Tevez to Liverpool?

The Infamous

LIVERPOOL CLOSING IN ON ã20M TEVEZ Sunday May 20,2007 By John RichardsonLink: http://www.dailyexpress.co.uk/posts/view/7491LIVERPOOL boss Rafa Benitez wants to splash a large part of his clubââ¬â¢s Champions League cash on West Hamââ¬â¢s controversial striker Carlos Tevez.Benitez believes he holds a powerful bargaining tool ââ¬â as Tevezââ¬â¢s former Corinthians and West Ham team-mate Javier Mascherano is already at Anfield.While the row over who actually owns Tevez rumbles on and could still affect the Premiership relegation situation, Benitez is quietly making his move for the brilliant Argentinian.Real Madrid and Inter Milan have also been linked with Tevez but that hasnââ¬â¢t put Benitez off.He has been promised substantial backing this summer from joint American owners George Gillett and Tom Hicks while his sideââ¬â¢s amazing run to a second Champions League final in three seasons has helped fill club coffers.Tevez could cost ã20million and Liverpool will step up their discreet moves to land him after Wednesday nightââ¬â¢s final in Athens against AC Milan.They are ready to wrap up a ã12m move for Mascherano and want to make it an Argentine double.

West Ham chairman Eggert Magnusson is optimistic that Carlos Tevez will still be at Upton Park next season.Reports suggest the Argentine, pivotal in his team's successful battle against relegation, is a target for some of Europe's biggest clubs, including Real Madrid and Manchester United.However Magnusson is confident that talks with Tevez and his representative, Kia Joorabchian, once the player returns from a sabbatical in Argentina will prove fruitful."Carlos is a West Ham player and we will try to convince him to stay," Magnusson told the Daily Mail."I hope Carlos will be a West Ham player next season. He is a good lad and a great player. The fans love him and he knows that. He is the kind of player who needs to be loved."I am at least optimistic that he will stay. I think we will talk in two weeks' time as Carlos is in Argentina at the moment."