Arsenal 2014/15 Thread

Seth Rollins

"I managed him. I tried him. I'm not interested in Paul Merson."

Arsene Wenger demonstrating how to ruin someone in three sentences.

ETHER

The reply...

Wenger also hinted he had found managing Merson to be an exasperating experience which ended when the player joined Middlesbrough in 1997.

But Merson, in an interview with the Daily Star, disputed Wenger's version of history.

He said: "I think it is childish he [Wenger] has had a dig at me. Not interested in Paul Merson? He was begging me to stay when he offered me a new contract [in 1997].

"I respect Arsene Wenger, he's a brilliant manager. When he first came here he was far ahead of his time. But times change. It's my job to give an honest opinion.

"I was at Arsenal 14 years and I say these things because I care - I'm not backing down."

Of his brief managerial career at Walsall, Merson conceded: "I wasn't a great manager. But I don't remember drawing a game after being 3-0 up - and I never had a team full of internationals."

Wenger doesn't have to explain himself tho, lol, he doesnt within the club so why outside?

Why would he answer to Merson?

Them journo's that know Arsene and do Arsenal knew Wenger was going to give them a better response to what do you make of Paul Merson's comments, than what do you make of the fans comments or even them simply asking what Merson was questioning...

Righly or wrongly, once you start using Merson, Jamie Redknapp, Jamie Carragher, Stewart Robson, Gary Neville, whoever... Wenger sees it as they are paid to keep talking, haven't managed yet or at top level, what they say means nothing to him, they might as well say my mate Dave in the pub thinks you need a strong, fast DM...

I just don’t like his I know best approach, because he’s been getting the same things wrong for a very long time. You can’t try and play that card when the last 8 years of your tenure have been disappointing. And the club backing him wholeheartedly is the reason he is able to continually mug us off without any repercussion.

• Upvote 1