Martin Odegaard

Mame Biram Diouf

football-martin-odegaard-real-madrid_325

Odegaard visited many of the top clubs in Europe over the past few months before deciding upon Madrid and signing a six-year deal with Los Blancos.

"My reason is that this move gives me the best possibility to develop as a player and it offers me the best conditions in my personal life," he said.

"My aim is to become the best player possible. I saw Real as the best option and the club welcomed me in the best possible way. I felt right at home."

Odegaard will have a familiar face with him in the Spanish capital as his father, Hans Erik Odegaard, will be working with Real Madrid’s youth teams.

The attacking midfielder is expected to play most of his games for the club’s second team to start with, but will train with the star-studded first team.

"I don't feel the pressure but it's different to play for Real Madrid than for Stromsgodset," he said. "I will try and enjoy this dream as much as possible. The past year has been incredible, it has all happened much quicker than I expected. This year hasn't started bad either."

Real Madrid’s institutional director Emilio Butragueno labelled Odegaard an ‘extraordinary talent’ and told him: “We are honoured to have you here. We will do everything for you to be happy at Madrid so you are able to develop your talent here. We have no doubt you will be successful at Real."

It's dissapointing when you see young players make the move to Real/Chelsea, hopefully he doesnt waste his potential and end up playing in Serie A in 5 years for Inter Milan

80k a week and gave his dad a job?

Lol at going any other root. He could easily go a dead club and flop/get injured, now he can start high and he will be able to pick and choose should it not work out at real without having to compromise on wages because he gonna make his p early.

Nobody said it's easy to turn down Real Madrid

But imo choosing real Madrids academy is different to choosing real Madrid first team as a 21/22 year old whose further along with his development

I'd say ironically you have a better chance going to a club with a more reputable academy like Ajax, Barcelona, bayern and moving to real for a large fee once you are a star at another team

Who was the last player to go through Reals youth system and end up in the first team? (without leaving in between)

With the whole "it's easy for you to say" route of convo, I don't understand, the discussion is only happening because he did choose Real over ever other top club in Europe as it's football some will agree and some won't, if we couldn't question people's decisions in football this room would be redundant

I agree with him too, i'm just saying nobody in the kids position would've turned it down.

It would've taken a maturer mind and parents not obsessed with money, to make best decision.

I know what you are saying

But anyone could also say 

''Who turns down the chance to work with Iniesta, Xavi, Messi, Neymar with some of the best youth coaches in the world with a track record of consistently developing world class or top level midfielders'

''Who turns down the chance to work with Pep at Bayern and playing alongside Ribery, Robben, Lahm and co''

They are all equally balanced statements and I dont think on paper (without taking into account logic, history and player development record) one choice stands far above the other two to warrant one being considered impossible to turn down

• Upvote 1

Martin Odegaard Reveals Why He Joined Real Madrid

5,634 Shares

6 hours ago

Champions League winners Real Madrid announced yesterday that they had completed the £2.3million signing of Norwegian wonderkid Martin Odegaard from Stromsgodset, and according to reports, the 16-year-old will earn a staggering £40,000 per-week. Oh, he can also double that with bonuses. £80,000 for a 16-year-old… Where did I go wrong?

Odegaard had been linked with nearly every top club in Europe, including Manchester United, Liverpool, Bayern Munich, Barcelona and Paris St Germain. However, he decided on a move to Spain with Real Madrid. But why? Money? No.

Infact, it was Zinedine Zidane.

The 16-year-old confirmed on Thursday during his press conference that the prospect of working with the Real Madrid legend turned his head away from the Premier League and other big European clubs.

Zidane showed Odegaard around Real Madrid’s training ground when the youngster visited Spain at the beginning of the year and speaking during his press conference, he said:

“It’s a big advantage for me that Real Madrid have a B team playing in a very competitive league and are managed by someone who was one of the best players in the world. Madrid had the best conditions for me to develop and my aim now is to become the best player I can.”

Martin Odegaard will start his career in Spain with Real Madrid B, but director Emilio Butragueno admits he could make his debut for the first team this season.