jehst

ag.

backpack uk production makes a mockery of road rap tbh

u still havent given any reasons u dislike the guy's raps

Not my cup of tea. 

boring rap

Rapped in that highly irritating 'non accent' all them 'uk hip hop' rappers used to rap in, proper cringe

Lol uk hip hop no such thing

And to think these guys were trying all this when grime was kicking Jesus do one

What you talking about, he raps in a British accent, you can easily tell he is British.

u still havent given any reasons u dislike the guy's raps

Not my cup of tea. 

boring rap

Rapped in that highly irritating 'non accent' all them 'uk hip hop' rappers used to rap in, proper cringe

Lol uk hip hop no such thing

And to think these guys were trying all this when grime was kicking Jesus do one

What you talking about, he raps in a British accent, you can easily tell he is British.

o ye?

Rap hasn't been street music for a long time, whether he had support in the 'streets' or not is irrelevant, the guy is a good rapper better than the majority of the rappers in the UK or anywhere.

The whole idea of UK rap being 'organic' is a silly one also, rappers of his ilk try to recreate the new york golden era sound because that was the greatest era of rap, rather that than the hundreds of rappers we have now who try to recreate the trap sound.

How organic can something be when you didn't create it, Grime is the only form of music that can be organic, and even that had huge influence from the states, because they created the genre.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Rap hasn't been street music for a long time, whether he had support in the 'streets' or not is irrelevant, the guy is a good rapper better than the majority of the rappers in the UK or anywhere.

The whole idea of UK rap being 'organic' is a silly one also, rappers of his ilk try to recreate the new york golden era sound because that was the greatest era of rap, rather that than the hundreds of rappers we have now who try to recreate the trap sound.

How organic can something be when you didn't create it, Grime is the only form of music that can be organic, and even that had huge influence from the states, because they created the genre.

so Chiraq for instance, the only regional scene in america producing a wealth of new localised rappers right now is not street music?  regardless, in 2001 when Jehst was popping, rap was most definitely still percieved as street music in the public eye

there was never a 'whole idea of uk rap being organic' from me that was my exact point.  when them guys were trying to 'recreate a golden era' that era and sound was as dead as disco mate.  plus trap didnt even exist then so i dont know why you're dropping that in there.  

nowadays Joey Badass and them can pop because we havent had that sound for 20 plus years.  we've been through the busta ryhmes, timbaland and neptunes mtv era, new york mixtape era, rise of the south, the rnbification of rap, the globalisation of 'trap' as a sound, the turn up era, the internet in general

back to my original point - i'm not saying "well grime was happening at that time so llow them guys" cos that would be like saying "i don't like apples BECAUSE i like oranges" when they're two completely different fruits

but i will say this - for the longest time this music we refer to as underground was all about being fresh and cutting edge and not just running old themes into the ground and that's where i dropped these guys out

if you wanna listen to some kid from sussex rap about how much weed he smokes, the sun moon and stars and how the world is a terrible place while picking up his student loan from UCL then cool but not for me, thanks

• Upvote 1