Benedict Cumberbatch 'Coloured' slur scandal

Badman

Benedict Cumberbatch has apologised after referring to black actors as “coloured” during an interview on US television, saying he is “devastated” to have caused offence.

The Sherlock actor said he was “an idiot” after he used the phrase during a debate, ironically about the diversity problems that black British actors face in the UK compared to the US, which he argued has been more open to casting them.

Talking on the Tavis Smiley show on PBS, Cumberbatch said: “I think as far as coloured actors go, it gets really different in the UK, and a lot of my friends have had more opportunities here [in America] than in the UK, and that’s something that needs to change.”

Reaction was mixed after the actor – who has been nominated for an Oscar for his role in The Imitation Game – used the outdated term, with many praising the sentiment of his argument but lamenting his poor choice of words.

A spokesperson for the anti-racism charity Show Racism the Red Card, told the Independent: “Benedict Cumberbatch has highlighted a very important issue within the entertainment industry and within society. In doing so, he has also inadvertently highlighted the issue of appropriate terminology and the evolution of language.”

They added that the organisation feels the term “has the potential to cause offence due to the connotations associated with the term and its historical usage”.

In a statement Cumberbatch said: “I’m devastated to have caused offence by using this outmoded terminology. I offer my sincere apologies. I make no excuse for my being an idiot and know the damage is done.”

Cumberbatch found himself in a race controversy last year, when Stacey Cumberbatch, the city commissioner in New York, told the New York Times that she believed Cumberbatch’s fifth great-grandfather had owned her ancestors, who were held at a sugar plantation in Barbados.

The actor has spoken about his family’s past as slave owners and revealed that his mother once advised him to not use his name professionally in case of reparations claims by the descendants of slaves.

The PBS debate came at a time when British actors are enjoying high-profile success in Hollywood. Last year Chiwetel Ejifor was nominated for an Oscar for his portrayal of Solomon Northup in 12 Years a Slave – in which Cumberbatch co-starred. This year David Oyelowo has won praise for his performance in Ava DuVernay’s film Selma.

Many black British actors have found that opportunities in the States have far exceeded those at home. Idris Elba’s career took off after he crossed the Atlantic for a role as Baltimore’s cerebral drug dealer Stringer Bell in The Wire, while Thandie Newton, Carmen Ejogo and Naomie Harris have all taken leading roles in American films and TV shows.

Last year in the UK, Lenny Henry spoke out about the lack of non-white people working in television and called for channels to reflect the country’s ethnically diverse population.

http://www.theguardian.com/culture/2015/jan/26/benedict-cumberbatch-apologises-after-calling-black-actors-coloured

OK I geddit its frowned upon to use such terms as 'coloured' and 'half-caste' etc but they are not necessarily politically incorrect...

So my question is, how long is it going to to until terms like 'black' when referring to a person of African heritage becomes unpopular due to being a very inaccurate term?

Bunch of hyperbole

p.s. had to happen to my homie Benedict

wasnt his great grandad a big plantation owner aswell?

How is that relevant?

Probably to show that racism runs in his family, so his bloodline have a track record?

I dunno, just a hunch.

Means fuck all.

So Cumberbatch is racist now over this and what his bloodline did 100 years ago?

• Downvote 2

wasnt his great grandad a big plantation owner aswell?

How is that relevant?

Probably to show that racism runs in his family, so his bloodline have a track record?

I dunno, just a hunch.

Means f*ck all.

So Cumberbatch is racist now over this and what his bloodline did 100 years ago?

Clearly that was the connection that time_bomb was making.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Its not so far fetched of an idea that racism could be passed down through the generations, particularly when you come from a class of people who in the past have owned hundreds of black slaves.

Im not sure racism is even the right word either, more of a 'those coloured fellows' upper class attitude towards ethnics.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Its not so far fetched of an idea that racism could be passed down through the generations, particularly when you come from a class of people who in the past have owned hundreds of black slaves.

Im not sure racism is even the right word either, more of a 'those coloured fellows' upper class attitude towards ethnics.

It's either racist or it's not mate there's no middle ground.

• Upvote 1

What should he have said?

Bare in mind he probably wasn't only talking about blacks (I don't know if he was or not)

It seems as though you'e saying if he was talking about all non-white actors (not just black) it somehow becomes acceptable to call them coloured.

He could of said ethnic minorities.

What should he have said?

Bare in mind he probably wasn't only talking about blacks (I don't know if he was or not)

It seems as though you'e saying if he was talking about all non-white actors (not just black) it somehow becomes acceptable to call them coloured.

He could of said ethnic minorities.

Never said what's right and wrong.

What's right is the context of what he's saying.

What's wrong is people kicking up a fuss about his use of a word which wasn't meant in any malice.