BBM on iOS and Android

Thizz

dont think i know anyone that still uses a blackberry except for my pops...

RIMs BlackBerry's were the original smartphone, it revolutionized how we sent and received emails on our phones, it was capable of pushing email direct from dedicated servers onto your phone, and this was in 2003, ten years ago!

The current phone market (Samsung & Apple) are generally aimed at the sheeps in society who are easily amused by touching a screen.

I have a HTC work phone and its dreadful in terms of typing anything (always hitting the wrong button), were as my BlackBerry I can type faster with literally no typing error.

The biggest downfall with smartphones today is the Battery life, thats due to using Lithium-ion batteries.

In short a touchscreen smartphone requires a constant charge on the screen for touch capacitive as well as illuminating the screen, this is the biggest killer in terms of draining the battery.

What we really need to see in the next gen smart phones is the use of Lithium air batteries which have a 5-15 times energy density than current ones meaning your phone could potentially go 6 days without needing a charge on moderate use.

BlackBerry Ltd. announced on Friday it expects a net operating loss of $950-million to $995-million in its fiscal second quarter and confirmed it plans massive job cuts.

It said it will cut 4,500 jobs as it targets reducing its operating expenditures by about 50 per cent by the end of the first quarter of fiscal 2015.

Trading is halted in BlackBerry shares. The last price was $10.57 (Canadian.)

Briefing.com notes that there had been “chatter” throughout the day about more activity around a possible sale of the company, with a rumour that PriceWaterhouseCoopers had been retained by the firm for a leveraged buyout.

BBM for Android and iPhone update – Note from the head of BBM

Hi Android and iPhone users,

This is Andrew Bocking, head of BBM at BlackBerry. As a follow up to our first blog post on Saturday, I want to take a moment to provide you with an update on the rollout of BBM on Android and iPhone.

Last week, an unreleased, older version of the BBM for Android app was posted on numerous file sharing sites. We were aware of an issue with this unreleased version of the BBM for Android app. This older version resulted in volumes of data traffic orders of magnitude higher than normal for each active user and impacted the system in abnormal ways. The version we were planning to release on Saturday addressed these issues, however we could not block users of the unreleased version if we went ahead with the launch.

We attempted to address the problems caused by the unreleased version throughout the day on Saturday, but as active users of the unreleased app neared a million – and accelerated – it became clear that the only way to address the issue was to pause the rollout for both Android and iPhone.

The team is now focused on adjusting the system to completely block this unreleased version of the Android app when we go live with the official BBM for Android app. We are also making sure that the system is reinforced to handle this kind of scenario in the future. While this may sound like a simple task – it’s not. This will take some time and I do not anticipate launching this week.

Thank you for your patience while we take the time needed to deliver the experience you expect from BBM. We will continue to provide you with updates here on InsideBlackBerry.com and through @BBM on Twitter. We will notify everyone who has pre-registered on BBM.com when BBM is available on Android and iPhone.

Andrew Bocking

EVP, BBM

smh 

just continue to take L's