Buying your own property in London

Captain Planet

Nothing wrong with newbuilds in terms of quality and often people think because they go up quickly that they are cheap/poorly made.

My main problem with them is the land/space you get. The developers are squeezing as many properties as they can on to a parcel of land and obviously this affects the build (obvs not always the case).

But it is what it is. Ive bought a 1960s house and spent approx 20k and 1 year of my life working hard to get it how I want it and to increase its value. Some people aint got time/dont want to do all that so a newbuild is ideal.

Horse for courses basically

6 hours ago, yhfam said:

where are the hot spots to buy now?

list some places

i can tell u Edmonton is definatley one

To potentially live or rent?

Edmonton is a few years away from moving up.  Will only happened after the rich come to Tottenham.  Renting is higher in Enfield areas so try look there

6 hours ago, Greens said:

Tottenham 

Major redevelopments happening, hipsters are moving in too.

Probably missed the boat already, prices have gone up like mad.  I couldn't afford there with a decent budget.   Nike and Spurs money will make it a very attractive place to live in a few years imo

2 hours ago, Anderson said:

But it is what it is. Ive bought a 1960s house and spent approx 20k and 1 year of my life working hard to get it how I want it and to increase its value. Some people aint got time/dont want to do all that so a newbuild is ideal.

Yeah this is the one when buying old property 

My dad recently got into Property buying.  Got some old persons house that died in Edmonton,  We spent every day for 3 months  slowly doing it up and renewing everything and now renting it out to some professional couple.  Value of the house has increased quite a bit as well.   Not sure if he would ever have the time to do that again though, it was long.

Had one flat in North London (Bush hill park)  gone up nearly 50k in a few years.   Tried to get a flat recently in Shoreditch/Hoxton area (an area i want to live in ) even with a 300k+ budget, all i got was a boat ffs :lol: 

Seeing all your savings leave your bank account is stress though :rofl:

Edmonton is good if you wanna buy and rent it out same with enfield hertford road side, but still some way away from what is starting to happen in tottenham especially n15

guy i know just bought a flat in hackney for 750k

worst thing is is fam had a better flat in hackney 15 years ago but let it go for peanuts to move to a "nicer" area

:rofl:

Im sticking to renting for now, wait for this brexit shit

If you have no interest in staying in england till your old age then you can retire somewhere nice in your 40s/50s at worst if you buy right

34 minutes ago, LS said:

Yeah this is the one when buying old property 

My dad recently got into Property buying.  Got some old persons house that died in Edmonton,  We spent every day for 3 months  slowly doing it up and renewing everything and now renting it out to some professional couple.  Value of the house has increased quite a bit as well.   Not sure if he would ever have the time to do that again though, it was long.

Bruh, so long especially cos Im doing it mostly by myself. The amount of times Ive thrown strops and thought 'fuck it im just gonna sell it as it is'

What did your old man do? Full refurb? I pretty much had to take the whole house back to brickwork and start again. The fact Ive only spent 20k is a miracle.

House market in London is a mess. If you can get on it. odo so by all means, its a tidy investment but as far as raising a family & standard of living its long. When I choose to settle down, I am renting my place out and moving out of London. Kent or even as far as the Midlands.

LOL @ spending 750k to live in a flat, these times I am seeing gated detached  5 bedroom properties for 500k+.  

Each to their own but I don't see this market slowing down anytime soon.

46 minutes ago, Anderson said:

Bruh, so long especially cos Im doing it mostly by myself. The amount of times Ive thrown strops and thought 'fuck it im just gonna sell it as it is'

What did your old man do? Full refurb? I pretty much had to take the whole house back to brickwork and start again. The fact Ive only spent 20k is a miracle.

Will be worth it in the end though. 

Older house has so much more character to it. These new builds are proper boring, don't think I could ever feel at 'home' in one of them.

5 hours ago, LS said:

To potentially live or rent?

Edmonton is a few years away from moving up.  Will only happened after the rich come to Tottenham.  Renting is higher in Enfield areas so try look there

To buy to let

was told totty is already on the rise which is driving ppl out to move to surrounding areas like eddy

Can pick up a 1 bed in eddy now for under 200k 

5 hours ago, Afroman said:

House market in London is a mess. If you can get on it. odo so by all means, its a tidy investment but as far as raising a family & standard of living its long. When I choose to settle down, I am renting my place out and moving out of London. Kent or even as far as the Midlands.

