Job v Entrepreneur

Meticulous

Achieve what you expect others to do or have done....first. Then talk or STFU

This is an unfortunate (but true) comment and one that basically says the following: you must seen to be in possession of material wealth before (the worst elements of) the black diaspora even think of listening to you, or think that you're worth listening to.

Kids don't listen to Akala because he doesn't flash material goods about (despite the fact that he kicks very sound knowledge - or some would say). At the same time however, people aren't listening to a man like Dame Dash, who HAS the material wealth that (the worst elements of) the black diaspora would need to pay attention, because he comes across too arrogant, and basically niggas are hating.

So just who are young black men listening to? Young Thug? <Insert ANY ignorant black trap rapper here>? These rappers offer very little except selling kids dreams (which are not unachievable, but unlikely).

So I repeat, just who are young black men listening to? We know it's not teachers, since the classic urban black narrative is "School doesn't teach you what you need to know" or some other such idiotic comment.

Once again, WHO ARE YOUNG BLACK MEN LISTENING TO?  

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

A better question would be "Who is talking to young black men?"

"A better question" how exactly?

Your question (to me) exemplifies the difference between "go-getters" and "blame gamers", between left and right, between capitalism and communism. I could go on, those smart enough know what I mean.

I am a black man...I don't need or require anyone to talk to me. All I need to know is that I don't want my kids to go through what I had to when I was young, and that simply means not having the opportunities to build a legacy that I had to acquire later in life than I should have.

/

Co-sign the father comment from Drift.

I'm not the one you can condescend on fella.

I am a black man...I don't need or require anyone to talk to me.

Herein the real problem is laid bare

Excellent attempt at trying to discredit me, while ignoring the issue at hand. I will deal with it:

I meant to insert the word BLACK after anyone.

The people I try and emulate are simply those who are the best in their chosen field and a field that I wish to achieve success in too, irrespective of skin colour. This is where lots of black men fall down. "The white man can't tell me anything".

• Upvote 1

A better question would be "Who is talking to young black men?"

"A better question" how exactly?

Your question (to me) exemplifies the difference between "go-getters" and "blame gamers", between left and right, between capitalism and communism. I could go on, those smart enough know what I mean.

I am not as smart as you based Nial.

Please do educate.

I'm not the one you can condescend on fella.

I am a black man...I don't need or require anyone to talk to me.

Herein the real problem is laid bare

Excellent attempt at trying to discredit me, while ignoring the issue at hand. I will deal with it:

I meant to insert the word BLACK after anyone.

The people I try and emulate are simply those who are the best in their chosen field and a field that I wish to achieve success in too, irrespective of skin colour. This is where lots of black men fall down. "The white man can't tell me anything".

I think what Fresh is saying is that your attitude of 'I don't need to listen to anyone, I'm a black man' is the issue.

Even if you're trying to get the right message across, more often than not a kid is gonna see it as either critical or judgmental. Young men wanna do things their own way, unless they have SELECTED their mentors (consciously or not) it's gonna be hard to tell them anything.

This is where the 'role model' issue comes in. But it's not quite as simple as pointing at a positive, black person and saying 'copy that'. The kids need to already respect that person, they need to believe that any advice/guidance offered is actually achievable (self-confidence) and they need to be able to attract like-minded friends.

This happens on the roads and we call them gangs. Young kids all brought together by common role models (olders, rappers, fucking El Chapo whoever), given realistic, achievable advice (pick it up, break it down, turn it on, move it out) by those people and surrounded by like minds.

Smart people know that the other route is education/uni - and the analogy above applies there too. We're talking about a particular, cognitive state that exists in young people (men). For those of you who went 6th form at the school you did your GCSEs at - remember how different it felt studying out of CHOICE rather than by force?

You lost me at the first line. I clarified my "I don't need to listen to anyone" line with "I don't need to listen to anyone black". And what I was effectively saying is that 

SENSE IS SENSE to me whether a white man says it or not. Which is why I don't have this dumb hatred of the system that many young black men seem to have.

You wrote a long essay for nothing other than to look smart...that's the most annoying thing about you. You're clearly a super intelligent guy, but the ego, the god damn ego has to prevail.

I'd still have a pint with you though, pause.

You lost me at the first line. I clarified my "I don't need to listen to anyone" line with "I don't need to listen to anyone black"

And what I was effectively saying is that 

SENSE IS SENSE to me whether a white man says it or not. Which is why I don't have this dumb hatred of the system that many young black men seem to have.

You wrote a long essay for nothing other than to look smart...that's the most annoying thing about you. You're clearly a super intelligent guy, but the ego, the god damn ego has to prevail.

I'd still have a pint with you though, pause.

Yeah egos are f*cked, but I don't think my ego got the better of me there. Maybe.

I'm speaking from a position of someone who wants to teach kids, so imbuing any kind of 'sense' is vital.

But my point is that kids will not be able to distinguish from the 'street sense' that Dame Dash and Jay-Z espouse - 'flipping' - from the mainstream 'sense' that the education system instils - because one is being subconsciously fed to them, and the other is forced.

• Upvote 1

Not really talking about kids tbh, I'm talking about 18-28 year old black males, usually of Caribbean descent, but the plague is now affecting many young African men too. Particularly ones from refugee backgrounds (Somalis, Sudanese, Congolese etc).

Fundamentally, I'm sure me you and Fresh could sit in a room and hammer out a synthesis (pause). I'm pretty certain we don't really disagree with one another, our egos just get in the way. :)