Cannabis legalized in Uruguay

Lens

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-25328656

Uruguay has become the first country in the world to make it legal to grow, sell and consume marijuana.

After nearly 12 hours of debate, senators gave the government-sponsored bill their historic final approval.

The law allowing registered Uruguayans over 18 to buy up to 40g (1,4oz) of the drug a month is not expected to come into force before April.

di new hamsterdam?

nope, germany - Berlin

Berlin borough pushing for Germany’s first cannabis coffee-shop

Published time: November 29, 2013 17:02 

Edited time: November 30, 2013 16:02

marijuana-berlin-shop-opens.si.jpg

Reuters / Johannes Eisele

Tags

DrugsEUGermany

Berlin could soon be enjoying its very own legal marijuana, as the parliament of the trendy and hip Friedrichshain-Kreuzberg district voted overwhelmingly in favor of a measure that could see the first legal coffee shop in the country.

After barely a month in office, the then-newly elected Mayor of the area, the Green Party’s Monika Hermann, came up with the idea in September to turn her district into a zone free of cannabis laws, akin to Amsterdam’s coffee shops or Copenhagen’s famed Christiania district. 

The idea was born out of a realization that dealing with drug crime in the area’s famous Görlitzer Park was simply too much hassle for authorities, when their time could be better spent tackling hard drugs and organized crime. 

According to Hermann, since the beginning of the year police have raided the park 113 times, detaining 984 people and launching criminal proceedings against 310 people. 

The result of the district parliament’s vote has been turned into an application to be submitted to the Federal Institute for Drugs and Medical Devices. This should turn the infamous Görlitzer Park into a pilot project for marijuana legalization, the Berliner Zeitung reported on Friday, following the Green Party’s Thursday announcement. 

The resulting petition was drawn up in cooperation with various experts, counseling centers and area residents. 

“It's not that I want to create a happy drug country,” Hermann stressed. “But I believe that we can mitigate the problem of drugs in the park by it.” 

She believes that the “ban policy has failed” and that “we must now think of unusual solutions.” 

Although the possession and sale of soft drugs in Germany is still against the law, police leniency towards pot has been on the rise, while steps toward its decriminalization have been taking place since the mid-nineties.

1.jpg

Reuters / Nick Adams

One example of this is that possession of small amounts is no longer considered a criminal offense, while under the new proposed law, possession of as much as 15 grams could result in as little as a slap on the wrist. 

There are grey areas everywhere in the application of the law as well, with the northern part of the country being more relaxed about the drug than the south, although leniency is evident all over. And this is a concern for some of Germany’s more leftist and democratic parties as well, with some of them asserting there are much harder and more dangerous drugs than pot. 

Krezuberg will now seek to iron out the remaining legal issues with marijuana, including questions relating to who will be the distributors and sellers. 

Noteworthy is the fact that according to Article 3 of the Narcotics Act, sufficient public interest has the potential to lead to legalization, provided that reasonable public and scientific evidence is given. 

However, the German authorities don’t seem too thrilled by the idea of a coffee shop operating at Görlitzer Park. 

“Cannabis is not a harmless substance, but holds for many, especially young people significant health risks,” Christina Köhler-Azara, Germany’s Drug Commissioner, stressed. 

The Health Ministry spokeswoman said that a “drug is a drug”, and despite the fact that possession of small amounts of pot is allowed, selling it is still illegal.  

Soon we will become a society of potheads

trust me

allow all this liberal shit.

society might benefit from decriminalization, economic boosts and all that shit but u ent gna know it cause instead of scientists n sociologists ur gna have a bunch of fucking cartoonists and snack inventors running amock 

the only addendum i wish to add is this will probably only happen here cause other countries know how to control themselves

• Downvote 3

trust me

allow all this liberal sh*t.

society might benefit from decriminalization, economic boosts and all that sh*t but u ent gna know it cause instead of scientists n sociologists ur gna have a bunch of f*cking cartoonists and snack inventors running amock 

the only addendum i wish to add is this will probably only happen here cause other countries know how to control themselves

Anyone that wants to smoke weed already does, decriminalising it won't make the country a bunch of potheads. 

Some Daily Mail view. 

• Upvote 5

I used to smoke a lot but weed made me paranoid so stopped

blazed everyday for the best part of 8 yrs

jus makes me anxious as fuck now

need to have a drink before i can enjoy a smoke

got a bottle of jd n bit of lemon upstairs, stress aint gona ruin my festive season

trust me

society might benefit from decriminalization, economic boosts and all that sh*t but u ent gna know it cause instead of scientists n sociologists ur gna have a bunch of f*cking cartoonists and snack inventors running amock 

Anyone that wants to smoke weed already does, decriminalising it won't make the country a bunch of potheads. 

Some Daily Mail view. 

we live in a culture of excess remember that bro

weed aint benefited my life in any way neither has it subtracted

are there any benefits in life to come from bunning? 

ill wait, in the meantime though if u r a waster or have a predilection to being lazy n start bunnin a scores a day 

ur contribution to society is gna be severely limited. to say the least.

trust me

Some Daily Mail view. 

ill wait, in the meantime though if u r a waster or have a predilection to being lazy n start bunnin a scores a day 

Just because there are not benefits to something doesn't mean it should be illegal. Are there benefits to smoking cigarettes? Eating junk food?

People bun regardless, decriminalising it won't lead to a huge increase in people regularly smoking it.

People won't end up with police records for petty shit. What if that person who smokes a scores a day decides to fix up but can't get a decent job cause he got caught shotting on the side.

Prohibition doesn't work. 