LOL @ spending 750k to live in a flat, these times I am seeing gated detached  5 bedroom properties for 500k+.  

Each to their own but I don't see this market slowing down anytime soon.

generation rent 4tw

13 hours ago, Anderson said:

Nothing wrong with newbuilds in terms of quality and often people think because they go up quickly that they are cheap/poorly made.

My main problem with them is the land/space you get. The developers are squeezing as many properties as they can on to a parcel of land and obviously this affects the build (obvs not always the case).

big up bro,I'm the opposite lol thats why I've just bought new build, dont have the time nor patience to do what you've done so props for that.

Vertigo - keep that place in woolwich arsenal bro, prices there are ridiculous for such a shit area

Cosign what others have said about Tottenham.

That ship has kind of sailed in regards to jumping on. My brother in-law and his gf bought a house there last year for over 600k by St Ann's Road (it was fully refurbished with attic extension already). In contrast my parents sold our home near there for 89k in the mid 90s. I wish they held on to it because I would love to move back but buying a house here is out of my price range.

The changes going on in Tottenham are mad. Loads of young professionals and hipsters about now and new things are opening to cater for them. Styx bar (got Essex heads travelling to go here ffs), 5Miles, hipster coffee shops, art classes in pubs, circus classes, that new wall climbing facility, hipster eating spots and its also one of the highest concentrations for craft breweries in London. Add the new stadium to that with a capacity comparable to Wembly and it will also hold NFL games and concerts there will be loads to do in the area. It's a double edged sword though as the place is being carved up for the rich.

Fuck Labour for what they are doing to the place. They are effectively selling it off at the expensive of cashing in to serve the rich. The HDV (haringey development vehicle) is awful and will see loads of local social housing residents kicked out with barely any ways to get back in. Northumberland Park as it is will be wiped out and prepared for new blood. Doesn't help that they appointed Lendlease who don't have the best track record on deliverying the quota for social housing.

CSB Went on a bit of a rant there.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, revs said:

Cosign what others have said about Tottenham.

That ship has kind of sailed in regards to jumping on. My brother in-law and his gf bought a house there last year for over 600k by St Ann's Road (it was fully refurbished with attic extension already). In contrast my parents sold our home near there for 89k in the mid 90s. I wish they held on to it because I would love to move back but buying a house here is out of my price range.

The changes going on in Tottenham are mad. Loads of young professionals and hipsters about now and new things are opening to cater for them. Styx bar (got Essex heads travelling to go here ffs), 5Miles, hipster coffee shops, art classes in pubs, circus classes, that new wall climbing facility, hipster eating spots and its also one of the highest concentrations for craft breweries in London. Add the new stadium to that with a capacity comparable to Wembly and it will also hold NFL games and concerts there will be loads to do in the area. It's a double edged sword though as the place is being carved up for the rich.

Fuck Labour for what they are doing to the place. They are effectively selling it off at the expensive of cashing in to serve the rich. The HDV (haringey development vehicle) is awful and will see loads of local social housing residents kicked out with barely any ways to get back in. Northumberland Park as it is will be wiped out and prepared for new blood. Doesn't help that they appointed Lendlease who don't have the best track record on deliverying the quota for social housing.

CSB Went on a bit of a rant there.

Lendlease are pieces of shit. They stuffed over a lot of Southwark as well on their social housing promises. Took the council for utter mugs. 

The more ruthless people at Southwark jumped ship and joined Lendlease after setting up deals or bringing over info that would favor the company in that borough.

Good article from earlier this year on Vice, about what they did to the Heygate and surrounding area.

https://www.vice.com/en_uk/article/qkq4bx/every-flat-in-a-new-south-london-development-has-been-sold-to-foreign-investors

• Upvote 1

• 3 months later...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-42079174

Stamp duty will be abolished immediately for first-time buyers buying a home of up to £300,000, Chancellor Philip Hammond has said.
For properties costing up to £500,000, no stamp duty will be paid on the first £300,000.

Mr Hammond said this meant 95% of first-time buyers would see stamp duty cut, while 80% would pay none at all.
The change will apply in England and Northern Ireland, and in Wales up until the end of March, but not in Scotland.

The maximum saving, according to the Treasury, will be £5,000.

got excited for a minute