Marcus Rashford

Mame Biram Diouf

Van Gaal is already seeing similarities between United’s 18-year-old sensation and several youngsters who developed into superstars under his guidance at Ajax, Barcelona and Bayern Munich.

“I can imagine a lot – you want to hear? I don’t think so!” joked Van Gaal when asked by the BBC if he could recall any youngsters making such an explosive impact as Rashford.

“But Kluivert makes the winning goal in the Super Cup in Netherlands. Xavi made a fantastic goal, it was Barcelona against I think Valladolid. And then also a fantastic debut was Muller, and he scores a lot of goals as you know in Bayern Munich, and he was playing in the second team.”

Van Gaal says he has no hesitation in leaning on the younger members of his squad, despite taking on one of the favourites for the Premier League title, and was not taken back by how well Rashford in particular slotted into the team.

“No, I’m not surprised,” he explained. “That’s why we have a small selection, so we can give young players a chance.

“If you have a wide selection you cannot give these youngsters a chance. I have done that in all my clubs and you can see that. In my experience, the youngsters are always playing the first match very good, the second match is different. But Marcus also did the second match so he’s a special talent I think.”

• Upvote 1

Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger was also impressed by Rashford's performance.

"The player who was surprising for me talent-wise was Rashford because of the timing of his movement and his intelligence," he said.

"His movement in the box was great and he could be a very positive surprise for Manchester United on what I've seen today."

Everything Wally isn't basically

From elsewher

Almost direct from a very senior first-teamer last night:

"...he said he'd told Rashford to "ignore Van Gaal, he'll just try and get in your head and brainwash you, just go out there and enjoy it." (He knew the previous night he would be starting.) It seems lots of the players now are ignoring van Gaal as they know he's a lame duck, plus they think he's a bit of a d*ck....he described Giggs as being "as close to Fergie as you're going to get" and claimed he is liked by the players, and that his speeches get everyone motivated."

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...