Pirate Radio Stations

Strutter_DJ

I can remember back in the day. pirate stations popping up everywhere

I'm from Birmingham and they used to run things, we had Silk City, generally a bassline house radio. everyone used to tune in on Friday/Saturday nights, sunday chill out after a club...

The radio was popping back then.

Is this now a thing of the past? if so, what do you think killed that scene?

Wish there was a need tbh,

locking on to a random dial >>>>>> checking out a scheduled show on net radio

not knowing any of the tracks being played >>>>>>

• Upvote 1

I could never get signal but Heat FM rips >>> ____

AxeFM wasn't really pirate but it was the first proper internet radio equivalent nah? Cold Blooded sets >>> ___. The hype of catching heads from the ends spitting over your beats >>> ____

Rinse the first time I got my tunes spun >>> ___. Then that one Roll Deep set when they spat over my beat >>> ____

Ahh, why don't I have recordings FFS

Nostalgia, nostalgia. Its never gonna come around again. I feel bad for the next generation. Youtube ain't got shit on live radio.

Pirate radio days 2001-2005 pirate radio and grime peak

Had de ja vu, rinse, heat, mystic and various others preset into my system used to flcik through the channels late at night like it was sky

• Upvote 1

back then:

De Ja Vu 92.3

Heat 96.6

Mystic 98.1

Hav it 99.1

Rinse 100.3

????? 101.7

Raw something? 90.6

Sweet 89.4

now:

SLR 97.7

Mystic 98.1

????? 92.2

Raw? 94.4

????? 90.8

I listen to pirates nearly every day. CD collections boring /predictable, even when i make a new CD only gets me hyped for like 2 weeks max

• Upvote 1

radio was sick but when you couldnt get a proper signal = pain

missing or forgetting a set = pain

swapping and copying tapes was the one

i was in year 7 with my walkman on the sly (these tiimes everyone had portable cd players/minidisc) reciting grime lyrics that only the olders knew about them times

listening to radio now is a myth

Kool FM during jungles peak :Y: >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Playing on pirate was a sick experience, looking back now some of the places ive played in.. :lmao: .

some of the equipment I had to work with....magic was done in some studios..for real..lol.

when you play a tune and the phone pops off ...the feeling.

Was known on my road for sitting with one leg out my window left hand on the arial right hand on the window frame to record crackle free tapes.

Sometimes I used to run to Freeze FM when they had big MCs on to bred as they came out.

I'll never forget the first time I heard bound 4 da reload was while mumsy was picking me up from school. She made me change the station before I caught the credits and had me looking for the tune for about 3 months. Pain. Accidentally locking into a sick DJ on an unknown station and hearing sick tunes>>><<<<<

Limping missions to radios with my boxes cutting into my hand and bashing in my leg. Trying to listen to the previous DJs set on the way to the station to ask about tunes I ain't got.

Drawing girls off the shoutout line and hoping they were buff.

• Upvote 2