The paragraph thread

bad brains seminal band in the hardcore punk movement on the west coast during the eighties

if you look through history black peoples fingerprints are on most every genre even ones they (as in us today) would want nothing to do with it

#wedoesthis

dont wanna be all don crack

but basically all 'popular music' now is derived from black music init: edm, hip hop, rnb, and even country with the blues link

The Zong massacre was the killing of approximately 142 enslaved Africans by the crew of the slave ship Zong in the days following 29 November 1781.

The Zong was owned by a Liverpool slave-trading syndicate that had taken out insurance on the lives of the slaves as cargo.

When the ship ran low on potable water following navigational mistakes, the crew threw slaves overboard into the sea to drown, in order that the remainder could survive. The owners of the Zong made a claim to their insurers for the loss of the slaves.

When the insurers refused to pay, the resulting court cases held that in some circumstances the deliberate killing of slaves was legal, and that insurers could be required to pay for the slaves' deaths.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zong_massacre

This ain't a paragraph

Can we all start crying please

• Upvote 1

bad brains seminal band in the hardcore punk movement on the west coast during the eighties

if you look through history black peoples fingerprints are on most every genre even ones they (as in us today) would want nothing to do with it

#wedoesthis

dont wanna be all don crack

but basically all 'popular music' now is derived from black music init: edm, hip hop, rnb, and even country with the blues link

N all black music could be said to be derived from white music

Did u bras even have stringed instruments back on the mothership

In point of fact, coincidences themselves are usually just an artifact of perception. We humans tend to underestimate the probability of coinciding events, so our expectations are at odds with reality. And non-coincidental events do not grab our attention with anywhere near the same intensity, because coincidences are patterns, and the brain actually stimulates us for successfully detecting patterns... hence their inflated value. In short, patterns are habit-forming.

http://www.damninteresting.com/the-baader-meinhof-phenomenon/

• Upvote 1

Guest Chelsea Jack

Were affs banging guitars and other classical instruments etc before colonialism?

Im happy to be proven wrong, but i dont believe you did.

odml was wrong to claim everything and anything for black people

but so are you man for talking with authority about something you know nothing about

Various kinds of thumb pianos have existed in Africa for thousands of years. The tines were originally made of bamboo but over the years metal keys have been developed. The instrument is known by different names in different regions of Africa, including mbira, mbila, mbira huru, mbira njari, hurdy gurdy, mbira nyunga, marimba, karimba, kalimba, likembe, and okeme, as well as marímbula (also called kalimba) in the Caribbean Islands.

The Balafon (Balafong, Balaphone) is a kind of wooden xylophone or percussion idiophone which plays melodic tunes and usually has between 16 to 27 keys which has been played in the region since the 1300s and originated in Mali according to the Manding history narrated by the griots.

wait hold on you man are making it sound like the rest of the world were sitting around discussing the weather

I'm pretty sure there were man in South America banging a couple things together to have a skank in the rainforest and obviously the Spanish have had the most influence on Latin music.

also lets no pretend like classical and folk music hasnt had a lot of influence on genres like country, rock, pop and even hip hop

Asians been making music for centuries as well and you can't tell me they haven't influenced a lot of hip hop

all modern music has influences from all over the world it's stupid to claim anyone race/region started it.

wait hold on you man are making it sound like the rest of the world were sitting around discussing the weather

I'm pretty sure there were man in South America banging a couple things together to have a skank in the rainforest and obviously the Spanish have had the most influence on Latin music.

Lol

• Upvote 1

Guest Chelsea Jack

also lets no pretend like classical and folk music hasnt had a lot of influence on genres like country, rock, pop and even hip hop

Asians been making music for centuries as well and you can't tell me they haven't influenced a lot of hip hop

all modern music has influences from all over the world it's stupid to claim anyone race/region started it.

Good post

lol na no authority was spoken with i was jus askin

wheres the stringed instruments at was all i was sayin

jus googled ur marimbas and bafalons

in my head these would be filed under the 'stick' category as in im gona hit stuff with a stick

Marimba-Classroom-Nhimbe-for-Progress-Oc

107634w.jpg

never saw your earlier post about stringed instruments specifically

The earliest European reference to the kora in Western literature is in Travels in Interior Districts of Africa (1799) by theScottish explorer Mungo Park

kora2.jpg

keyword here being earlier and at the same time that being document by European explorers

judging but a few google searches past Africans weren't too big on these types of instruments but the above shows that they were capable of both creating and using them

if anything it shows that they maybe preferred a different type of music

more often used were drums, flutes, pianos

/

I'm gonna leave it here, I quite like this thread and would rather contribute to it positively

• Upvote 3