Roy Keane - "Heard Rio dropped a book...."

Admin.

Roy Keane has opened up about the infamous interview that ultimately cost him his Manchester United career.

The former Old Trafford captain was recorded criticising his team-mates after a 4-1 defeat by Middlesbrough in 2005.

But Keane, in his new autobiography the 'Second Half', insisted the storm was part of a calculated move against him by the club.

The ex-midfielder said: 'United were poor. The MUTV people go: "It’s your turn". I had to do it. I was disappointed with the players but it was MUTV, propaganda for the club. So I did the interview. "He was poor". "Poor defending". "He's got to do better than that".

'The idea that I was in the studio ranting and raving, no. It was quite calculated. The message was, we weren’t good enough and could do better. The next day I was told the interview was being pulled. They couldn’t believe what I had said. I didn’t think it was too bad. I thought everyone was overreacting.'

Alex Ferguson described what Keane had done on MUTV as a 'disgrace' and accused him of 'assuming managerial responsibilities'.

Keane was fined £5,000 and a decision was made that Keane must leave, with the Glazer family backing Ferguson’s judgement.

Keane states he believes someone at United leaked the video, while he also claims his team-mates had no issue with the comments.

The Irishman left United after 13 years in the aftermath of the row.

'I am pretty sure someone at United leaked it. I had insulted the team. I had been disloyal. They were building a picture. I was the loose cannon slagging everyone off,' Keane continued.

'I wasn’t worried about the dressing room. They knew my form. But all sorts of stuff was coming out, that I had talked about players wages for example.

'That was something I would never do. It was getting a bit silly so I got the players together in the dressing room and told them it was f****** nonsense.

'They were all going: "Yeah, Yeah". Not one of them had an issue. Not one.'

Roy Keane says he wouldn’t have made the same mistake as Rio Ferdinand by missing a drugs test.

Ferdinand was handed an eight-month ban and fined £50,000 for missing the routine test following a match in September 2003.

The former Manchester United captain passes the damning verdict in his autobiography The Second Half, which is released on Thursday.

In extracts released by the Daily Mirror: 'He (Rio) suffered for it and so did the team.

'If it had been me, and the doctor had said I had to do a drugs test, I'd have gone and done it. It wasn't something I'd have forgotten.

'It wouldn't have been like collecting a letter at the office, or remembering your boots.

'When a doctor says you've got to do a drugs test, it's not an everyday thing. But then, some people are genuinely forgetful.

'I don't think I was annoyed at the time, and I don't think the other players were either.

'But, ultimately, the team suffered. I didn't look at Rio and think that he'd been up to no good, or that there was a hidden reason for what had occurred.

'I think he genuinely forgot. We paid the price.

'He was a very good player and we missed him, especially in the second half of the season when the crunch games were coming up.'

Ferdinand lost an appeal against the ban and missed Euro 2004 for England as a result of his ban before making his return in a 2-1 victory for Manchester United against Liverpool at Old Trafford.

Ferdinand, currently playing for Harry Redknapp's QPR, has recently released his autobiography, #2sides, as the 35-year-old reaches the twilight of his career.

Nah Keane is going in.

Roy Keane has revealed that Sir Alex Ferguson wanted him to wear the No.7 shirt at Manchester Unitedand not David Beckham.

The iconic shirt became available at Old Trafford in 1997 when then club captain Eric Cantona left the Red Devils after announcing his retirement from football.

Beckham subsequently took over the shirt, but Keane says Sir Alex did not want the midfielder to have it.

"The captaincy is important, but squad numbers can have an importance. At United, '7' was the iconic number," he wrote in his new autobiography, The Second Half.

"When Eric Cantona left there was a debate about who was going to be the next captain. I was quite relaxed about it.

"But there was his number, too - '7'. Bryan Robson had had it before Cantona and, of course, it went back to Georgie Best.

"The manager pulled me into his office and said that he wanted me to wear the '7'. I said, 'No, I'm not that bothered.' And he said, 'I know Becks will f****** want it and I don't want him to have it.'

"I'd had '16' since I'd signed for the club. I was comfortable with '16'. I think it might have kept me on my toes, being outside the '1' to '11'. I didn't think that I was a number '7'.

"I said, 'Give it to Becks.' Becks got it, and it suited him - and Cantona. Ronaldo had it after Becks."

Roy Keane has revealed that Sir Alex Ferguson wanted him to wear the No.7 shirt at Manchester Unitedand not David Beckham.

The iconic shirt became available at Old Trafford in 1997 when then club captain Eric Cantona left the Red Devils after announcing his retirement from football.

Beckham subsequently took over the shirt, but Keane says Sir Alex did not want the midfielder to have it.

"The captaincy is important, but squad numbers can have an importance. At United, '7' was the iconic number," he wrote in his new autobiography, The Second Half.

"When Eric Cantona left there was a debate about who was going to be the next captain. I was quite relaxed about it.

"But there was his number, too - '7'. Bryan Robson had had it before Cantona and, of course, it went back to Georgie Best.

"The manager pulled me into his office and said that he wanted me to wear the '7'. I said, 'No, I'm not that bothered.' And he said, 'I know Becks will f****** want it and I don't want him to have it.'

"I'd had '16' since I'd signed for the club. I was comfortable with '16'. I think it might have kept me on my toes, being outside the '1' to '11'. I didn't think that I was a number '7'.

"I said, 'Give it to Becks.' Becks got it, and it suited him - and Cantona. Ronaldo had it after Becks."

yeah that books a cop

Whens it out?