To pay or not to pay?

Lieutenant

How can my boys girl be organising his 30th for the night of the mayweather fight. She's rented a penthouse and is providing food and some drink. She's asking everyone for £20 to help contribute :/

I seem to be the only one that thinks it's a joke ting, if you can't afford it don't do it.

Am I mad?

• Downvote 1

Assuming everyone is invited to attend I don't see anything wrong with that.

Maybe she doesn't have the money for it and/or she wants his friends to be there too to share his birthday so he isn't just with her.

I've contributed to a friend's birthday in the exact same situation and I didn't see anything wrong with it nor did anybody else.

My money included a room for me and my misses though, not sure how I'd have felt if I had to leave come a certain time.

C/S Bane

Got no problem chipping in for birthdays etc

If the purpose is to make sure man is having a good time on his birthday no reason man should have a problem parting with money especially when it's change

One of my cousins so trill he don't even drink but will match whatever man put on the table as long as he gets 2 jugs of juice ?

Not the money that's the issue its only a score lol. Just the principle, if I was organising a bday for my Mrs I wouldn't ask anyone for money as that's my gift to her. If I couldn't afford it I would do it. I'd feel embarrassed asking people for money

But meh everyone's different

The thought of me throwing a party for my missus and then telling her friends like

" oh hai, i'm throwing at party for X, it's at this time, this location and i'm gonna be £20 each to help fund it"

:/

Would be different if it was something everybody helped arrange and agree on. Money ain't the issue it's just weird, never been asked to foot the bill for someones party before.

meh each to their own I guess

If you are that guy that when a group goes for a meal gets his calculator out and starts bleating on about how yours only come to £14 you're a c*nt mate.

This is the worst, always put up the cash.

Evens out in the end.

Hate this shit, always someone who wants to pay to the penny like a c*nt.

just throw in a round note ffs.

If you are that guy that when a group goes for a meal gets his calculator out and starts bleating on about how yours only come to £14 you're a c*nt mate.

Evens out in the end.

Hate this sh*t, always someone who wants to pay to the penny like a c*nt.

3/4 of my circle to do this, to the point I avoid large meals with them or I ask for a separate bill from the start if allowed.

Only time I'd ever complain is if someone takes the absolute piss with alcohol but that has only happened once.

Seen guys working out the cost of their burger because they didn't want to pay a tenner more for a beautiful house special steak.

Evens out in the end.

Hate this sh*t, always someone who wants to pay to the penny like a c*nt.

Go to a restaurant with a bunch of Affs then a calculator is coming out at the time of the bill guaranteed

• Upvote 2

Nah Im with Lewis on this. Dont matter if its 20 pence or 20 pounds.

How can you arrange an event, invite people along and then say 'oh yeah and can you chip in £20 as well?'

Thats cheeky. Of course youre more than happy to cough up 20 quid for a mates birthday, and if his mrs had of said 'im thinking of throwing a party for so and so, would people be happy to chip in a few quid and ill sort everything out?' Im sure Lewis woulda give her the money happily.

In fact, if my mrs did what shes done and invited my friends with a £20 acceptance fee, Id feel shame. Would be reimbursing people on the door.

• Downvote 2

Agree with my Gh peoples above tbh.

It's his 30th ffs, let her put on a memorable night for him, even if it means asking for a bit of help.

In the grand scheme of things you're investing in this event she will put on for him, trusting that as a result it should make said event better for him, which should then be in your interest and to your own benefit as well.

/

Drawing parallels these are the essentially the principles public equity markets work on. Non-voting shares in these circumstances since your investment commands no sway on how the money is spent.