Gerrard or Essien in that 2005 Chelsea Midfield Trio With Lampard and Makelele ?

Mame Biram Diouf

Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho says failing to sign Liverpool's Steven Gerrard remains one of his greatest transfer disappointments.

Mourinho was close to signing the midfielder in his first spell as Chelsea manager in 2005 before Gerrard chose to stay at Anfield.

"We did everything to try [to sign him] and it was almost there," said Mourinho.

"I was dreaming of Claude Makelele, Gerrard and Frank Lampard in midfield."

Mourinho added: "We were playing in a proper triangle without a number 10 and playing Maka in front of the defenders. Me,

Mr Abramovich and [former Chelsea chief executive] Peter Kenyon at that time, we dreamed of that.

"His people were open to him joining a top side like Chelsea. But to me personally he never said he would come. Never.

Answering this a neutral football fan I would have chosen Essien. I do not think Gerrard would've had the tactical discipline to do the Essien box to box role and help out Makelele as much as helping out Lampard. I think he would've suffered watching Lampard score all the goals and take all the shine and would've got more exposed being just a cog in the machine rather than being the machine which he was at Liverpool, especially as his best form came with two dms behind him as the most advanced of the 3 I think Chelsea got lucky with this one tbh.

Thoughts?

/

Such a beast

One my biggest transfer let downs ever, he would have been PERFECT for us back in 2005

That Lyon midfield wern't ordinary 

But Benitez reckons he knows what the Anfield skipper must do to elevate himself alongside the very best.

"Sometimes when you see Steven Gerrard, he's a very, very good player," he said.

"But we need to work with him on tactical things. We just need to talk with him about the things we need to change. If we find ways of doing that, then we will have perhaps one of the best players in the world. His potential is really enormous."

especially as his best form came with two dms behind him as the most advanced of the 3 I think Chelsea got lucky with this one tbh.

that's a great point

we had Mata afterwards and watching Lampard toil playing deeper was depressing - look at him now at City being utilised in his best position

dunno what Mourinho had in mind, but looking at how he's been able to get a decent return out of Fabregas in a new position, he might have had something special up his sleave