Jonny Evans

Mame Biram Diouf

tumblr_nibxg5pge01td4ofto3_400.gif

:rofl:  :rofl:

/

I have been one of his biggest defenders over the last 4/5 years but I have had enough now

This was his season to step up but everytime he is one on one with an attacker it feels like a mistake waiting to happen

He is 27 and should be entering his peak now, think its time to move him on and upgrade him

I have almost 0 trust in him now, really expected him to become our leading CB with a new signing and thought he would thrive being a ball playing CB but I think this summer is time for him to go Everton or Southampton, a team with less pressure and more defensive protection and organisation

Thoughts?

The only one of the 3 we know can do a job over a sustained period of time with a serious partner is Evans.

Jones and Smalling may have potential but tbh will they ever stay fit long enough to even get close to realising it?

Out of interest how much do people think the 3 would go for?

For the sake of argument, he hasn't had the fortune of a regular partner since then, he hasn't been able to sustain a good level of fitness either,

Add that to 3 different managers, (4 if you count Giggs' time) with different approaches different expectations and different instructions......

Is it surprising he hasn't played on.

One of the issues is the regular injuries. Not talking about player A gets tackled and sprains ankle, I'm on about muscle strains tears etc, that have given problems for years now.

Do we just buy injury prone players or is it something else going on?

What was Luke Shaw's injury record like prior to this season? What were Jones and Smalling like before they arrived?

Sign a serious centre back, a leader a talker an organiser etc. get someone in who can play RB regularly, sort Shaw out and Evans is the best choice for that new CB.

Smalling and Jones have been about 3 seasons and the excitement level has never exceeded what it was when they signed.

People said they'd be the future when Vidic and that otger one left. then reality bit and People said they could be useful in a O'shea and Brown way. Wes Brown was excellent in a Champions league final and got man of the match in a semi final against Barca......

I don't see either of these 2 doing that, yes age is on their side for now, but if a judgement of Moyes "not being about this life" could be made pretty early then 3 years is a decent amount if time to judge "the future of United at Centre back"

Fitness and injuries doesnt explain why almost every match Evans makes a major mistake that results in a clear cut opportunity for the opps

He has just been fortunate its De Gea behind him to bail him out and not some average prem keeper

He seems to have 0 presence, he struggles against strikers with flair, pace, strength and movement

I just cant see a way back from him after this

The ability is there I believe as I have been a big fan since he broke though but I feel he lacks the mentality to be the leading CB for us 

The problem with the 3 mentioned is that none of them get reassurance or confidence from each other,

It isn't coincidence that Evans' good form came win he was partnered with Vidic and Ferdinand. He needs to be led. When led he's good enough, he can't be the leader or senior defender, not yet if ever.

And the problem with that problem is we can't carry 3 injury prone CBs who are all not ready to be a starting, commanding and consistent cb for us

Evans being older and always playing in position just hasn't made the step up, how much more time can we give him, there's no shame in him becoming a star player for a top ten team like Everton, Tottenham or Southampton even moving to Italy

However I'd rather Jones or Smalling be given the chance to stay and them extra two /three years they have over Evans

Only thing Evans excels over them at is passing

Smalling for me is the best natural defender

Jones has a mixture of both but hasn't shown his potential at either yet

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Mitten:

"Such status, though, is unlikely to save Jonny Evans, who has been told he can leave United. It's a shame that a United-supporting youth team graduate, who is closing in on 200 first team appearances by the age of 27 has to leave, but that's the manager's decision and many fans will agree with it."