How does this

I was out for dinner with friends and friends of friends the other night and funnily enough we were talking about this subject.

Most are in relationships and feel like they could get married soon, I asked the question 'would you be as set on marrying if it was just going to the registry office signing the papers and going home for dinner'... the answers were shocking. 

Some people want a wedding more than marriage. 

• Upvote 1

As someone said the people of today lack that staying power.

We live in a throwaway culture though where unfortunately relationships are included in the commodity section for a lot of people.

People these days mad selfish aswell.

+

love & hate are two sides of the same coin

the hate u  feel when u fall out of love/relationship ends is a next ting, it's literally the opposite of love and equally powerful

Divorce rates being high and women being more independent/free thinking isn't a coincidence imo

Co sign and then you factor in the declining influence of religion and it's easy to see why divorces are at an all time high.

Man brought up religion you know lol smh

from personal experience, we grew into completely different people with different aspirations in life, u should deffo make sure youve grown and know yourself before making such commitment.

You got married young I swear, was it cos you had a child?

I know a girl getting married cos she is pregnant and she has only been with the guy for a year, my whole family think it's a disaster.

Did she really change when you look back?

Yea for the child, we were just teenage bf gf puppy love before that.

Yea she did change she hit her 20s and started getting piercings, tattoos and going clubbing with her mates. Tbh i got the feeling she resented missing out on shit in her teens with her mates so wanted to do that shit, but for me i wanted a more islamic girl with a brain.

Thinking about it our interests became the exact opposites.

I know alot of young couples of our generation considering divorce right now.

Fuark.

I know a girl who was married for 1 year lol.

Deep.

I think this 'married too quickly' theory is a bit of a myth though because I'm sure our grandparents generation never courted for too long.

A lot of reasons why tbh.

Resentment and lack of staying power at the top, I think with our elders it was different, men was men and woman was woman, the lines socially was drawn not like nowadays, and of course we are mostly 1st generation Westerners, so they had that I guess...

Divorce rates being high and women being more independent/free thinking isn't a coincidence imo

Co sign and then you factor in the declining influence of religion and it's easy to see why divorces are at an all time high.

Man brought up religion you know lol smh

:/

In times gone by divorce was seen as something shameful and the influence of religion played a big role in that perception, as a result a lot of people would remain in marriages whether they were happy or not.

With the waning influence of religion that shameful stigma isn't attached to divorce these days hence why people are much quicker and more comfortable about getting divorced.

I don't think it's a coincidence that divorce rates in a country like Pakistan (24,141 between 2008 and 2011) where 97% of the the population consider themselves to be Muslim is so much lower than it is in England (117,558 in 2011 alone) especially when you consider their population is 3 times that of the UK.

I don't think it's simply a case of married people in times gone by being happier, I just think the way in which we address that unhappiness has changed drastically due to the role of religion and the growing independence of women.

A reply without 'creampie' greek' etc would be good.

• Upvote 2