User

Honesty pays off for homeless Boston man

_70012670_70012665.jpg
Continue reading the main storyRelated Stories
  • Honesty of lost lotto ticket finder

Donations of more than $110,000 (£67,000) have poured in from across the US for a Boston homeless man who returned a lost bag with $42,000 in it.

Glen James alerted police after he found the backpack containing cash and traveller's cheques last weekend, and the bag's owner was then tracked down.

A complete stranger later started an online fund for Mr James after reading media reports about his honesty.

The man, Ethan Whittington, now plans to meet Mr James to give him the money.

eEthan Whittington, Fund starter

Mr Whittington, who lives in Midlothian, Virginia, said he was so overwhelmed by Mr James' honesty that he decided to start the fund.

"The fact that he's in the situation he is, being homeless, it blew my mind that he would do this,'' Mr Whittington was quoted as saying by the Associated Press.

He said his idea of starting donations on a crowdfunding website for Mr James "caught on like wildfire ever since".

"It's brought me a lot of hope. This isn't only about rewarding a great guy. I think it's a statement to everyone in America.

"If we come together and work toward one thing and work together, then we can make it happen."

Meanwhile, Mr James, a former Boston courthouse employee, said that he would not have kept "even a penny" of the money he had found in the backpack - even if he were desperate.

Have you witnessed a remarkable act of honesty or kindness? You can share your experience using the form below.

What is the most expensive thing you have found & returned or kept?

Who else has had something returned to them?

Lost my wallet at parklife this year, has it handed in with all my money still in it :o

Will definitely be handing anything i find these days.

Lost my phone and it was out of battery. A guy took it home, charged it up and facebooked a friend of mine that had text me. Good thing I add people's last names in my contacts.

I remember back in school my friend found a £50 note on the ground. Our teacher was with us though and she made her hand it in to reception (pissed). I slyly went back to reception later that day without telling my friend and claimed I lost money in that exact location. Receptionist said I was super lucky :lol:

• Upvote 4

Lost my phone and it was out of battery. A guy took it home, charged it up and facebooked a friend of mine that had text me. Good thing I add people's last names in my contacts.

I remember back in school my friend found a £50 note on the ground. Our teacher was with us though and she made her hand it in to reception (pissed). I slyly went back to reception later that day without telling my friend and claimed I lost money in that exact location. Receptionist said I was super lucky :lol:

lol smooth