Question Time - BBC1 10.35pm - Russell Brand vs Nigel Farage

james00

I don't know where you are going. You said Immigration is to blame for waiting times to see a GP I told you no it isn't missed appointments is a huge factor in the change in the way patients are seen. I even broke down to you the cost why it does not make financial sense to have general appointments coming in and clogging up the visits. 

Missed appointments may sound ridiculous to you ? I just told you how much that shit cost. Its not money you can get its money gone

If I was to roll into my GP Surgery at 9:00 in the morning I know chances are I will not be seen. When I am ill I go the GP surgery at 8:20 it opens at 8:30 I cue early because I know Ill will be one of the first for the emergency appointments and I would be seen before 9:45.

I am pretty sure you are confusing GP surgeries with A&E waiting times  I just want to clarify that because what you are saying does not even make sense to me.  

I don't know where you are going. You said Immigration is to blame for waiting times to see a GP I told you no it isn't missed appointments is a huge factor in the change in the way patients are seen. I even broke down to you the cost why it does not make financial sense to have general appointments coming in and clogging up the visits. 

Missed appointments may sound ridiculous to you ? I just told you how much that sh*t cost. Its not money you can get its money gone

GP waiting times seemed to have increased at the same time as immigration has boomed uncontrolled. Is that purely coincidence? And is it only in the past decade that suddenly more people have decided not to attend their appointments... Has there been an increase in people not attending and if so does that increase coincide with them having to wait longer now.

Home Office researchers have assessed for the first time the ground-level impact of immigration on British communities by conducting a survey of local authorities and service providers.
They found that immigrants were likely to lead to longer waiting times at GP surgeries, be involved in anti-social behaviour and create pest control issues because of overcrowding.

the only booming population we should be worried about is the over 65

• Upvote 6

Missed appointments may sound ridiculous to you ? I just told you how much that sh*t cost. Its not money you can get its money gone

GP waiting times seemed to have increased at the same time as immigration has boomed uncontrolled. Is that purely coincidence? And is it only in the past decade that suddenly more people have decided not to attend their appointments... Has there been an increase in people not attending and if so does that increase coincide with them having to wait longer now.

Home Office researchers have assessed for the first time the ground-level impact of immigration on British communities by conducting a survey of local authorities and service providers.
They found that immigrants were likely to lead to longer waiting times at GP surgeries, be involved in anti-social behaviour and create pest control issues because of overcrowding.

Following yesterday’s Prime Minister’s Questions, David Cameron has been referred to the chief of the UK Statistics Authority, Sir Andrew Dilnot CBE, for his use of figures on the number of General Practitioners in England. 

Shadow Health Secretary Andy Burnham has written to Dilnot to ask him to investigate the Prime Minister’s and Health Secretary’s repeated claims that the number has risen since the General Election, despite the most recent official NHS data showing fewer GPs than in Labour’s last year in office.

The claims come just months after a Government report on GP recruitment admitted “there is a GP workforce crisis” and the official GP Patient Survey shows that one in four patients now wait a week or more to see or speak to a GP.

David Cameron has already come under fire for his misuse of health statistics at Prime Minister’s Questions on NHS spending and A&E waiting times.

GP NUMBERS

I have become increasingly concerned about what I believe to be an inaccurate use of statistics on GP numbers. Specifically statements have been made by the Prime Minister and the Secretary of State for Health that have the effect of implying that there are 1,000 more GPs in England since the General Election.

There have been a number of examples of these statements, including at Prime Minister’s Questions both yesterday and in July.
• “There are 1,000 more GPs today than there were when I became Prime Minister. “
David Cameron, Prime Minister’s Questions, 9 July 2014[1]

• “We have 1,000 more GPs than we had when his [Labour MP Jamie Reed] party was in power.”
Jeremy Hunt, Health Questions, 15 July 2014[2]

• “There are 1,000 more GPs than when I became Prime Minister”
David Cameron, Good Morning Britain, 30 September 2014[3]

• “There are 1,000 more GPs across the country than there were in 2010”
David Cameron, Prime Minister’s Questions, 5 November 2014[4]

The official source of GP numbers is the annual National Health Service General and Personal Medical Services workforce census, published by the Health and Social Care Information Centre, which shows the number of general practitioners working in the NHS in England as at 30 September each year.

