Do i Look like a Baller? Ps N Dat

User

'Fake' Chelsea footballer jailed for posing as Gael Kakuta

_78452392_abalimba_kakuta.jpg
Medi Abalimba (left) pretended to be the France youth international Gael Kakuta (right)

A failed footballer who posed as a Chelsea star to live a Premier League lifestyle has been jailed.

Manchester Crown Court heard Medi Abalimba went on a £20,000 shopping spree at Selfridges, stayed at top hotels and even hired a helicopter.

The player, who joined Derby County in 2009 for more than £1m but whose career failed to progress, masqueraded as France youth international Gael Kakuta.

Medi Abalimba, 25, admitted multiple frauds and was sentenced to four years.

Abalimba, of Burton Street, London, phoned venues claiming to be the agent of Chelsea winger Gael Kakuta before turning up posing as the player.

The court was told he would ring a venue advising of the imminent arrival of an elite sport star, requesting discretion and paying for goods with stolen credit card details.

Abalimba obtained the details by photographing American Express cards he found in lockers he broke into using a master key at a gym in Camden, north London.

In June 2014, he visited a Manchester nightclub and ordered £2,600 worth of champagne while claiming he left his wallet in a limousine.

Football skills

He pre-paid more than £2,000 using stolen credit card details telling staff he would return next day, which he did, ordering more champagne and leaving in a chauffeur-driven Bentley GT.

In July, he ordered more than £20,000 worth of clothes in Selfridges in the Trafford Centre, even displaying his football skills while shopping - but store detectives were suspicious.

His crime spree saw him stay at expensive hotels, dine at fine restaurants and, on one occasion, he even took four women from Manchester to London in a helicopter.

Greater Manchester Police tracked him down to an £800-a-night rented mansion in Berkshire.

Sgt Adam Cronshaw of GMP, said Abalimba was "charming and charismatic" and could call on his previous football experience and "some resemblance to the real Gael Kakuta to deceive his victims".

He added: "Abalimba told us that many of his victims treated him so differently because they thought he was a celebrity footballer."

'Difficulties snowballed'

The player had stints with Derby, Oldham Athletic, Southend United, Fulham and Crystal Palace and, as a youngster, had trials with Manchester City, Manchester United and Liverpool.

He admitted 12 offences of fraud and dishonesty, in London, West Yorkshire, Manchester and Derby and asked for 19 offences to be considered.

Speaking in mitigation, his barrister Vic Wozny said Abalimba had had a "rough upbringing" and that he "ran with the wrong crowd" after coming to London at the age of five.

He said his footballing success had come with a lot of "hangers on", who Abalimba would spend his wages on.

When Abalimba "started to slide and money dried up, my client could not accept that he did not continue to lead the high life", he said.

"The offences started to happen. Thereafter my client's difficulties snowballed."

Gael Kakuta, 23, joined Spanish team Rayo Vallecano on loan for the 2014-15 season.

• Upvote 9

Took the chopper ride to manny :lol:

In all cases the businesses have lost the money as the credit card companies have charged the costs back to them.

In June 2014, Abalimba visited a nightclub in Manchester and throughout the course of the evening he ordered champagne worth £2,600.

At the end of the night, he claimed he had left his wallet in a limousine and told staff that he had his credit card details on his mobile phone. The payment, which was made using compromised credit card details, was authorised and Abalimba then pre-paid more than £2,000, telling staff he would return the following day, which he duly did, again quaffing champagne with friends before leaving in a chauffeur-driven Bentley GT.

It was not until several weeks later that the fraud was discovered by the true card holder.

In early July 2014, Abalimba visited Selfridges in the Trafford Centre, Manchester. He chose more than £20,000 worth of clothing - even practising his football skills inside while browsing - but could not pay with his credit card due to it being deliberately damaged.

He later telephoned the store and made a payment over the phone, again using compromised credit card details. Just as a chauffeur was sent to collect the goods, a store detective became suspicious and withheld the items.

He even maintained the pretence in order to woo women. While in West Yorkshire he befriended a woman and convinced her he was Gael Kakuta, stating that he didn't want to use his credit cards as he wasn't supposed to be in the UK and his agent wouldn't be happy. Promising to pay her back he used her credit cards to rack up a £4,633 bill at a spa and also used her card to hire a Range Rover at a cost of £2,397. 

On another occasion he took four girls from Manchester on an £1,100 helicopter tour over London before having them stay with him at an £800 a night rented mansion in Berkshire, which he claimed was his home.

Greater Manchester Police tracked him down to the mansion and with the help of Thames Valley Police, he was arrested.

He was transported to Manchester and admitted all the offences on interview, telling officers he regularly broke into lockers at a sports club in Camden and, using master keys, stole and used his phone to photograph members' credit card details. 

He was subsequently interviewed by detectives from Derbyshire, West Yorkshire, Scotland and London. In London he ran up huge bills during hotel stays, including: £7,000 at the Corinthia hotel; £3,000 at Mandarin, £2,000 at Millennium Hotel and £1,400 at Bulgari Hotel.

He also enjoyed drinks at several nightclubs and restaurants including the Gilgamesh, where he ran up a bill of £8,000 for 20 of his friends.

In Manchester he deceived hotels including the Park Inn, Worsley Marriott and the Great John St Hotel. He also attempted to book £4,206 worth of rooms at The Midland but was thwarted by extra security checks by staff there.

The value of the frauds that Abalimba was charged with amount to approximately £53,000. A further 19 similar offences, to the value of a further £88,000, were also taken into consideration. He was also wanted for failing to appear at Islesworth Crown Court in June 2014, for attempting to fraudulently obtain a £9,000 Rolex watch from a jeweller, taking the total value of the frauds committed to £163,000. 

With no assets or cash to his name there is no opportunity for financial compensation to be paid to any of his victims. 

guy was brazen :lol:

One of my cousin's knows this don

He's got 4 years of good memory's of this F ting

/

:rofl: at him being 25

My sister knows his mum

His parents went round to her house and was boasting about the cars he bought them and paid their rent/council tax etc etc.

My Sister must of rang me when they were there and asked if I knew him and I told her all know he was released from Liverpool

She said nah he plays in Premier League and is a millionaire(women believe anything) so I told her google was her friend.

What a shame for the Congolese community 

• Upvote 3

what a f*cking scumbag

4 years and out in 2

pathetic sentence

I wonder if your opinion on this would differ had it been an Asian posing as a cricket player, or an Arab as the son of a sheikh. Granted he indulged in a brief stint of splendour under a false identity, but the only victims in this are establishments who I'm sure won't crumble under the weight of being defrauded a few thousand. 

Didn't you once claim to have "closed surgery" and decided your responsibility as a "medical practitioner" came second to your need to wank yourself into obilivion over the fappening. Scumbag.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1