, Leyton, east London, denies theft.

The trial continues.

/

So what do you lot think about first dates should the man pay or should it be split.

SMFH @ her coming on a date with no money though wtf

So what do you lot think about first dates should the man pay or should it be split.

Up to the individual but I like to see what type of girl I'm sitting down with so will ask her to contribute, not for the dough but to see her reaction.

She had dough on her.

I will offer and be prepared to pay for the first date

i would expect her to at a minimum offer to contribute at some point during the next date

• Upvote 1

shoulda each got their own first drinks.

if this happened with me at a restaurant, I'd bait say "i'm paying for the _____ ( what I had )." if she fails to pay for her food she's stealing

I always split on first dates, will do the paying for her shit when we're in a relationship.

the first date chick hasn't earned that, and I have no guarantee of following through

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Heard a story the other day.

This guy has kids from a previous marriage, in a new marriage with a woman a bit younger, has a kid with her aswell.

He has a joint account with the new woman but it's mainly his dough that goes in it to pay the bills, he has no savings.

The woman doesn't put as much into the account, she earns a lot less but she has a next account with money she has been saving, few g's.

It's his oldest sons bday now and he asked the new wife if he can take some money out of her account to get him a present for his 18th.

Her: I don't see why I should be paying for that.

Some craziness happening outchea.

Heard a story the other day.

This guy has kids from a previous marriage, in a new marriage with a woman a bit younger, has a kid with her aswell.

He has a joint account with the new woman but it's mainly his dough that goes in it to pay the bills, he has no savings.

The woman doesn't put as much into the account, she earns a lot less but she has a next account with money she has been saving, few g's.

It's his oldest sons bday now and he asked the new wife if he can take some money out of her account to get him a present for his 18th.

Her: I don't see why I should be paying for that.

Some craziness happening outchea.

Sorry but he sounds like a bitch.

Would just take the money and do it any way fuck I need permission from my new squeeze for.