The last available figure from when the previous Government was in power is therefore September 2009, while the current figure is from September 2013. The number of full-time equivalent GPs in September 2009 and September 2013 are shown in the table below. You will note that there were 36 fewer GPs on a full-time equivalent measure in September 2013 compared to September 2009 and 356 fewer on a headcount measure. 

Headcount
FTE
Sept 2009 Sept 2013 Change Sept 2009 Sept 2013 Change
GPs 35,917 35,561 -356 32,111 32,075 -36
Source: Health and Social Care Information Centre, General and Personal Medical Services, England - 2003-2013, As at 30 September

I have two specific concerns about the Prime Minister’s use of statistics in this case:
• First, that the Prime Minister is including trainees in the figure for the number of GPs, even though when reporting the number of GPs the Health and Social Care Information Centre excludes registrars: “Various types of medical practitioners work in General Practice. The term ‘practitioner’ in this bulletin is defined as all general medical practitioners excluding Registrars…” (Health and Social Care Information Centre, ‘General and Personal Medical Services: England 2003-13’)
• Second, that the Prime Minister is using data from September 2010, which was not the number of GPs when he “became Prime Minister” or when Labour “was in power”. In particular, we know that there was an exodus of GPs in September 2010, at a time of deep discontent and poor morale over the new Government’s proposed health re-organisation. 
In light of these concerns, I would be grateful if you could advise on the accuracy of recent statements made by the Prime Minister and the Health Secretary.
I look forward to hearing from you.

Yours sincerely

Andy Burnham

People believe what they want. 

is the population even increasing at a higher rate? up until like 70's here whites were popping out a ton of babies per family, how many brothers and sisters does ur mum and dad have gambino? and ur gran and grandad? Bet its like 4-7 siblings each.

Now days whites have fewer babies and immigration has increased a bit, but i really doubt the average increase in population has grown that much year on year.

It's increasing at a higher rate at a speed the country cannot cope with, not due to the birth rate but due to people flocking here from other countries Time_Bomb. And yea, my elders come from big families, a lot bigger than my generation. Dad has 5 Brothers and 5 Sisters, would of had another 2 but died at Birth.

Just to point out again Somalian. The number of GP's working at my local surgery increased so I doubt the issue was down to lack of funding from the Conservatives.

It's increasing at a higher rate at a speed the country cannot cope with, not due to the birth rate but due to people flocking here from other countries 

proof from reputable sources?

Hmmm there's been more people come here in the past 10 years than the previous 40........ I dunno what kinda reputable sources you want. It's common knowledge that Immigation had increased massively, and as Time_Bomb pointed out, smaller native families these days. Sure a study a while back said1 in 4 children here are now born to immigrants.

You'll have to explain what's "racist" with wanting controlled immigration.

I did say IMO about the waiting times, and I do think it's an opinion that holds more weight than someone telling me the British suddenly all decided at the same time to stop attending their appointments.

I'm not explaining what racist means lad we're far too old for that

What im saying is your opinion is based on bias alone

You've made no attempt to find out the actual reason for longer waiting times at your gp because the conclusion you've already come to fits a narrative you're comfortable with

• Upvote 2

Gambino so if you had a child and you fall out of the catchment area for a good school

Would you do all in your power to get that child in that school by using a family members address, appeal the decision etc? Or would you take your losses and blame your child not getting into the school on immigration?

I do not believe what you said about you local Clinic who really keeps up with how many GP's are on call in the clinic but does not know how to play the system to be seen as a priority ?

• Upvote 1