Cant Really Buy Happiness...

Guest 90210

A string of lottery winners have discovered that a huge fortune cannot always buy happiness.

Notorious Michael Carroll, pictured right, of Downham Market, Norfolk, was 19 when he won £9.7million in 2002.

Carroll, who had a history of petty crime, became known as the 'Lotto lout' when he collected his jackpot wearing an electronic tag.

In 2010 he said he was being forced to sell his house and wanted to work as a dustman after squandering his fortune.

Iorworth Hoare, from near Newcastle-upon-Tyne, was dubbed the 'Lotto rapist' after scooping £7.2 million in 2004 when he bought a Lotto Extra ticket while on day release from prison. Details of his rape conviction came to light after the win.

The High Court later ordered that he pay close to £100,000 to his victim in a landmark ruling. His bill for legal fees reportedly reached almost £1 million.

Mark Gardiner, a glazier from Hastings, Sussex, won a half share of £22.6million in 1995. Years later he spoke about how the money had ;ruined my life'.

He said he met with jealously, false allegations and legal claims from ex-girlfriends. 'If I could turn the clock back, I would move to a different area,' he added.

Roger and Lara Griffiths, from Wetherby, West Yorkshire, netted £1.8 million on the National Lottery in 2005. He had worked as an IT manager and she as a performing arts teacher but both quit their jobs.

Mrs Griffiths later spoke of how the win wrecked their marriage while Mr Griffiths said he had been left with just £7 in the bank. She told ITV's Daybreak programme said she had been forced to sell her collection of designer handbags to get by.

Callie Rogers, from Workington, Cumbria, became Britain's youngest ever lottery winner at 16 when she won £1.9 million in 2003.

Ten years later she said she had frittered the money away on drugs and alcohol and became so depressed she attempted suicide.

The mother-of-three said she had been left with just £2,000 but added: 'I'm finally truly happy.'

article-2510414-02C376E40000044D-708_306

A couple who scooped a £148million lottery jackpot have blamed  the ‘stress’ of becoming overnight multimillionaires on their decision to divorce.

But while Adrian and Gillian Bayford claim the huge sum led to the split, there’s also the small matter of a rumoured affair between Mrs Bayford and the couple’s gardener –  and accusations that Mr Bayford ran over his alleged love rival with a golf buggy.

Mr Bayford, 43, is now being sued by landscaper Chris Tovey, who claims he was deliberately mowed down in the 200-acre grounds of the pair’s mansion.

article-2510414-148BEFED000005DC-694_634

article-2188782-148A9C7F000005DC-165_634

Friends also say that while Mrs Bayford revelled in the luxury lifestyle afforded by their EuroMillions win, Mr Bayford struggled to enjoy the high life and had not settled in at the couple’s country estate.

Just 15 months after they scooped the  second biggest ever lottery prize, he has left the £6million Georgian mansion where his wife still lives.

He has moved into a more modest £500,000, four-bedroom home in Haverhill, Suffolk – the area where the couple originally lived.

Mr Bayford told the Mail last night: ‘Gillian and I have split.’ 

He denied that there was anyone else involved, saying: ‘There’s never been anything like that at all.’

Instead, the stress of managing their fortune meant they had not spent time together – and their Grade-II Cambridgeshire pile became a chore to maintain, he claimed.

‘When you win the lottery it’s so stressful,’ he said. 

‘I’ve worked so hard on those grounds [at the mansion], I’ve not had a break, we’ve never had time together as a couple. 

'I mean you cannot change what’s happened. It is just something that happened. But we’re great friends, we’re still getting on.’ 

He added: ‘Things happen. Sometimes in life you have to move on. We’re all happy now and life goes on.’

Friends last night dismissed the rumours over an affair between Mrs Bayford and Mr Tovey, 40, as nonsense.

The golf buggy crash that has left Mr Tovey on crutches seven months on was not deliberate, they claim.

Best friend Richard Hudspith said: ‘Adrian was driving an off-road vehicle on his private land when the accident occurred in April this year. 

'There were two witnesses who  have given testimonies that it was an accident. Chris was injured but he did not suffer a broken leg.'

article-0-15FD11D6000005DC-483_634x459.j

New life: Mrs Bayford is said to be living in the couple's £6million Georgian mansion, which has more than 100 acres of land

article-2510414-198C611100000578-257_634

Court claims: Chris Tovey said he was hit by a golf buggy

According to friends, Mr Bayford had never learned to drive and could not enjoy the couple’s new fleet of cars – or even the golf buggy they bought, which they say he crashed while trying to navigate his grounds.

But Mrs Bayford revelled in the luxury lifestyle afforded by their win – she has had a makeover and slimmed down, and enjoys their fleet of cars, which includes an Audi, a Mercedes and a sporty Mini.

However, a former friend said the win had ‘changed her’ and that she had lost touch many of her old acquaintances. 

Cindy Smith, 46, said: ‘She’s definitely changed since she won the money, which is a real shame.’

Mrs Bayford opened a children’s play barn with Mrs Smith in May after the win, but they fell out and it has since closed down and been sold. 

‘I’ve deleted her numbers from my phone,’ she said.

Friends of Mr Bayford said he preferred a more humble lifestyle to his wife. 

Mr Hudspith, who ran a second-hand record shop with Mr Bayford until shortly after the win, said: ‘Adrian didn’t want to do anything special after winning all that money.

article-2510414-0173CDEB00000514-587_634

Mrs Bayford later said she hoped the windfall would allow the family to spend more time together. 

The former healthcare assistant at Cambridge’s Addenbrooke’s Hospital said the pair – who married in 2004 – were like ‘ships in the night’ to earn the income the family needed. 

‘This money has come at the right time for us and is going to benefit the whole family,’ she said.

Mr Tovey, who lives with his wife in a small terraced house in Haverhill, told the Mail last night: ‘I’ve got a lot at stake and I’m not willing to comment. 

'They’ve separated, which is news to me, and I played no part in their separation.’

His wife, Teri, added: ‘He was nothing to do with their marriage.’

HIGHLIGHT TEXT

CLICK THIS

IZN6UJg.png

ffs

its quite simple

you win the lottery you buy 100 houses... you rent them out... undercut everyone on the rent coz you can coz you dont need the money

dont need to work a bob diddly in your lifetime...

'According to friends, Mr Bayford had never learned to drive and could not enjoy the couple’s new fleet of cars – or even the golf buggy they bought, which they say he crashed while trying to navigate his grounds.

But Mrs Bayford revelled in the luxury lifestyle afforded by their win – she has had a makeover and slimmed down, and enjoys their fleet of cars, which includes an Audi, a Mercedes and a sporty Mini.

However, a former friend said the win had ‘changed her’ and that she had lost touch many of her old acquaintances.'

http://i4.mirror.co.uk/incoming/article1266365.ece/ALTERNATES/s615/Euromillions%20lottery%20winners%20Gillian%20Bayford%20goes%20shopping%20for%20her%20dream%20Audi%20in%20Dundee-1266365

:lol:

Bait he was happy with her but she was looking to get out

The millions just helped her

/

As for those who lose the money well you just got to take one look at them...

However I read 1 couple got all there pees tied up till like 2018 and have blown the rest and they tryna sue the bank lol

At least they were smart enough to listen to the bank in the first place.