• Upvote 8

Marijuana laws around the world: what you need to know
As Uruguay passes a landmark law allowing citizens to buy, grow and use cannabis, we take a look at drug laws in other countries around the world

Uruguay has become the first country in the world to make it legal to grow, sell and consume marijuana, but that doesn't mean there will be cannabis cafes popping up on the streets of the capital or in the popular holiday resorts on the Atlantic coast.

Confusion over the country's historic marijuana bill, which was passed on Tuesday, has already prompted a Montevideo-based comedy team pHumor.tv to set up a spoof pharmacy, which claimed to be the first officially licensed vendor.

"We want to be the pharmacy of choice for pot heads," the pharmacist says conspiratorially to unsuspecting customers, caught on hidden cameras. He then proceeds to push a tray of government-branded brownies, before a stooge cop comes in and tries to arrest a couple of highly confused students. The video has already gone viral in Uruguay and you can watch it above with English subtitles.

Only pharmacies will be allowed to sell the drug and certainly not as loosely as in the video. The rules state that consumers have to be over 18, on a government register and Uruguayan citizens. Sales are also to be limited to 40g (1.4oz) per month. Registered users will also be able to grow up to six plants at home, but for personal use only.

President Jose Mujica has made it clear drug tourism is not a road he is looking to go down. So think twice before booking that flight (unless you're going for its other assets – its chilled-out beach towns, chic resorts, and unspoilt interior.

Drug laws around the world can be complicated. Here is a look at four places around the world and where you stand if you plan to light up.

Colorado state

The law: It is legal to possess, use, distribute and cultivate cannabis.

The reality: Over 21s can legally possess up to an ounce of cannabis and once the pot shops begin to open for business on January 1 2014, locals and tourists will be able to by one quarter of an ounce in a single transaction. For those under 21, cannabis possession, use and sale is still illegal, although if caught only for possession, they are likely to be dealt with in the same way as underage drinkers. Under 21s can take advantage of cannabis' medical benefits, as long as they have parental consent as a patient.

Washington state

The law: It is legal to possess up to one ounce of cannabis, but it remains an offence to possess larger amounts, or to grow it.

The reality: Over 21s can legally possess up to one ounce of cannabis, but unlike in Colorado it won't be possible to grow your own without a licence. Under 21s will face penalties if caught in possession of the drug, however it is likely to be a misdemeanour charge. And smokers are expected to puff in private; it's still illegal to spark up in public. This January retail stores will open and are expected to attract tourists.

Netherlands

The law: Cannabis is tolerated, though it is still illegal. Possession of small amounts has been decriminialised and the drug can be bought from licensed "coffee shops".

The reality: As the two million tourists who flock to Amsterdam each year for a smoke will tell you, cannabis is as good as legal in the Netherlands. You will need to be over 18 and required to show ID to buy it in one of the country's many coffee shops, and purchases should be limited to five grams a day. However, it is illegal to buy cannabis on the street. As for consumption, smoking cannabis is tolerated in most public places, as long as it's not near a school, or near children. Don't assume you can smoke it in a pub, however, and remember that the ban on smoking tobacco exists even for coffeeshops, so you either have to smoke your spliff pure, with a herbal mix, or make your way into a separate tobacco smoking room if you wish to get high on the premises.

Portugal

The law: All drugs, including cannabis, cocaine and heroin, have been decrimalised since 2001.

The reality: Although lots of countries in Europe have been experimenting with various degrees of decriminalisation, Portugal was the first country to go all the way. This does not mean drugs are legal, but personal use (under certain restrictions) will not lead to prosecution. There are no legal cannabis cafes in Portugal.

trust me

Some Daily Mail view. 

in the USA they believe in the medicinal benefits of cannabis, the fuck you think they decriminalized it in washington & a number of other states and now spain and other European countries also.

i think it's only a matter of time until they re-think the laws in uk, how can ketamine be a class c drug still :lmao:

The sooner they legalise it so we can grow it sell it and use it the better...the black market would be virtually eliminated crime rates would drop and people could earn extra money to spend which would mean more money going into the economy.

Every argument they have against it is bullshit, u can buy fags and liquor on every street corner in the country which are a lot worse for your health and they don't stop mac d's from serving obese people from buying 2 large big mac meals do they so they clearly don't give a fuck about our health...

We should all have the free will to do what the fuck we want it's my lungs at the end of the day what does it matter to them

• Upvote 4

Guest TRAGEDY

The sooner they legalise it so we can grow it sell it and use it the better...the black market would be virtually eliminated crime rates would drop and people could earn extra money to spend which would mean more money going into the economy.

Every argument they have against it is bullshit, u can buy fags and liquor on every street corner in the country which are a lot worse for your health and they don't stop mac d's from serving obese people from buying 2 large big mac meals do they so they clearly don't give a f*ck about our health...

We should all have the free will to do what the f*ck we want it's my lungs at the end of the day what does it matter to them

Canibus = mental health for some people
  • Downvote 1

Every argument they have against it is bullshit, u can buy fags and liquor on every street corner in the country which are a lot worse for your health and they don't stop mac d's from serving obese people from buying 2 large big mac meals do they so they clearly don't give a f*ck about our health...

We should all have the free will to do what the f*ck we want it's my lungs at the end of the day what does it matter to them

Canibus = mental health for some people

What about alcohol I'd bet my bottom dollar there's more alcoholics in this country than there is psychotic pot heads it's like people are saying too much of anything will fuck u up basically, I bet there's more alcohol related crimes than there is weed related as well...

lol never mind weed crimes, there is more alcohol related crimes than all the non-alcohol related ones added up.

• Upvote 4

Still cant believe something that grows naturally from a seed can be made illegal 

the benifits of marijuana use out weigh the negative easy 

/

tangie wax dabs >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> your life tbh

i hit my 1st dab at Cannabis cup few weeks back, took it easy doe, wernt tryin to go out like kurrupts brother 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Xz52XsAiKI