Band Aid single

Heero Yuy

Most these charities don't give all proceeds to the organisation in question. They're kept for themselves.

Do you know this for sure? 

Any evidence to support your claims?

I am personally quite hesitant to give money to a charity especially as I dont know where the money is going 

• Upvote 1

Most these charities don't give all proceeds to the organisation in question. They're kept for themselves.

I am personally quite hesitant to give money to a charity especially as I dont know where the money is going 

swear its usually on the terms and conditions 

was reading the small print on one advertising board on the tube and it clearly stated 10%, not sure if its the same for all charities

even the ads o ntv it clearly says at the bottom '£0.90 of the 1.50 will go to comic relief' or something like that. should be 90-95%

Can you raise money without using money to raise awareness? A certain amount has to go towards keeping the charity itself alive to help more people in future. 

even the ads o ntv it clearly says at the bottom '£0.90 of the 1.50 will go to comic relief' or something like that. should be 90-95%

Can you raise money without using money to raise awareness? A certain amount has to go towards keeping the charity itself alive to help more people in future. 

As a charity they are not allowed to make profit right?

• Upvote 1

A simple google search was not able to give me a breakdown of where all the money goes, they should be more transparent (no lens)

Non-Profit organisation is the same as a For-Profit organisation with two major exceptions:

1. It is not allowed to distribute profits to anyone, no matter how much money it makes. That means no dividends for shareholders.
  2. There are no shareholders. Nobody owns the company. It has trustees, who run the company - but they cannot sell their "trusteeship" to anyone else.

What does this mean? Essentially - 100% of the money which a Non-Profit makes is re-invested in the company. 

A Charity is a Non-Profit Organisation with much stricter rules about what it is and isn't allowed to do:

1. A charity (except in special circumstances) cannot pay a salary to its trustees. Typically these people are volunteers.
  2. A charity must disclose all of its financials publicly, in great detail, and be audited by several government bodies.
  3. A charity may only do things which have charitable purpose for public benefit, and nothing else.
  4. A charity receives large amounts of tax-relief from the government for conforming to these rules.

What does this mean? Charities exist solely to benefit others. They operate on a shoe-string budget and generally spend 90% of their time trying to raise funds through donations in order to keep doing what they do.

Again, these rules vary a huge amount from country to country, and this is only a basic overview.

Google the ALS as an example.

http://www.alsa.org/about-us/financial-information.html

I get overheads etc, but come on man...

Google the ALS as an example.

http://www.alsa.org/about-us/financial-information.html

I get overheads etc, but come on man...

21% on operating costs (fundraising + admin) and the rest actually going towards the cause doesn't seem that bad

though I guess you could argue about the education part being fundraising

The people on the street who harass you for money get paid something like £10 an hr

Yes but the problem with them is they are not actually hired by the charity. The charity pays an agency to get people on the street

Ive been told that the charities pay something extortionate like £40ph to the agencies to get the street walkers to do the work.

Dont agree at all