What's your salary?

kerser

I don't think you ever get paid less, say if you go from 31k to 35k, I think the 40% tax only applies to earnings over a certain threshold, but it wouldn't put you out of pocket you'd just pay higher tax on the money over the threshold.

Or something

Yeah, meant that the time and a half, then taxed 40% works out less than just a normal days rate.

You only get taxed 40% if:

INCOME - £10,000 = £32,000 or more. 

So basically you need to be earning 42k or more to pay 40%.

The £10,000 figure is the personal tax free allowance that most people have. It's what your tax code indicates. For instance, your tax code might say: "1000L"

This means you earn 10k before you start paying tax.

You only get taxed 40% if:

INCOME - £10,000 = £32,000 or more. 

So basically you need to be earning 42k or more to pay 40%.

The £10,000 figure is the personal tax free allowance that most people have. It's what your tax code indicates. For instance, your tax code might say: "1000L"

This means you earn 10k before you start paying tax.

Yeah that's right, I'm chatting shit then.

Expected a higher paycheck last month and presumed I'd been taxed more.

To make it more clear, if you earn £50k a year:

£10k untaxed

£10-32k at 20% = £4.4k in tax

£32-50 at 40% = £7.2k in tax

£50k - £11.6k in tax = you left with £38.4k left over

But you can imagine how earning £100k you're seeing a larger portion of your income going to taxes.

I don't really agree with the 50% (or even 45%) tax rate, but it came in just after the 2008 financial crisis (announced in the 2009 budget, into place in 2010) so you can see where the logic comes from.

I'd never vote Conservative though, there's nothing that they've done or said that's convinced me they know how to run a country well.

Long story short...The government are cunts, and those of u on benefits need to fix up.

Why am I waking up before dawn n freezing my ass off on road, while you rolling over thinking of England.

There is a silly expectation that someone with zero experience has the RIGHT to walk into a 30k+ job in the UK, no one wants to work for shit

• Upvote 2

£10k untaxed

But you can imagine how earning £100k you're seeing a larger portion of your income going to taxes.

If you're above 50k it would be more economic to become a contractor, either directly or through an umbrella company. It comes with extra administration bu tit's worth it. 

Gotta be lazy or stupid to pay 40% up to 100k

£10k untaxed

If you're above 50k it would be more economic to become a contractor, either directly or through an umbrella company. It comes with extra administration bu tit's worth it. 

I am employed as a contractor but I don't see how that would work for the majority of jobs?

£10k untaxed

I am employed as a contractor but I don't see how that would work for the majority of jobs?

It depends on the capability/willingness of a companies payroll/hr to accommodate it. It's common practice in a lot of companies.

Long story short...The government are cunts, and those of u on benefits need to fix up.

Why am I waking up before dawn n freezing my ass off on road, while you rolling over thinking of England.

There is a silly expectation that someone with zero experience has the RIGHT to walk into a 30k+ job in the UK, no one wants to work for sh*t

being on benefits is just another job the government pays you for

Dont wind me up mate...I was vex all day after reading them tax boundaries this morning :angry:

lol the question is then why are you trying to make an honest living when society pushes this hustler, selfish all for profit mentality?

when there are scroungers, bankers, corrupt politicians, bishops and dodgy dave from the market then why try and play fair?

How so?

Your working out, you make it seem like £10k gets ignored then they start counting. Anything you earn above £32k gets taxed at 40%, not above £42k.

10k is ignored you dumb f*ck, it's called a personal allowance. 

You start paying tax on anything you earn AFTER 10k. If your earnings after 10k are 31/2k ore more (41 or 42k in total), you pay 40%. If your earnings after 10k are between 10k (total = 20k) and 31/2k (total = 41/2k) then you pay 20%.