• C.Ronaldo
    • Drogba
    • Berbatov
    • Aguero
    • Van Persie
    • Y. Toure

This poll is closed to new votes

First of all the title of the thread is 'Best Premier League winning Talisman'

So we should be discussing the players and teams from that league and the impact they had domestically.

The quality of other leagues in comparison to the prem is irrelevant to this discussion and the only reason to bring it up would be a salty attempt at playing down the achievements of someone from the prem which again is irrelevant because this isn't a 'best talisman in Europe' thread.

Individually Henry by a country mileCantona(CR7 close second) collective wise

Now when Lahi said that I didn't get upset about it. Even though my personal choice was Cantonal I can understand the argument for each of those 3 players who would all find a place in my prem XI.

I just don't understand how an innocent comment like this...

the good old days of 90's football is dearly missed

...brought out these salty replies...

premier league was dead out in the 90's so i duno what u lot miss

bare nobodies

Cantona was the catalyst for Man Utd's period of domination and the standard of English football was poor in the 90's.

...and took the thread so far off course

But that's none of my...

• Upvote 1

First of all the title of the thread is 'Best Premier League winning Talisman'

So we should be discussing the players and teams from that league and the impact they had domestically.

The quality of other leagues in comparison to the prem is irrelevant to this discussion and the only reason to bring it up would be a salty attempt at playing down the achievements of someone from the prem which again is irrelevant because this isn't a 'best talisman in Europe' thread.

Individually Henry by a country mileCantona(CR7 close second) collective wise

Now when Lahi said that I didn't get upset about it. Even though my personal choice was Cantonal I can understand the argument for each of those 3 players who would all find a place in my prem XI.

I just don't understand how an innocent comment like this...

the good old days of 90's football is dearly missed

...brought out these salty replies...

bare nobodies

Cantona was the catalyst for Man Utd's period of domination and the standard of English football was poor in the 90's.

...and took the thread so far off course

But that's none of my...

for me my 90's comment wasn't just the about the prem back in the 90's, more talking about serie a and the champions league

but if your a chelsea/liverpool/arsenal fan I can see why you would be bitching

The fact that six pages in not one person who took offence has outright said why they disagree with that comment lets you know who's catching feelings.

You've asked why man are being 'salty' by questioning the quality of the Prem in the 90's and you've got reasoned replies but you GG man dem seem to be ducking a very simple question, do you think the Premiership was levelling with the other top European leagues throughout the 90's?

European ban adversely hampered English football.

1, No European football to offer foreign players, so the amount of high quality imports didn't take off until much later.

2, The exposure of the teams was lower so prospective signings didn't know what was on offer.

3, Money was obviously lower due to the lucrative Champions league format, (remember in the more sane days of the 90's a couple million was important money let alone 5/10/15. Wages paid abroad were higher till 2000+ 

4, Coaches weren't going up against different types of coaches on a regular basis thus development stagnated. (just watch United Vs Juventus Matches from the mid 90' up until 1999 to see how Fergie learnt over time to deal with European football. 

English teams were schooled on occasions but thats what happens when you have a generation of footballer who only plays domestically that is then pushed out on the European stage with no experience, add to that the foreigners rule and you have a serious problem to contend with. throughout the 90' United improved year on year as the manager, coaches and players learnt to deal with the different requirements. In 97 United beat one of the favourites (Porto) 4-0, had a great 3-2 win against Juve at home the these sporadic occurrences proved that on their day we could match anyone but often tactics let us down in the later stages.   

If Lee Sharpe had been playing football in European competition from the age of 18 like some players have been given the opportunity to do his career would've been very very different. Same with criminally underated players such as Collymore, Cole and Macmanaman we saw what the later two could do on that stage later on when given the opportunity and time to adjust.

• Upvote 2

:rofl:

All these posts and still no answer to the question from all the man that caught feelings, I rest my case.

Serie A in the 90's>>>>Prem in the 90's

Now explain to me why this is relevant in a 'Best Premier League winning Talisman' thread?

You can add definitely add La Liga and the Bundesliga to that and make a solid case for the French top division at least being on a par in my opinion.

it's relevant because you caught feelings when someone said the Premier League was poor in the 90's compared to the other top European leagues.

In a discussion talking about players that cross different eras the quality of the league at the time is an obvious thing to consider.

I didn't catch feelings because someone said the prem was poor compared to other leagues and I disagreed with the comment.

My issue with it is there was no need to bring it up.

I can understand comparing different eras of the prem which is why I said could understand the argument for the 3 players Lahi mentioned who all had a big impact on their teams achievements but the opening post asked this question:

"Which of these guys who fired their teams to the championship was the most important to the side(s) and why ?"

And I'm just saying what Juventus did in Serie A, what Madrid did in La Liga and what Del Piero and Weah did compared to what Sheringham and Cole did is irrelevant to the question being asked.

How can the quality of the league be irrelevant when trying to say which player was more important than the other? That's straight nonsense.

And you along with the usual suspects did catch feelings

bare nobodies

Yet you still didn't win one

K

how was the 90s dead ?

For a Liverpool fan.

Pool fans making threads about them vol. 172748484

Nobody mentioned Liverpool but Utd fans but we made the topic about ourselves? lol I don't understand what's bugging you man so much right now to the point you're so sensitive and talking nonsense.

I didn't catch feelings because someone said the prem was poor compared to other leagues and I disagreed with the comment.

My issue with it is there was no need to bring it up.

I can understand comparing different eras of the prem which is why I said could understand the argument for the 3 players Lahi mentioned who all had a big impact on their teams achievements but the opening post asked this question:

"Which of these guys who fired their teams to the championship was the most important to the side(s) and why ?"

And I'm just saying what Juventus did in Serie A, what Madrid did in La Liga and what Del Piero and Weah did compared to what Sheringham and Cole did is irrelevant to the question being asked.

When comparing the impact of players on their league across eras I'd say you have to consider how competitive the league was at the time and looking at how good other leagues were using European competition as a guide, is a good way of doing that.

The quality of the premier league wasn't as good in the 90's as it is now, the fact English clubs are now amongst the best performers in Europe makes that clear.

When Cantona was playing I loved the Prem but was he playing against the quality of opposition Henry was? I would say no because in the 90's the best ballers from around the world simply didn't come to England anywhere near as much they have in recent times. 

This idea that you look at performances in the PREMIER LEAGUE in isolation is ridiculous, there are factors beyond what happens on a saturday that impact on performance.

How can you compare Cantona to Henry in the PREMIER LEAGUE saying what they were doing in Europe at the time doesn't count?

Are you saying that Henry playing 3 times as many European games as Cantona did has no impact on how he performed on a saturday in the PREMIER LEAGUE?

Does a player walk out on a saturday saying that fatigue from wednesday night doesn't count now because I'm playing in the PREMIER LEAGUE?

The opening question of the topic can be answered on different levels, it sounds like you were happy to keep it basic.

If you wanna make things less basic it works both ways tho

If you're bringing up the extra amount of games and a fatigue that today's players have to deal with you can't leave out the advances in sports science and technology that help with those problems. A luxury that a player from the old era would have benefited from in today's game. Then there's the extra protection the refs give players cause there's red card offences today that would've barely got a yellow back then.