Al Pacino / Robert de Niro

Alejandro Sosa

Why can't they just leave it alone!That film had so many quo-tables and funny moments. I know money is what they see behind it but f*ck sake.Some of us want films we watched when we were younger to remain as they were and not destroyed remakes.Reminds me of the talk I had with my misses this afternoon about remakes, even Scarface was partly a remake, the original served as a building block for the version with Pacino.
Surely by that logic, a remake isn't that bad then?
In some circumstances they have been fine, but most nah.On another note "Animal Kingdom" really good, enjoyed it. The grandmother/mother was strange but Pope you knew he was trouble soon as he was introduced got to the point where I turned and said "This guy is f*ck*ng me off".

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
Hollywood is planning to produce a new version of Scarface, the classic gangster story brought to the big screen in different forms by Howard Hawks in 1932 and Brian De Palma in 1983.

The new version, which is being bankrolled by studio Universal, is being touted as neither a remake nor a sequel. Instead it will borrow the common elements of the earlier films, both of which centred on a violent outsider intent on pursuing his own twisted take on the American dream who infiltrates a criminal operation with ruthless determination and swiftly becomes its kingpin.

Paul Muni took the central role of Italian newcomer Antonio "Tony" Comonte in the 1932 Scarface, a tale of warring Chicago gangs which teamed Hawks with the legendary producer Howard Hughes. Al Pacino played Cuban drug baron Tony Montana in De Palma's remake, which was critically panned on release but has gone on to be one of the 1980s' most iconic films. Pacino's line "say hello to my little friend" is one of the most famous quotes in film history and is also the highest-selling mobile phone ringtone of all time. The storyline for the film, which also starred Michelle Pfeiffer and Mary Elizabeth Mastrontonio, was spawned by Cuban leader Fidel Castro's decision in 1980 to allow some 125,000 Cubans – many of them prisoners and people with mental health issues – to leave the nation in what was known as the Mariel boatlift.

Universal is currently pursuing writers for its new version, which is at an early stage of development and has the 1983 Scarface's Martin Bregman on board as producer.

• 2 weeks later...