Why I hate being BLACK

The Somalian

I hate being black because some people black people don't consider me to be black o_O

because of the obvious reasons being your actually not black your brown mixed race

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Had too google if somalions are black

SINCE THE break-up of Somalia’s government in 1991, many of its citizens migrated to Britain to escape the civil war, but the fortunes of many Somalis have not proved to be as rosy as expected.

Somalis have had strong ties with Britain for centuries, as seamen and traders visiting the ports of London, Cardiff and Bristol. Over the last two decades however the Somali population has grown to 153,094.

Despite this, they are among the poorest, worst-educated and least-employed in Britain, while facing stigma from within the black community. Unemployment has hit Somalis particularly hard, with many unable to find work. The latest Office of National Statistics showing that just 10 per cent are in full-time work.

RACISM

As well as dealing with racism from their white peers Somalis also face pressure from their fellow African Caribbean and African migrants.

Abdul Omar Rahman, a 22-year-old public service worker, from Walthamstow, east London, says he and his Somali friends faced verbal abuse from black kids, in particular, when he was growing up.

“When we were at school it was weird because people would be asking you if Somalis are black and stuff. Some of the other kids from Jamaica and Nigeria would always cuss us about how we look different,” he said.

“They would say our dads were refugee warriors and pirates. In hindsight, it was really bad stuff, but it was just the way it went.”

Despite Rahman’s nonchalance regarding the verbal exchanges with fellow pupils, the problem signals a wider problem, which is not helped by the school performance of Somali children.

In 2010-11, a third of Somali pupils achieved 5 A* to C grades in their GCSEs, including mathematics and English, compared with 59 per cent of Bangladeshi pupils and 78 per cent of Nigerian kids.

MOBOT: Mo Farah won over the British nation with his 2012 Olympic success

Many of their households are run by women as husbands or fathers who remained in Somalia, and it is common for them not to speak much English, if at all. Added to the 80 per cent of Somali-speaking pupils who qualify for free school meals and the majority of British Somalis who rent from local councils, the issue of poverty is a chilling reality.

Fatuma Osman manages community projects at the British Somali Community organisation in northwest London, providing educational workshops and tutoring for young Somali children to boost their studies.

PROBLEMS

“Our programmes are a great way of helping the community overcome its problems. For example, the children have been really receptive to our tutoring and mentoring programmes. In fact, in most cases, our lessons and safe environment has seen kids go to school and substantially improve their grades,” Osman stated.

Pointing to a project her organisation runs, Osman says giving Somali boys the opportunity to gain experience working in Somali businesses can be beneficial for both parties.

She said: “We allow young boys to do some volunteering and help in shops or centres. Business owners get good, keen helpers, while the youths get good experience of working in the real world.”

While language barriers, stereotypes and racism may have contributed to the underachievement and isolation of the Somali community in the UK, cultural changes may be turning the tide.

Young Somalis embrace their nomadic heritage, but many have spent much of their life in British culture, sharing dual identities exemplified by role models such as the award-winning journalist Rageh Omaar and Britain’s most successful track and field athlete Mo Farah.

Dr Laura Hammond, head of the Department of Development Studies at SOAS, University of London, said it is within the Somali tradition to integrate into different countries, while also placing an emphasis on family and relatives in their homeland.

“The stereotypes of Somalis don’t help. There is a perception of all Somalis coming to the UK to be on the dole, but that’s a misconception. They are very interested in integrating in their new lands, trying to be as successful as possible, so they can be in a better position to help those back home.”

whites dont look up to us at all . They are just scared of us  . Most of them believe di hype and think we carry gats ,shanks and baseball bats 

moron is your generalisation of whites

whites dont look up to us at all . They are just scared of us  . Most of them believe di hype and think we carry gats ,shanks and baseball bats 

why would whites be scared of black people unless they got a knife or gun there hand i don't see where your coming from

Guys a lilly livered nerd tbh but He's right when he says a lot of blacks hate being black , thats the reason why we have so many uncle toms but the way I see it is ,if you are ignorant enough to be afraid of this 6 ft 2 inch , pounded yam eating African then GOOD . I prefer you to keep your distance . I remember one time i was walking behind one white lady and I needed directions to somewhere , so I said " excuse me " she turned round , looked at me then started Walking fast , I said AGAIN excuse me . Believe this silly cow decided to Run accross the road in the middle of traffic and almost get lick down by a van. Believe I wold not give CPR if she needed it

Might have been the way you were dressed. Your overall appearance.

