Denmark: Calls for Muhammad cartoons in school textbooks

dub

A Danish teaching association wants controversial cartoons of the Prophet Muhammad to be included in school textbooks, it's reported.

The Association of Religious Education Teachers wants the cartoons to be incorporated into teaching materials "sooner rather than later", the DR Nyheder website reports. Studying them would help explore the relation between religious, social and political issues, according to association's president, John Rydahl. "The 'Muhammad crisis' is an obvious issue in religious education, and it amazes me that there hasn't yet been a textbook with the drawings," he says. It currently isn't obligatory to teach children about the cartoons, but many schools choose to cover the topic during history and social studies classes, according to the Danish Education Ministry.

The proposal has some support among Danish politicians, with the right-wing Danish People's Party calling for the cartoons to be mandatory learning material in religious education classes. Both the Conservatives and centre-left Social Democrats say they don't want it to be obligatory, because teachers should be free to decide on their own materials. But a Conservative spokeswoman says it would be "quite natural" for schools to use the images.

The cartoons were first published in Denmark's Jyllands-Posten newspaper in 2005, and sparked violent protests in some Muslim countries. In February, a gunman opened fire on people attending a free-speech debate in a Copenhagen cafe, killing one person. Cartoonist Lars Vilks, who drew the original caricatures, said he believed he was the target of the attack.

I'm all for education of social matters but including the images seems to be a step perhaps too far. 

He was a real man who lived 1500 years ago and led his army in uniting saudi tho

Personally i think they are just trolling

He was a real man who lived 1500 years ago and led his army in uniting saudi tho

Personally i think they are just trolling

He was real most definitely, to a greater degree than Moses and Jesus etc (the characters who inspired them) were real, but the theological versions of each (including Muhammad, who was by far the most 'tangible' of the bunch) are incredibly far from any actual character that may have existed, and it's most likely he, like the others is a composite of different individuals arranged post-hoc for religious purposes, at least as far as Islamic tradition goes..

Probably cos most the immigrants in them countries come from muslim nations

I do feel there was a lot more integration in earlier generations

Seems like someone is happy to drive them v us wedge and provoke at any given opportunity

they can deal with the consequences then smh

Which wouldn't be justified.

whats the justification behind these cartoons 

not the fake its just religion justification the real one

:lmao:

so angry all the time man

dont even make sense

chill

WE'LL DRAW WHAT WE WANT

they can deal with the consequences then smh

Which wouldn't be justified.

whats the justification behind these cartoons 

not the fake its just religion justification the real one

:lmao:

so angry all the time man

dont even make sense

chill

WE'LL DRAW WHAT WE WANT

whos angry

While I feel their obvious take-no-religious-bullshit attitude is refreshing (also needed in many cases) many who I've spoken to stray a little to close to right-wing hysteria, though I'm not sure if this would strictly be the case

I felt like this as well, seems like a lot of people, especially on the internet were using the whole Charlie Hebdo / 'right to expression' discussion as an excuse to exert all this pent up tired-of-being-tolerant anger towards muslims.

how would this have been worded if he were muslim

A gunman has opened fire at a restaurant in the Czech Republic, killing eight people before shooting himself dead, officials say.

The man burst into the Druzba restaurant in the eastern town of Uhersky Brod and started "shooting indiscriminately", mayor Patrik Kuncar said.

Police described it as the worst mass shooting incident on record.

Czech Interior Minister Milan Chovanec said it was not a terrorist attack.

Some 20 people were thought to have been in the restaurant at the time.

A waitress who was shot in the chest by the gunman is in a serious condition in hospital.

Czech Prime Minister Bohuslav Sobotka said he was shocked by the attack and offered his condolences to relatives of the victims.

The suspect has been described as a local man in his 60s.

Called national TV

The town's mayor said he assumed the shooting "was an isolated incident".

"We have various anti-terrorist measures but we can see that, here, probably a lone shooter struck with no warning," he added.

"I'm rattled by this event. I never would have imagined something like this happening here, in a restaurant that I know well."

barely made news last week btw

While I feel their obvious take-no-religious-bullshit attitude is refreshing (also needed in many cases) many who I've spoken to stray a little to close to right-wing hysteria, though I'm not sure if this would strictly be the case

I felt like this as well, seems like a lot of people, especially on the internet were using the whole Charlie Hebdo / 'right to expression' discussion as an excuse to exert all this pent up tired-of-being-tolerant anger towards muslims.

Indeed, pretty sad (yet predictable) stuff.

quick to print offensive cartoons in the name of free speech all the while omitting heinous acts committed by corks from history lessons.

hmm i remember being taught nazis, romans, the great depression, a bit of slavery that was oh so modern and fair of them, never remember being taught about mass murder, rape, beheadings, chemicals testing and such committed by the civilised colonisers.

in this country the education top brass seem more concerned with implementing compulsory sex education to primary school kids

innit, what a weird thing to say

thing is, (I could be well off the mark here) I can't ever imagine them teaching in our schools, that such hostilities exist in our society and why/how they have come about

I mean I was in primary school when 9/11 happened, but nowhere in my secondary school RE or history, or later on PSHE classes, was there any education on why any terrorist attacks happened despite their significance

Not sure what the argument about history is here? It's always only ever taught about the wrong doings of European men. Was never anything taught about what any one else did, even when they taught about the slave trade I don't think they ever mentioned it was Africans selling Africans onto Europeans and Americans to coincide with kidnappings.

Think all people ever seem to remember mostly about is 1066 for some reason.

• Upvote 2