REGGAE CLASSICS THREAD

NORA BATTY

Man like Garnett Silk. Gone too soon.

Tunes like these kept the spirit of reggae in the 90s, they'd bust and get a response from every section of society. 

^ This one got a big, big forward at World Clash 1994 in Sanctuary from what I remember.

Timestamped. 

The forward this got, along with a few other tunes like Kingly Character were ridiculous. In a dance where nuff man a pose off with gun and let off shots, these tunes were a necessary reminder of the power of goodness. Cleanheart business.

Just now, NORA BATTY said:

Yeah I had hundreds of cds 

All scratched by other people 

I used to spend hours sorting out my music ffs I had these tunes 

I'm trying to categorise here. I grew on these tunes but if you really get deep into reggae, it's easy to get lost. I've got so much shit from different eras.

Pro tip, check DC++ and Soulseek, they're still gems for hard to find bits and a lot of the shit is well organised into folders as standard.

• Like 1

England has produced some wicked vocalists, from Lovers Rock days until now.

Bitty >>>

She died at a young age, but made a big big mark with the tunes that she voiced.

R.I.P Deborahe Glasgow, such a talent.

Aswad -  NW10 massive just cool.

Maxi Priest>>

I've got some joints from Richie Davis also, think he used to sing on Unity:

First guy singing after the guy in the vest. I've got the tune he's voicing 'Flashbacks', wicked piece.

Gonna drop a few undercard classics, slept on artists and one hit wonders:

Mickey Simpson, was a singer out of the Jack Ruby (Sean Kingston's granddad I believe) and his Black Scorpio stable.

Dem man there built there careers off the road, literally. Roll up to a music yard with a piece of talent and a dream and hope to catch some studio time...

• Like 1

General TK!! Wicked tune, I remember this from my childhood.

Risto Benji was like a one off Bow Wow type of deejay. Had some joints still.

NITTY! Famously lost his life in gunplay between himself and Supercat outside Count Shelly's in Brooklyn.

"She got to be copacetic!!"

Proper rare Nitty Gritty set from Manchester.

@Realone2016 nice footage. I recall one of the deejays dropping a lyric about 'taking a lick', think it's from that Clapham session. Cokehead runnings..

The footage here is CRISS. 

Them times Birmingham carnivals looked sweet, boy. 

Family vibes

Spotted my cousin in this footage, bag of Leeds faces. Think this is Huddersfield carnival afterparty:

^ Huddersfield carni, notice nuff Indians and Pakistani kids brucking out in the street! The sense of community up North >>>>>

Love seeing the youts dem out, these are real moments of community spirit and cohesion.

The days when every ends in the UK with a Caribbean community had a carnival to boot.

Bristol:

Brum again