Drug Dealers vs Fraudsters/Thieves

Mr. Martinez

Exactly

Capitalism has no moral base

What do you mean when you say this?

It's self explanatory

Operating for profit and operating based on what's fair, just or for the greater good are two totally different (and seperate) things

But we don't live under pure capitalism, that's why I was asking. Under the system we live in the two things (fortunately) aren't two separate things.

They wouldn't be two completely different things anyway. 

Simple ideas like: pay a worker fairly -> worker is happy -> happy worker makes a good product -> product can sell for more because it was made well.

Obviously you can tip the weight.

"Capitalism has no moral base" is correct, but just because it lacks morals at the base doesn't mean you don't see them involved elsewhere.

it does because the person purchasing drugs is a victim at his own expense, he can't push blame onto the dealer

Fraud is completely different in terms of morality

What about his kids? Are they victims at their own expense?

IF it even affects them..theyre victims at their legal guardians expense, not the dealers

but its also your choice to put drugs into the community

you can't say drug dealers have 0% blame

just because: if you didn't exist, there'd still be a problem - does not mean you're not part of the problem

0% no... but the majority of the blame lies with the person buying the drugs

now tell me where the blame lies (in percentages) when it comes to fraud

yeah but that's fine, we've already established that fraud victims aren't willing and drug abuse victims are

but that doesn't make fraudsters worse than drug dealers

because the argument doesn't boil down to that single arguing point

• Upvote 2

lol lets take cocaine for example...

you aren't stupid are you? people have kids. If you live in that world you should know the effects it can have

The CEO of your company probably sniffs lines on his days off

dunno why you're always thinking worse case scenario

I mentioned before my view. It is a case vs case situation. I'm using the worse cases to show you that "a willing transaction" is not an argument for theft being morally worse than selling drugs.

Basic economics does not come into morality (which is what the question is based on)

just because: if you didn't exist, there'd still be a problem - does not mean you're not part of the problem

I take out in insurance with a global company worth hundreds of millions of pounds

I put in a relatives address in an area which has lower car break ins so I get a cheaper premium

Thats fraud

Is that morally wrong in your opinion?

yeah but that's fine, we've already established that fraud victims aren't willing and drug abuse victims are

but that doesn't make fraudsters worse than drug dealers

because the argument doesn't boil down to that single arguing point

what other arguing points does it boil down to then

even someone who hates all violence will agree that 2 consenting fighters is better than 1 person beating up another person who doesnt want to fight.

I take out in insurance with a global company worth hundreds of millions of pounds

I put in a relatives address in an area which has lower car break ins so I get a cheaper premium

Thats fraud

Is that morally wrong in your opinion?

No but thats on a level similar to someone selling weed in draws to recreational smokers

neither are worse than the other

but on a personal scale where it affects individuals, fraud is worse imo

but its not the same fight is it?

so we've got 2 identical families, lets say, single parent: mother and child

family 1 becomes a victim of fraud, looses all their money - ends up either having to rely on friends and family or the state

family 2 becomes a victim of drug abuse, child grows up damaged because its mother was a drug addict

obviously there could be multiple ways both things play out, but in these particular outcomes I'd see that family 2 situation as a worse turnout - now just because mother in family 2 was willing to take those drugs, doesn't mean I should be less pissed at the drug dealer than the fraudster

yes -  this doesn't apply to the general sense of things, I'm just trying to establish the idea that it is not a simple, straight forward argument that you seem to be putting it down to