Criticism

Flojo

I'm currently working within a group (outside of work) which has really opened my eyes to how badly some people deal with any type of criticism.

We're a group of people who contribute in various ways towards achieving a common goal and as you would expect mistakes have been made by everyone at various points, which has led to some of the group making the suggestion that we put an evaluation process in place to enable us to improve.

It sounds simple enough and in my opinion should have been in place from the start (I was a late comer), the problem is that there are some people within the group holding senior positions that are so unreceptive to fair and measured criticism that I'm not sure if there's any other option than for the others including myself to leave.

Aside from finding it sad that they can't put their ego aside for something more important, I find it genuinely shocking that grown people ( 35-60 years of age ) have managed to get this far in life with this mentality.

My question is how well do you deal with criticism and what's your experience of working with people like this?

I'm very self critical anyways so chances are when I'm receiving negative criticism from others it's something I've already identified within myself.

If it's something new I will listen, evaluate and make the changes where I see fit.

Bottom line is people should always be willing to learn and develop. A lot of that will come from external criticism

Aside from finding it sad that they can't put their ego aside for something more important, I find it genuinely shocking that grown people ( 35-60 years of age ) have managed to get this far in life with this mentality

Bro, I'm disillusioned with the average adult I tend to meet in all honesty.

Either people are bitchy, bitter, sarcy, inconsiderate, unreliable, immature, jealous or all of the above.

Traits you assume people grow out of when they hit 21.

I've learnt not to expect more from an adult than I would a child.

Regarding criticism I remember Dacre from RWD Mag said to me on the phone "Can I give you some advice?"

I said "Of course"

Ended up giving me great input that made a big difference to what I was doing.

I do think it matters how the subject is approached though, some people have the subtlety of a charging rhino and that can get peoples back up.

• Upvote 2

C/s being self critical

A lot of people can't take criticsm at all, get defensive and try personally attack you in retaliation when you're just being constructive.

• Upvote 1

i think criticism hurts the most when u recognise in yourself what's being thrown at you. by the sounds of it tho, the guys u, (flojo), were dealing with, don't even seem to have the emotional maturity to reflect in that way, and seem more like the type to respond to any criticism, even if constructive, with blanket defensiveness

i agree with u toney about being disillusioned by the people dem we're surrounded by. i'm good at taking criticism in a professional environment and will do the required shit like nod at the right time, say the right buzzwords etc, altho working in a call centre last year on my gap year, (hated the place), this woman supervisor pulls me up on a wknd for pulling out my phone to tell my sister i couldnt talk, which she accepted she heard me say. i flip and start going off about how literally everyone has their phones out on weekday shifts when no1 rule is keep em away for data protection shit. she knew i was in the right but got my own team leader to warn me about speaking out of line or some shit...rather than accept that its unfair to have one rule for di office top dowgz n another for yung buckz, she tries to reassert authority by drawing for someone that has authority over me, who she has authority over

Aside from finding it sad that they can't put their ego aside for something more important, I find it genuinely shocking that grown people ( 35-60 years of age ) have managed to get this far in life with this mentality

Bro, I'm disillusioned with the average adult I tend to meet in all honesty.

Either people are bitchy, bitter, sarcy, inconsiderate, unreliable, immature, jealous or all of the above.

Traits you assume people grow out of when they hit 21.

I've learnt not to expect more from an adult than I would a child.

Regarding criticism I remember Dacre from RWD Mag said to me on the phone "Can I give you some advice?"

I said "Of course"

Ended up giving me great input that made a big difference to what I was doing.

I do think it matters how the subject is approached though, some people have the subtlety of a charging rhino and that can get peoples back up.

This is me right now, I genuinely cannot believe the way some people have responded to fair and reasoned opinions on what they could do better.

I've been self employed for a long time so I'm naturally very self critical, there isn't an opportunity for me to pass the buck to anyone so when shit hits the fan what I did tends to be the be all end all. I forgot how much I hated working in a group environment due to the number of people that need their ego stroking, certain situations dictate that there isn't time for that shit.

There's not much room for democracy in a hierarchy

This is what's become very clear, there are a number of valuable people that have already left the project because they felt that their views and concerns weren't being taken seriously. I knew this when I got on board but my thinking was that the way in which it happened would have maybe made people take stock and reflect a little, I was wrong in a massive way. It's sad to see opportunity after opportunity squandered through for the sake of inflated egos.

i take criticism badly even when i know theyre right

How do you find this impacts your performance as a sportsman?

My personally, i think it has a negative affect, ill start over thinking and trying to hard.

Its something u do have to accept though, from the coach, team mates, people who pay to watch. Like i said i hate it even though i know theyre usually right.

Guest Chelsea Jack

C/s being self critical

A lot of people can't take criticsm at all, get defensive and try personally attack you in retaliation when you're just being constructive.

the truth hurts more time