Meanwhile... In Nigeria Over 2000 Innocent People are Slaughtered by Boko Haram

Mame Biram Diouf

Boko Haram, extremists opposed to western-style education and secular governance in Nigeria, carried out a multi-day attack in the northeast of Nigeria, focusing on the town of Baga. According to Musa Alhaji Bukar, a senior government official who spoke to the BBC, Baga, which once had a population of about 10,000 people, is now "virtually non-existent." 

The multi-day rampage focused on Baga and the surrounding towns and villages. The militants razed an estimated 16 towns around Baga, according to the BBC. 

“These towns are just gone, burned down,” Borno State Senator Ahmed Zanna told NBC News. “The whole area is covered in bodies.”

The rampage has led to the deaths of an estimated 2,000 Nigerian civilians along with sending approximately 10,000 people fleeing for their lives into neighboring Chad, according to the Associated Press.

Boko Haram's rampage throughout the region is a direct blow to the prestige of the Nigerian military.

Baga, which Nigerian troops abandoned on Jan. 4 after a day of fighting, was set to host the Multi-National Jount Task Force (MNJTF), a coalition of troops from Nigeria, Chad, and Niger with the express purpose of defeating the Boko Haram insurgency.

At the time of the attack, only Nigerian troops were present. 

Boko Haram's assault in Baga has been comprised of two phases, according to Time. The offensive began on Jan. 3 in a push against the MNJTF base and lasted until Jan. 4. This assault was followed up by an assault on Baga itself and the surrounding towns from Jan. 6 until today.

Barbaric behaviour

no one cares about 2000 africans, a dozen white people got shot in france we're busy organising 'je suis charlie' campaigns and rallys

As if you've been following what happens in Nigeria. I've tried posting about it on here before, especially after I was out there, and got no responses

Slash obviously French people are gonna care about stuff that happens in France more than Nigeria

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 6

no one cares about 2000 africans, a dozen white people got shot in france we're busy organising 'je suis charlie' campaigns and rallys

As if you've been following what happens in Nigeria. I've tried posting about it on here before, especially after I was out there, and got no responses

Slash obviously French people are gonna care about stuff that happens in France more than Nigeria

Actually, i have an acquaintance (i wont call him a friend), who is one of most prominent african analysts in the uk right now, you can see him on the news on a weekly basis, he covers nigeria a lot and is out there a lot, and as hes one of about fifty people i follow on twitter im well aware of the current events in nigeria and the rest of africa. Im not french or from france so i dont care more.

I wonder how other African nations are reporting this incident or are they reporting it at all

You cant be jealous that Europe unites together, do you want them to hate each other?

Maybe other continents could learn a thing or 2 looking how we can unite against scum

I wonder how other African nations are reporting this incident or are they reporting it at all

You cant be jealous that Europe unites together, do you want them to hate each other?

Maybe other continents could learn a thing or 2 looking how we can unite against scum

i can speak for the algerian news, and say tbh they dont report much at all, they'll touch briefly on international things then a lot of current affairs in algeria, like 5 minutes on the algerian foreign ministers meeting the venezualan foreign minister, its pretty poor but algerian tv in general is pretty poor, not worth watching unless football is on

its a cold reality, I don't think its just a problem with just the media, its a problem with society

we can try say its probably because of the geographical distance but if it was 2000 white people in South Africa, or 2000 people in Israel - the response would be huge in comparison

its a cold reality, I don't think its just a problem with just the media, its a problem with society

we can try say its probably because of the geographical distance but if it was 2000 white people in South Africa, or 2000 people in Israel - the response would be huge in comparison

It's because it's not news mate

Africans massacre each other all the time. It doesn't happen often that terrorists run into an office in Paris

• Downvote 1

its interesting how you labelled one group 'terrorists' and the other 'africans'

despite Boko Haram being labelled a terrorist organization by the west

There's nothing interesting about it at all. You're jus trying to catch me in my words to make me look like a "white guy"
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

It is interesting though, I'm not trying to catch you out and shame you. I'm sure its similar to how it would run through other minds, I assumed you were phrasing it in an intended manner to explain the mental reasoning as to why the media coverage is the way it is.

But would you be able to rephrase it in a way that you wouldn't be able to be caught in your words, how would you?

It is interesting though, I'm not trying to catch you out and shame you. I'm sure its similar to how it would run through other minds, I assumed you were phrasing it in an intended manner to explain the mental reasoning as to why the media coverage is the way it is.

But would you be able to rephrase it in a way that you wouldn't be able to be caught in your words, how would you?

That is what I was doing, your response made me think you didn't get that

Why is the media coverage like this? You know why, same reason that when 75 people are killed in a suicide attack in Baghdad or some Pakistani border town it doesn't make the news - it's no longer an event. You can't print the same story every day. this also isn't a white people don't care v black people do thing. I was in Nigeria and posted on here about how the girls that had been kidnapped by Boko Haram has been forced to become suicide bombers and another time about how they had kidnapped girls from another village and it got almost no response..nobody cared, even among the "Africans" on vip2.

Of course I could phrase it differently. I have a fairly solid understanding of the political situation in Nigeria, especially re: Boko haram, or al-Shabbab / al Qaida in Kenya

• Downvote 2