Daniel Sturridge World Class?

Guest freestacks

41 members have voted

1. 1. Is daniel sturridge world class

• Yes
    • No

No

He's got the ability, it's for him prove he's amongst the best in Europe on the big stages over the next few years which I think he'll do.

Got an outside bet on him to win the Golden boot at 70/1, hopefully he grabs a brace early in the groups and I can look at cashing out.

70/1

Thats too low for someone who is going to be feeding on scraps

this is why I rate Welbeck, he did this at the Euros consistently

I think Sturridge is less of a percentages player, hope things go his way cause he's willing to try the outrageous

team should have been built around his strengths

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Scholes is saying England should copy Liverpool's style of play.

They cannot

The personnel is there but the coach isn't

Its long balls/crosses/set pieces strictly.

Can you imagine England playing like Liverpool and telling the likes of Italy,Uruguay lets have a shootout aka you have go then we have a go.

It will end in tears

there were signs in the Peru game of a more progressive style

the Baines - Welbeck movement

the 5 minutes at the start of the second half when Rooney went wide right and Lallana went central linkin play

the Sterling cameo

than again 2 passes and Peru were in behind

looking like set pieces will paper over the cracks and that Italy team looked susceptible to the high press similar to what England were doing for periods in the first half

there's hope, just that though hope, cause that defence and the protection infront of it is a joke, Italy will probs walk through it once they manoeuvre past the press

70/1

He got 1 goal in 4 games and posed ZERO threat the rest of the tourny, all his play was back against the goal.

I can't rate man cos he is given scraps, I rate man who thrives in those conditions eg: Milito/Paolo Rossi.

/

This thread is too early, give Sturridge another 2 seasons.

70/1

He got 1 goal in 4 games and posed ZERO threat the rest of the tourny, all his play was back against the goal.

I can't rate man cos he is given scraps, I rate man who thrives in those conditions eg: Milito/Paolo Rossi.

playing in a team that was poor on the ball and poor on the counter, dunno how you'd expect him to thrive he simply did all he could do and did it well

it's a bit disingenuous to quote his scoring statistics when England scored 5 goals during the Euros with 5 different scorers and 3 of those coming from set-pieces

it's not like they were creating chance after chance was it?

look at who he played with

unfit Rooney

Young

Carrol

playing in a team that looked best when bypassing the non-existent midfield he was important in retaining possession upfront when they did

I remember him being subbed against Italy instead of Rooney and that being the final nail in the coffin, the ball just kept going back to Italy at that point and they dominated proceedings

all in a rigid system based off of keeping it tight and nicking one from a corner/freekick

Welbeck had a good campaign in a shitty team under a shitty manager

players like him facilitate good football, fluid movement and definitely deserve more respect than they're given

• Upvote 6

If that's all he could do then it ain't enough at this level.

Remember the Rooney run against France Euro 2004 when he won the penalty?

The Owen run and goal against Argentina WC 98?

Both created out of nothing and both at the time younger than Welbeck was at the last Euro's.

As a forward you need to be able to make your own opportunities or make something happen.

All I saw Welbeck do that tourny was keep coming short for the ball, he offered no threat in behind.

This is a guy who supposedly has pace, regardless of what the manager is saying look to mix it up.

England should have took the more experienced Bobby Zamora which I was screaming at the time, he'd of been a better target.

Welbeck was substituted against Italy because even Roy Hodgson knew you might get a bit of magic from Rooney that you just won't get from Welbeck.

• Downvote 3