Woman opens cuddling shop

Guest eights

Samantha Hess offers safe hugging services to her clients to suit their comfort levels, and sometimes just sits and reads with them

KPTV Cuddle-Up-To-Me.jpg
Cuddle: Woman open professional cuddling shop offering timed sessions

We've all been there - you're feeling lonely, in need of human contact, and really just need a cuddle but there is no one around.

Well one woman has come up with a novel way of filling that gap in our lives.

Samantha Hess has opened up a business that offers professional cuddling services - yes, you can pay for a hug.

The cuddling sessions are customised to a client's comfort level, and can include hair-stroking or hand-holding in one of four themed rooms.

The shop in Portland, Oregon is called Cuddle Up To Me and for $60 (£40) customers can get an hour's worth of spooning.

KPTV Samantha-Hess.jpg
Have a Hug: Demand is high with Samantha Hess receiving thousands of emails in a week

“This business has taken off. I've gotten as many as 10,000 emails in a week,” Ms Hess - who started 'professional cuddling' in 2013 - told Fox 12.

She added: “I was at a place where I thought paying someone to hug me and not have ulterior motives sounded like a great idea. I decided why can't this be a thing that we can easily and safely reach for?”

Before the shop was opened, Ms Hess would meet her clients at locations of their choosing, but now her business offers four themed rooms which are fitted with cameras for safety.

The sessions can be customised depending on people's comfort levels, and do not even have to include any touching. Some involve simply sitting and reading.

KPTV Cuddle-Up-To-Me.jpg
Shop Front: Cuddle Up To Me in Portland has four themed rooms

The demand for the service has been so great, that Ms Hess has since hired three women who are undergoing training to learn the art of platonic touching.

She realises there are some skeptics and it took a while to find a landlord who trusted her business model, but she said there is nothing scandalous about it.

“People always think that there's upgrades or, you know, additional services that we provide, and that's not true,” said Hess, describing her business as "family" and not "adult" oriented.

Pretty straight forward tbh

Its not a must. You can live and be happy with out it

Lol that wasn't straight forward

You can live without legs and be happy with it, it doesn't make legs a myth.

pmsl horrible comparison

Havent really thought this through but find it weird how people top themselves due to lack of affection.

pmsl horrible comparison

Havent really thought this through but find it weird how people top themselves due to lack of affection.

Well it not just lack of affection, I've never heard of that, it's loneliness.

Not having anyone to talk to, share anything with, not feeling loved, not feeling you can rely on someone etc etc

pmsl horrible comparison

Not having anyone to talk to, share anything with, not feeling loved, not feeling you can rely on someone etc etc

true been very cynical about human emotion since my neighbour topped herself for some reason

Duno what goes through peoples heads. But i guess this weird cuddling group will prevent a few suicides im all for it

pmsl horrible comparison

Duno what goes through peoples heads. 

I read a book once with a very good analysis of suicide 

We're told to think of a weighing scale.

Imagine on one side there is

'Pain'

And on the other side 'Ability to cope with pain'

28us406.jpg

When the pain outweighs the ability to cope with pain, you get things like mental breakdowns, self-harm & suicides

Everybody has different ability to cope with pain (that can include support networks, not just emotional resilience)

Just as everyone has different ability to perform varying physical feats

• Upvote 2

pmsl horrible comparison

'Pain'

28us406.jpg

When the pain outweighs the ability to cope with pain, you get things like mental breakdowns, self-harm & suicides

Everybody has different ability to cope with pain (that can include support networks, not just emotional resilience)

yeah this is how i see it

Wudu and salat always helps when im feeling down or a call on viber to mumzie

Support networks arent what they are cracked up to be. Cant be expecting someone to be at ur beck and call especially with people outside the family imo

pmsl horrible comparison

'Pain'

28us406.jpg

yeah this is how i see it

Wudu and salat always helps when im feeling down or a call on viber to mumzie

Support networks arent what they are cracked up to be. Cant be expecting someone to be at ur beck and call especially with people outside the family imo

They don't necessarily need to wait on you and and foot, sometimes it just takes people to be around...if the problem for a specific person is loneliness I suspect support networks would help a great deal, especially as sometimes all it takes is to see that someone ELSE is ok, and that someone else can go on living after a breakup, or family split or something else..

But yeah, it's good that Salat helps settle your mind, some people don't have that equivalent though, it's just about trying to help find that balance for people

• Upvote 1