Denzel Washington Thread

Em Dott

"when" was a while ago though, Flight was decent but John Goodman >> Denzel

Morgan Freeman is similar, in that doesn't get amazing roles but you know you'll like his character.

Will Smith >> ___

Don Cheadle is good too but I think House Of Lies is bringing him down.

Samuel L Jackson's been rinsed. Terrence Howard's characters always seem to annoy me. I like Cuba Gooding but he's obviously not a better actor than any of the aforementioned, alas he is one of the few with an Oscar.

I think where Jamie Foxx shines is he's one of the few black actors who can really play different characters and not come off the same from film to film

I guess there's ones based on true stories/people like Ray and Last King of Scotland.

Though even some true ones like Hotel Rwanda and The Butler you get that same character lol.

The Soloist I think stands out for me (which was the main reason why I said that about Jamie Foxx).

• 4 weeks later...

saw Equalizer, thought the action was brilliant.

good unique weapon choices, character was very resourceful.

his main character trait outside of violence was cool.

film is essentially captain save-a-hoe the movie though, whole story about him trying to save a prostitute from prostitution.

and I found every scene too drawn out, like the film could have been half an hour less while still showing everything because all the scenes were dragged to extend running time. 

wasn't given enough info about the character, who he was, I'm just led to believe for no reason that he can find whatever enemy and win. 

the Russian main villain though, and his approach were serious. 

would say to watch, it's better than Safe House and 2 Guns

Denzel has been in consistantly shit films for about 10 years

He just churns out mindless action films year after year now

Flight, safe house, man on fire, out of time, unstoppable, the equaliser..

He is pretty much the face of Black Hollywood, but I've never been crazily impressed with his acting ability, despite peaks such as Training Day, John Q, etc

Kind of like Bradd Pitt - he always seems to play himself in movies

• Downvote 1

The issue is the roles that are written for them are the same.

When they're supporting characters (which black people and women often are) it is kinda understanding,

but Denzel is the main character in every film (at least in the last decade) and he's still the same guy, and a lot of the time the fact that he's black isn't important to the story and him playing that persona isn't either. I think he's just limited.

The issue is the roles that are written for them are the same.

Indeed

It's also due to the fact that the United states only has a 200 year history, so as a black man within this structure it's very difficult to find a role that won't be defined almost exclusively by your colour. Which in itself isn't necessarily a trope of Hollywood, but a reality of the lives of many 'african americans' 

Cipher / Dub, he doesn't have to take roles written for him, I'm sure there are roles offered that aren't.

In fact I'm sure the roles he takes aren't, and his limited acting is why they end up the same.

Take The Equalizer. It's based on a tv show I've never seen, but I'm sure the character didn't seem "Denzel" when not played by him, and casting him has turned the character into a typical Denzel.

• 1 month later...