ski beatz

jimmy page

tom middleton

arthur baker

dj quick

brian eno

prince

thats my live eat n breathe music snob list

theres a lot of ppl who cud be described as musical geniuses and its entirely subjective, theres only a few certified ones and even then one mans genius is another mans wack nigga

only 2 i can defo say r max b n george martin

This is Cam’ron on BET’s Rap City, sometime in 2005, spitting over The Game’s “Dreams” track, which was produced by Kanye West. It is the most “I’m in the zone! I can hear Jimi!” performance in the history of recorded sound. That’s not particularly surprising when you consider the fact that, in the middle part of the last decade, Cam’ron was that zone’s landlord.
From 2001, when the first Diplomats mixtape dropped, through his full-lengths, Come Home With Me and Purple Haze, Cam’ron was matched possibly only by Ghostface in rap’s lyrical supremacy sweepstakes.
Where Ghost was 500-hour energy-drink amped and crying for the babies, Cam couldn’t care less. Everything seemed effortless for him. They were both spitting what, at times, felt like free-associative poetry about New York City, but they were doing it in totally different ways. He basically sums up his “I’m the best, who cares” attitude within the first 30 seconds of the Rap City clip: “I don’t even like to rhyme, love, but love this life of mine.”
Despite all the great records Cam put out over that 5-year-and-change stretch, this might be my favorite artifact from that time. To the best of my knowledge and Googling, this performance, in full, only exists on YouTube. You can find snippets of it on Best Of Cam’ron mixes, but not the full-length version. The lyrics were eventually repurposed for a song called “It’s Nothin’” on Dipset The Movement Moves On, but that track, with all due respect to Hell Rell, pales in comparison to what you see above.
My favorite thing about this performance is how it looks like someone woke Cam from an incredibly nice dream about Pelicans he was having in the back of an Escalade and told him, “Killa, your country needs you.”
Sleepy-eyed, no doubt a side effect from some powerful glaucoma medication, Cam proceeds to absolutely repossess this song from The Game. .22 to my head, this may be favorite Kanye West beat, outside of “Gone” or “School Spirit” or “Two Words” … OK it’s up there. But despite the fact that Kanye made it and it officially belonged to Game, I will always and forever consider this a Cam track.
Cam rhymes about his sweat socks, the short life span of his jewelry, his Dipset crew member Juelz Santana’s style of conflict resolution, the variety to be found in his drug inventory, Betty and Wilma, Dora the Explorer, the veneer of his cabinets and winds down by declaring himself the brand new Entenmann’s.
You might feel like this doesn’t qualify as a freestyle since Cam clearly isn’t coming off the dome. In this case I’d say you’re being pedantic and let you know that your shuffle-board game is about to start at the Covered Bridge Retirement Community Rec Center.
You also might note, for better or worse, that Cam never breaks for a chorus or offers up a lyrical hook. Listen closer. Watch this over and over again. Everything Cam’ron says is a hook. Yahtzee. Yacht time.
  • Upvote 3