Kevin Strootman

Mame Biram Diouf

Kevin-Strootman-008.jpg

A former Roma club doctor believes Kevin Strootman’s latest injury problems have come about because previous surgery on his injured knee “did not go perfectly”, speculating that there may be “no way out” for the Dutch midfielder.

Strootman, a long time target of Manchester United’s manager, Louis van Gaal, picked up the initial injury in March and underwent surgery which ruled him out of Holland’s World Cup campaign.

The 25-year-old returned to action with Roma in November but suffered a relapse in January, was forced under the knife again and with no time frame set for his return, may not play again this season.

Van Gaal reportedly remains interested in signing Strootman, provided he makes a full comeback, but Mario Brozzi, previously part of Roma’s medical staff, fears prolonged complications for the midfielder.

“My impression is that the surgery on Strootman’s ligament did not go perfectly,” Brozzi has told La Partita Perfetta on Gold TV. “I don’t know what happened to his knee, but his Cyclops syndrome results from a problem in the ligament’s position.

“The cartilaginous damage is determined by the extensive deficit. Now, if this is the situation, I see no way out. But it’s not up to me to say whether further surgery is needed.”

Very sad if true, his peak years aren't far of. He would've been perfect for the PL. 

• 4 months later...