Teenager passes away after falling into a canal

Heero Yuy

MEN
Shaquille-Daniel.jpg
Shaquille Daniel, 17, died after falling into a canal

Hundreds of people have paid tribute to a 17-year-old boy who died after falling into a canal.

Police are investigating the death of Shaquille Daniel, who was pulled out of the Huddersfield Narrow Canal, near Tesco in Stalybridge town centre, just after 3pm on Saturday.

Officers and paramedics tried to resuscitate him and he was taken to Tameside General Hospital , where doctors treated him overnight but he died on Sunday morning.

Detectives are now looking into the circumstances that led to the teenager being in the water and are treating his death as ‘unexplained’, the Manchester Evening News reports .

They have appealed to anyone who saw Shaquille earlier in the afternoon to come forward. He was wearing a dark grey gilet with a blue hood, dark grey hooded top, burgundy polo shirt, grey jogging bottoms and black trainers.

Friends of Shaquille have paid tribute to him on a specially dedicated Facebook page. They also plan to release lanterns in memory of Shaquille at 7pm on Tuesday at the spot where he was last seen.

The page - R.I.P shaq Never Forgotten - had more than 200 members this morning and read: “This page is to remember the poor soul who died for no reason, he was a mate and called Shaq.”

MENShaquille-Daniel.jpg
Hundreds of people have joined a Facebook page set up in Shaquille's memory

One friend Tristan Halligan wrote on the site: “Cant believe your gone, used to go school together for 2 years, got the bus most days, you always had my back, proper good mate, gunna miss you mate, rip.”

Another Brad Earley said: “R.I.P Shaq you were a truly safe lad everyone’s gutted you’ve gone not a bad word to be said about you! Taken too soon mate...”

Reece Sweeney posted an image of Shaquille - known to friends as Shaq - and posted: “Rip m8 u will be missed rip big man.”

Hundreds more paid tribute to Shaquille on Twitter.

Detective Chief Inspector John Mazzolai said: “From talking to witnesses, we have had a sighting of the boy outside Coral bookmakers on Grosvenor Street at 2.50pm. At 3.10pm, he was seen in the canal.

“I would like to speak to anyone who thinks they may recognise the description of the boy and believes they saw him between these two times to contact us.

“It is important we establish what has happened and how he ended up in the canal.

“It is too early to say whether he has got in himself or someone else has been responsible.

One of my worst fears is falling into a canal, feel for his family. 17 is a heartbreaking age to go out, just about to begin adulthood.

R.I.P

• Upvote 1

Me and my boy ended up in a canal after a crazy night out a fair few years ago after jumping a taxi, looking back it could of been so much worse especially the levels of lean that were going down. Least it was funny at the time.

>>>>>>> Uni days reckless drinking

Uni days reckless drinking >>>>>>>>>>

>>>>>>> Uni days reckless drinking

Uni days reckless drinking >>>>>>>>>>

Trust me

The way my boys were climbing up the scaffolding to reach the top of some unfinished student flat just to do a few snapchats and intas was crazy.

Looking back it was funny but it could have been so much worse especially after the levels of alcohol we all had. 

/

Hate seeing young people go

R.I.P

Fuck knows

They are only 4 feet deep

the locks are like 20 ft (which we fell in  :ph34r: )

swear canals arent deep?

when i was younger i went boat club in islington and we used to jump in the canal, fuck knows the amount of toxic material my body absorbed.

/

rip the young lad

I used to hear stories of people getting thrown off a bridge into a canal in Islington

Used to take place a lot in gang fights

swear canals arent deep?

when i was younger i went boat club in islington and we used to jump in the canal, f*ck knows the amount of toxic material my body absorbed.

/

rip the young lad

I used to hear stories of people getting thrown off a bridge into a canal in Islington

lol do u mean packington?

swear canals arent deep?

when i was younger i went boat club in islington and we used to jump in the canal, f*ck knows the amount of toxic material my body absorbed.

/

rip the young lad

Yeah 100%

White guys fighting over a bridge and throwing each other off it

yh but what if you're pissed/unconscious?

/

swear canals arent deep?

/

rip the young lad

Yeah 100%

:lol: knew it

they really loved that bridge.

swear canals arent deep?

/

rip the young lad

Yeah 100%

lol i grew up in packington estate.

One of my friends got his ear chopped in half on that bridge.

Funny, i went back few days ago for the first time in years, it was gone they tore it down and put these apartments, was upsetting felt like my childhood vanished.

swear canals arent deep?

/

rip the young lad

Yeah 100%

lol i grew up in packington estate.

One of my friends got his ear chopped in half on that bridge.

Funny, i went back few days ago for the first time in years, it was gone they tore it down and put these apartments, was upsetting felt like my childhood vanished.

pmsl