SQL, VBA

Captain Planet

SQL is for interacting with databases, inserting, retrieving, manipulating data. These have to be SQL databases of course, of which there are many kinds.

MS Excel and Access (which don't provide SQL databases) use VBA as a programming language to work with data in them.

VB = visual basic

VBA = visual basic for (Microsoft) applications, so its a more special-purpose version

VBA is mainly for making macros (your 'extension of excel formulae') but you'll learn VB basics in doing so which you can use to make more complex programs. Though, if you wanted to learn generally how to program most people wouldn't direct you to VB these days.

well yeah, if you go through "learning vba" tutorials and books they'll probably start you from the basics that are shared between variants anyway, after you've learnt the basics you should probably try to get some impression from your guy of what they'll actually be used for, because aimlessly learning a programming language without ideas of how you'd use it makes it harder

SQL-wise I can dig out some coursework I was asked to help with from someone's Databases unit at Greenwich Uni which will set a decent task for you to work on once you know the basics

PMd

I think it mentions using an Oracle SQL database, but I think SQLite is easiest to set up. Firefox has an extension which works as a decent frontend https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/sqlite-manager/
I imagine Visual Basic has an SQL interface but its probably not something you'd wanna start messing with straight away.
  • Upvote 3

Planet I swear you had a website before, if you still have the hosting package it probably has mysql on it with phpmyadmin.

You can create a database in there and mess around with it.

You work in property so the site your company has I'm guessing will have info about all the listings in a database, you can output that data on the website using php to interact with it.

Doesn't really make sense to run it through the web unless that's what you want out of it (to have results on a website). But if you do end up wanting that then yes PHP is a way to go, however if you have knowledge in VB then you can implement a solution with ASP.NET (which allows usage of VB code).

But if its for the purpose of an analyst's job I imagine you're not looking for a website solution. I imagine the SQL variant you'd be using would be Microsoft SQL Server, the different versions don't vary too much but if you want experience in that I think they do have a free download for it.

Planet I swear you had a website before, if you still have the hosting package it probably has mysql on it with phpmyadmin.

You work in property so the site your company has I'm guessing will have info about all the listings in a database, you can output that data on the website using php to interact with it.

Not used for these precise applications tbh

See rentonomy.com they use market data to release all sorts of cool blog posts about London, also created an algorithm to match people looking for properties to the actual properties, that's their business model to try take on conventional lettings agents.

SQL is for interacting with databases, inserting, retrieving, manipulating data. These have to be SQL databases of course, of which there are many kinds.

ur perfectly right, to under standard sql u need to understand those basics above 

this site helps with the coding side of things, 

http://www.w3schools.com/sql/default.asp?PHPSESSID=300ae3404d5fa2612f238abeebb8869c

and the system with used was called "oracle" 

Not used for these precise applications tbh

See rentonomy.com they use market data to release all sorts of cool blog posts about London, also created an algorithm to match people looking for properties to the actual properties, that's their business model to try take on conventional lettings agents.

fak, that's clever.