My crazy new jamo life (Di socket docy on ch4)24th oct

Afroman

Black community not happy read the comments

51jjN1CI9wL.jpg

http://www.voice-online.co.uk/article/my-crazy-new-jamaican-life-played-old-stereotypes

http://pappzd.com/2013/10/shola-ama-narrating-my-crazy-new-jamaican-life/

STEREOTYPICAL AND offensive are two words that spring to mind when describing My Crazy New Jamaican Life.

As I eagerly awaited the new Channel 4 show I did not think I would be left fuming by its end.

I was looking forward to watching the documentary by Vanessa Van-Yeboah for two reasons. One, my background is Jamaican and although I knew the show would be following two white British women, I was intrigued to find out why they were obsessed with Jamaican culture.

Secondly, there are a lack of shows on TV which explore and discuss the black community so I tend to tune in when there is anything of this kind on.

However, within minutes my excitement turned to disappointment as I could tell the direction the show was going in.

My Crazy New Jamaican Life followed Debbie, 25, and Holly, 19. Debbie was from Lewisham, south London, and in a relationship with Jamaican-born Variel, with whom she had three children.

During filming, Debbie found out that Variel was expecting a baby with another woman, and although she was unhappy there was another “baby mother” it did not faze her because it was part of the “Jamaican culture” she so loved.

How is having numerous “baby mothers” and “breeding” multiple women regarded as “Jamaican culture”? Although the show tried to back this point up by stating Variel’s father, who had been married nearly 20 years, had children outside of his marriage, there were no statistics to support this.

I agree that I see and know Jamaican men that have children with different women, but this is not limited only to “Jamaican culture”.

The only plus to this show was that Variel was not shown to be a deadbeat dad; he worked three jobs so I am assuming he looked after his children financially.

The other plus was that Holly from Kent, the second British woman featured, seemed to gain confidence and respite from bullying through her love of bashment music. But once again, bashment music and the dances moves that come with it are not the only things which represent Jamaican culture.

By the time the episode finished, I was not the only one whose blood was boiling - Twitter was awash with people criticising the show and many even attacked the narrator Shola Ama for her part.

Channel 4 is known for featuring minority groups in a negative light and came under heavy criticism for My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding.

However, My Crazy New Jamaican Life was a one-off documentary. It was not a series which showed different aspects of Jamaican culture.

Some stupid article.

U knw what I was thinkin, it wasnt about how jamaicans live, it was about how those two white women live, one wiv a jamaican born bf & the others life as an avid bashment rave goer, who overcome some major demons. 

Didnt offend me either, not even in the slightest. Almost think people wanted more from the programme that wasnt intended for anything other to show the lives of the two women.

Nail, head.

• Upvote 4

Watched this yesterday and it wasn't that bad. Certainly compared to something like my big fat gypsy wedding I was happy that for once there was not a hint of criminality or doing crime to earn a living. Variel for his two baby mums looked like a hard working guy. Yes the fact he had two baby mums was a bit ehh but he obviously loved his kids. Even his main chick wasn't as annoying as feared. She had her head screwed on. And from knowing chicks like that who had been disowned by their families for dating a black guy. The support and love she got from his family was actually good to see.

The other chick was interesting from hearing her mum talk this girl was obvious bullied pretty badly,by some very hateful people and so like many kids looks to something to get into something 'different' for some people it's getting into something like Japanese culture. She got into bashment,yeah through someone lame like Sean Paul but she was respectful in parts yes her song was :lol: but I'm glad we didn't see two extreme sockets.

That's what I was fearing at first.

Some stupid article.

U knw what I was thinkin, it wasnt about how jamaicans live, it was about how those two white women live, one wiv a jamaican born bf & the others life as an avid bashment rave goer, who overcome some major demons

Didnt offend me either, not even in the slightest. Almost think people wanted more from the programme that wasnt intended for anything other to show the lives of the two women.

Nail, head.

Di daemonz

Some of these comments on the  voice article,feelings got caught bwoy  .

Lou Purnell

"I felt angry after program, I live in a white area and I have two childern with a jamaican bone man but he don't have other childern and women outside our family and was angry that ppl are going to see this and be tared with the same brush not all jamaican men are like that, puts the wrong light on mixed families"

Feel to say to her you sure about that love

Maybe it's just me but this girl ain't ugly imo.

Quite terrible what she went through aswell, the killer was when the mum said the bullys parents went to the same church, fucking joketing.

Must be 1 of the most debilitating feelings to have a child who is going through that, some horrible people out there.

• Upvote 4

I FELT SORRY FOR HER WHEN THE CLIP SHOWED HER SAYING SHE HAS NO FRIENDS AND SHE GOES TO THESE PLACES ON THE NATIONAL RAIL TO GO TO BASHMENT RAVES... THAT PART WAS VERY SAD

YH SHE IS FACIALLY SEXY