I mean I had something similar happen to me when I was asking for directions from some white guy in Kensington. I was dressed in a superdry hoody jeans and converse. Facial hair a little grown out. I'm Asian, no ones afraid of us really.

On the other hand, same situation when I am on the way to work. In a suit, shirt, tie, shoes. People don't feel threatened at all.

While Black people are subject to racism in various ways, these incidences are no higher than what the Asian population is subjected to. Dare I say it's less as black media/sportsmen/popular culture figures, are far more prevalent in UK society.

There is however (not tarring the entire Black race) a greater victim complex in Black society. I on one hand put it down to the way I was dressed. But it seems a lot of Black people will draw for the race card in the same situation.

Other examples also exist including but not limited to:

Poverty = governments fault.

Lacking skills/education = racist teachers not helping them.

I have heard these on here and from people IRL. Thing is a lot of people were raised in Social housing and went to shitty schools but don't draw for these excuses as readily.

Self hate is nothing more than an excuse for people to blame their own short comings on some form of perceived racial prejudice held by society.

The only instance where I think this actually applies is with Somalians who are generally tarred with the same brush, no matter the individual.

• Downvote 6

why would whites be scared of black people unless they got a knife or gun there hand i don't see where your coming from

That's the question we've been asking since they came

cmon somalis are the worst hated race up and down the country..undisputed

follwed by asians,my teacher used to impersonate the injuns in class :rofl:

5% of the population accounting for 15% of the gdp. People hated back on Indians because he was mister bud bud. Now mister bud bud son's an investment banker and people now just be hating full stop.

This is the gods honest truth. People hate on Asians because in one generation they have generated wealth, become the most educated and put the native English to shame who have remained stuck in the same cycle of poverty. Further more instead of ethnics supporting others, other races choose to hate also because they haven't achieved the same kind of success since hiring these shores.

Blacks are more loved than Asians.

Working class whites hate Asians cos they stick to their own culture, don't go daan the pub, don't play in the England football team, speak different languages, have weird religions.

Middle class liberal guardian reading whites love blacks cos they get to support their struggle, talk about institutional racism and bash conservatives. They can't do that with Asians cos Asians are more successful. Asians aren't "cool"

• Upvote 1

5% of the population accounting for 15% of the gdp. People hated back on Indians because he was mister bud bud. Now mister bud bud son's an investment banker and people now just be hating full stop.

This is the gods honest truth. People hate on Asians because in one generation they have generated wealth, become the most educated and put the native English to shame who have remained stuck in the same cycle of poverty. Further more instead of ethnics supporting others, other races choose to hate also because they haven't achieved the same kind of success since hiring these shores.

Yh Indians are like the Jews

People hate cos they stick to themselves and go from poverty to success in two generations

Considering most hate pakis its got nothing to do with them generating wealth because pakis compared to the injuns (the  people who really own shit) are poor. /

Whites hate pakis because of their hypocritical,barbaric religion,their extreme views and them raping their  vulnerable white girls

Considering most hate pakis its got nothing to do with them generating wealth because pakis compared to the injuns (the people who really own sh*t) are poor. /

Whites hate pakis because of their hypocritical,barbaric religion,their extreme views and them raping their vulnerable white girls

I understand the distinction between Asian races. Yeah Pakistanis are poorer and tend to have a higher rate of benefit claims than Indians.

But to Dave down the pub I am a paki. Simple. Doesn't matter that I am Sri Lankan in origin.

The point I made is valid. Ther is a lot of hate on those who have generated wealth in a single generation and this coming against the Indians has come from all quarters

Yh Indians are like the Jews

People hate cos they stick to themselves and go from poverty to success in two generations

My extended family is quite successful. Not by sticking to themselves.

You have to remember people like my dad came in the 60's when you couldn't even go down the park without seeing signs such as WASPS only. So yeah you stick to your own kind.

Back then if you had a business English folk wouldn't come to you so you had to really on your community to support and likewise you would do the same for them. Nowadays Dave will walk into asian man's business with no qualms usually. So the Asian community is a lot open. Also guys largely anglicised which is going people open up more.

I think people back then played it smart.

Blacks are more loved than Asians.

Working class whites hate Asians cos they stick to their own culture, don't go daan the pub, don't play in the England football team, speak different languages, have weird religions.

Middle class liberal guardian reading whites love blacks cos they get to support their struggle, talk about institutional racism and bash conservatives. They can't do that with Asians cos Asians are more successful. Asians aren't "cool"

what about conservative middle class whites?

• Upvote 1