Rooney ''England Should Play How Everton Play Now Under Martinez''

Mame Biram Diouf

Wayne Rooney believes English players have the ability to play a more technical brand of football, citing Everton manager Roberto Martinez as an influence.

England have been in the spotlight as Football Association chairman Greg Dyke seeks to address the problems that have led to the decline of the country's national team, and many feel that young English players are not taught to retain possession in the manner of Spain and Germany.

However, Martinez has introduced a greater emphasis on passing football at Everton since replacing David Moyes in the summer, and Rooney says that shows the players are capable of adapting.

"You look at what Martinez has done at Everton in terms of style of football which they used to play compared to what they play now - there are a lot of English players who have adapted to that," he said.

"Why can't the younger players do that? I am sure [the FA] will be looking at everything and coming up with the best decision."

There are also concerns that young English players are not given first-team football by Premier League clubs, but Rooney said: "I always believed if there are players who are good enough, they will play: Ross Barkley, Jack Wilshere, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain."

I don't like the guy

But credit where it is due

One of the few players to finish 1 up on Ferguson

Disrespect a club and hand in two transfer requests and get a payrise

Now he is indirecting his new manager

/

But the audacity of this guy to fucking talking about playing a passing game and retaining possession, fuck out of here

Could you imagine being that talented and just throwing it all away like Wazza has.

I mean he'll look back on his career and can still be happy with the PL titles, the CL, the FA Cup's, the England caps and a fat bank account.

But he's never gonna go down as one of the greats.

What a pillock.

Good send tbh :lol:

Could you imagine being that talented and just throwing it all away like Wazza has.

I mean he'll look back on his career and can still be happy with the PL titles, the CL, the FA Cup's, the England caps and a fat bank account.

But he's never gonna go down as one of the greats.

What a pillock.

you say that but if u look at his record, its up der with some of the current " world class"( as some of u put it) players....

he could break the english national team scoring record

he could also break uniteds record...

he may not go down as one of the world greats but he will be appreciated 

This sorry excuse for a #10 that has attempted 41 long balls this season has the cheek to talk.

The way Fergie set it up so Moyes could sell this c*nt and not look like the bad guy was a great opportunity that this spineless coward let slip through his hands.

f*ck Rooney, hope he gets injured for the rest of the season. 

• Upvote 7