Stand as you work

Zizouz

Studies have claimed major health benefits for standing for much of the day as opposed to sitting. The difference is marked, explains Michael Mosley.

Guess how many hours a day you spend sitting? Fewer than eight? More than 10? A recent survey found that many of us spend up to 12 hours a day sitting on our bottoms looking at computers or watching television. If you throw in the seven hours we spend sleeping then that adds up to a remarkable 19 hours a day being sedentary.

Sitting down as much as this is clearly bad for us and some studies suggest that those who sit all day live around two years less than those who are more active. Most of us are guilty of excess sitting. We sit at work, in the car and at home, moving only to shift from one seat to another.

Even if you exercise on a regular basis that may not be enough. There is mounting evidence that exercise will not undo the damage done by prolonged sitting. Our technology has made us the most sedentary humans in history.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-24532996

"If you want to put that into activity levels," Dr Buckley says, "then that would be the equivalent of running about 10 marathons a year. Just by standing up three or four hours in your day at work."

Anyone ever think about this or think they need to be on their feet more often?

Not really sure how people can get away with standing at work if they're in an office environment but I'm thinking there're definitely things we do seated that we could do while standing.

This is fraff. 

I used to have plantar fasciiatis  a few months ago and didnt seem to go. It started when I wore smart hard heel shoes and walking to various locations at work. 

It didn't go until they gave me an injection on the leg. 

This seems to be common with people who stand alot.

I think you need a good balance of both. Generally most peeps that sit down at work or public transport don't know how to sit straight & properly anyway.

I am an active person though. I really cant sit down for too long. 

This is fraff. 

I used to have plantar fasciiatis  a few months ago and didnt seem to go. It started when I wore smart hard heel shoes and walking to various locations at work. 

It didn't go until they gave me an injection on the leg. 

This seems to be common with people who stand alot.

I think you need a good balance of both. Generally most peeps that sit down at work or public transport don't know how to sit straight & properly anyway.

I am an active person though. I really cant sit down for too long. 

had to google that condition, sounds painful

true that they didn't really consider the physical toll standing for long periods can take and all they gave was an anecdote of a woman with Parkinson's feeling better for standing at work

but the main benefits were more to do with a healthier heart and such

Since then prolonged sitting has not only been linked to problems with blood glucose control, but also a sharp reduction in the activity of an enzyme called lipoprotein lipase, which breaks down blood fats and makes them available as a fuel to the muscles. This reduction in enzyme activity leads to raised levels of triglycerides and fats in the blood, increasing the risk of heart disease.