Scotland Referendum

Hipster

If they split its basically everyone will lose money for the sakes of Scots having a bit more pride

It doesn't make sense that they're deciding on splitting before what actually happens after is decided, most importantly is what happens with the North Sea oil and the national debt.

its like a slave

they want their freedom

the slave master opens the door

they step foot outside

then they stop, realise they dont know what to do, where to go...

then they go back to slave master

scotland may have to be quiet and allow their country to maintain what they have

if they leave we should invade the next day

Need to firm up put crazy sanctions on them even things like scots wanting to use a toll to enter England charge them £89.99 entry every entry

F scotland anyway only reason they joint the union was because they went bankcrupt investing in the slave trade

Not too fussed. Angers me that they are allowed to vote on matters pertaining to English society, and that privelege (dependant on your disposition) isn't afforded in reverse. It would affect us financially, but nowhere near as much as it would them, they'd essentially be starting from scratch, the EU has already categorically stated that should they decide on independence they will have to leave the EU and re-apply. 

I could understand why the Scots would find voting YES attractive though.

They would be out of the EU, which means less immigrants ect. 

They have resources (oil) that could grow their economy & with them being a small nation of 5.2M long term they could become a wealthy nation. 

But then again there would be so much implications if they decided to go independent.  Short-term they would struggle immensely.

I could understand why the Scots would find voting YES attractive though.

They would be out of the EU, which means less immigrants ect. 

They have resources (oil) that could grow their economy & with them being a small nation of 5.2M long term they could become a wealthy nation. 

But then again there would be so much implications if they decided to go independent.  Short-term they would struggle immensely.

I was reading that the North Sea Oil reserves will be gone by about 2050 though.

Not too fussed. Angers me that they are allowed to vote on matters pertaining to English society, and that privelege (dependant on your disposition) isn't afforded in reverse.

You think English citizens should have a say in Scottish Independence?

Not by default no, but for the sake of consistency yes. You can't on the one hand align yourself and vote for change that in many quarters doesn't affect you but has a defining effect on the live of the average joe 400 miles away. And then decide that a decision to remove yourself, which will impact the economy of England just as will your own, is solely a Scottish decision to make.

Not too fussed. Angers me that they are allowed to vote on matters pertaining to English society, and that privelege (dependant on your disposition) isn't afforded in reverse.

You think English citizens should have a say in Scottish Independence?

Not by default no, but for the sake of consistency yes. You can't on the one hand align yourself and vote for change that in many quarters doesn't affect you but has a defining effect on the live of the average joe 400 miles away. And then decide that a decision to remove yourself, which will impact the economy of England just as will your own, is solely a Scottish decision to make.

How does a Scottish person voting on this referendum have the ability to effect the lives of the average joe 400 miles away more so than it will effect them self?

As far as I'm concerned Scottish people should be the only people determining their state of independence.

you dont think it will effect our lives if scotland gain independence?

Of course it will but more so than it will impact theirs? I don't see how that's possible.

The fact is both the pro and anti independence parties feel that they aren't adequately represented by the current political system and unlike the various regions throughout the UK that feel the same, they are actually a sovereign state with the ability to do something about it and go it alone.

The decision should be theirs and the notion that people in England ( especially those that live in the South ) feel hard done by because they aren't getting a say smacks of the deepest irony, the sense of privilege is incredible.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1