WE HAVE A BREACH... I REPEAT

underwriter

Blasting LeBron James for grabbing the Duchess is completely absurd

The NBA superstar committed the cardinal sin of grabbing hold of a member of the Royal Family - but blasting him for it is absurd.

NBA superstar LeBron James is having a busy week. First he gets splashed all over the media for wearing an "I can't breathe" t-shirt in solidarity with a protest at police brutality, and now he is under fire for grabbing hold of HRH the Duchess of Cambridge.

The Duchess - AKA the artist formerly known as Kate Middleton - is currently on a sort of "working" holiday in the States with the Duke - AKA the rapidly-receding bloke formerly known as Prince William, and the pair happened to meet basketball's biggest star on Tuesday.

After a brief chat, they posed for a picture - and that's when LeBron committed a major breach of royal protocol by - my goodness! - putting his arm around Kate while the photographers snapped away.

Touching a member of the immediate Royal Family is a serious breach of protocol, and poor old LeBron has come under fire for snuggling up to the pregnant princess.

But, as Kelly Dwyer of Yahoo!'s Ball Don't Lie blog explains, having a go at LeBron is absolutely barmy....

- - -

As part of a holiday and also in support of the NBA Cares initiative, Prince William and Kate Middleton took in a Brooklyn Nets-Cleveland Cavaliers contest on Tuesday night, sitting alongside unofficial NBA ambassador Dikembe Mutombo. The royals sat courtside as the Cavaliers broke a tie game in the third quarter and ran away with a lopsided 110-81 score.

Following the contest,  LeBron James was kind enough to pose for a photo opportunity with Prince William and Kate, but he appeared to break a protocol that even the most ardent stateside royal admirers might still be unaware of.

That’s right, shock and horror! LeBron James put his arm around Kate Middleton!

James was handing the couple Cavaliers jerseys in the hours between the least-loved NBA trip out there – a back-to-back scheduling that results in a late night trip through customs to Toronto.

A photo op with the royal couple is clearly worth his time, though, with the Cavaliers supplying a “Cambridge” jersey for the former Miss Middleton and a “Prince George” jersey for the couple’s young son. 

Still, in royal culture, acting normally in a chummy photo setup is a no-no, but the Duchess of Cambridge hardly appeared to be set off.

According to The Telegraph, there is precedent for this sort of transgression:

The breach of protocol echoed the time when Michelle Obama caused a stir by putting her arm around the Queen in 2009.

The royals are on their first official trip to the US since 2011.

What is the protocol and why does it exist? Here's the BBC explaining things after President Obama was also criticized for a perceived faux pas while meeting the Queen in 2011. 

When meeting a royal, there are rules about who can speak first, where to look, what to call them, how you should stand and when you should sit. It is a mysterious business to the uninitiated.

But it stems from a time when monarchs were accorded an almost divine status and had to be treated accordingly.

"From medieval times, monarchs were divinely appointed to rule by God, so they were kind of seen as gods, so they demanded to be treated as gods," says Dr Kate Williams, a historian at London's Royal Holloway university. "They are treated as people set apart from the rest of us, so primarily what it is creating is distance and grandeur."

Oh, bloody hell.

I’m a tea-sipping Anglophile who is literally currently wearing a shirt with the Royal Air Force roundel plastered on it. Last month I corrected my daughter when she told me she was playing “My Country Tis of Thee” on her violin, pointing out that the true name of the song is “God Save the Queen.”

If anyone should know what to do in a photo op with the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, it’s this bloke.

I still had no idea, until reminded, that this sort of thing was verboten.

This isn’t to say that the protocol should be abolished, far from it, nor should we down the visiting couple for not acting as the Romans (or, in this case, the northern Ohioans) do. Anyone criticizing LeBron James for not knowing what to do in this instance, however, is daft.

Kate, as is her custom, handled things properly. In reaction, we should all do the same.

duke-duchess-cambridge-attend-cleveland-

I'd do the same, if I got told to remove my arm I will kick up fuss about them not being better than me etc

No you wouldn't, you would give some awkward looking smile then apologise with a distinct look of embarrassment on your face

You would then proceed to sit there with your shoulders down with a defeated expression wishing the seconds quickly pass so that you can rush home and drown in your sorrows

Lets be real now........ye? 

• Downvote 3

I'd do the same, if I got told to remove my arm I will kick up fuss about them not being better than me etc

No you wouldn't, you would give some awkward looking smile then apologise with a distinct look of embarrassment on your face

You would then proceed to sit there with your shoulders down with a defeated expression wishing the seconds quickly pass so that you can rush home and drown in your sorrows

Lets be real now........ye? 

:/

Hmmm.....

I can confirm I will give an awkward look, followed by a "What do you mean remove my arm, what stupidness are you telling me to do?!"

I will then rant about we are all equal, take the picture or I'm done.

That is being real, please don't confuse what your actions will be with anyone else's.

D'ICKHEAD

• Upvote 2

i would actually love to say that if i was in that situation. they cant fling guys in prison for speaking aloud.

i find it funny how they were all probably in the room, saw it happen with lebron and got shook coz hes 6;5++ black guy with dumb money... so they bit their lip then complained to the papers when they all got back to london lmfao