NFTR - Not For The Radio (Interviews)

Afroman

Buskin interview was shit. It wasn't an interview. It was more like give buskin 30+mins to talk and just listen.No direction, no focus, which obviously shows lack of preparation.

They think they can pull off just filming a conversation.

NO

There is an art and a skill to it. Journalism, articulation, etc etc

Watch any interview weather it be hardtalk late at night on bbc news, so hip hop interviews, the UK Black/Urban music scene is so behind.

I regulary watch Onstage, a Jamaican show that features entertainment news on reggae, dancehall, and Jamaican/Caribbean music in general. The levels are so much better than 99.9% of anything the Black british urban grime rnb hip hop collecting media side of interviewing and documenting does.

They have character, prep, professionalism, focus, good questions without loosing their essence

Even if the Jamaican artiste is 'dead' they still know how to ask and draw out information so that the watcher listener can get something from it, so you dont go away thinking it was a dead interview at the fault of the interviewer

Few examples

Stylo G Onstage Interview

Mavado is someone who is known to give DEAD interviews, an ariste who is better just singing songs than speaking, and you can see how Winford asks what he has to ask difficult or not

who cares?

looked so dead

• Upvote 1

Think you lot are all being a bit harsh tbf. Yeah that clip is a little dusty but let these man live. They the pioneers of this shit. Plus that Giggs That's Not Me dub sounded alright. It's just too easy to say you man a old fuck off. In the eyes of many these are still young men. Google So Solid Brits, that's a bunch of kids up on stage there - salute!

It appears that they aint doing it for the love anymore

Something is missing, or should i say obviously it isnt translating well. 

When i was 12-17 (im 28 now) id listen to radio and lock into garage, the pirate radio stations etc. Then So Solid came along and i felt it. 

My friends, my cousins would tape so solid, pay as you go, rolldeep etc and my older cousins would do the same and also tape Heartless

My older cousins bought me into heartless.

I prefered So Solid and we would always argue who are better

So Solid vs HLC vs PAUG

I Liked all of them but So solid resonated with me more as one it was garage and two HLC's greatness was harder to translate as they are a sound system.

at 12-16 i wasnt raving, so i couldnt experience HLC doing the best at what they do

I remember listening to the tapes and trying to get it, and getting it gradually, especially when cos after a while they were so good that you could feel the vibes, the fact that they played all kinda musics and mixed them all together.They were multi dimensional, but as a young teenager, its hard to like things that dont naturally draw you in automatically

I have a 16 year old sister and when i try show her music she doesnt want to know so i overstand with heinsight. But as i looked up to my cousins, i wanted to feel it like them. 

So hearing on tape HLC mashing up raves and hearing the crowd reaction through a tape kinda swayed me, plus me being Jamaican (heritage) and hearing sound system culture + liking rnb hip hop jungle, with HLC you got all of it , hosting, lyrics for all, gyal lyrics mandem lyrics etc, DJing, crowd reactions and interactions etc. It felt like a show

So Solid and PAUG wasnt so multi vibzey, more straight spitting , lyrics beats etc etc

So fast forward 13 odd years

And you have this generation, who didnt grow up on raving the way 2 the generation who are OLDER than me did. I remember wiley saying how he knew exactly how BBK should have won Red Bull culture clash but they didnt stick to the formula, even though the crowd isnt the same crowd who fully understand the formula.

I remember raving when house and its varieties and afro beats and its varieties didnt ''exist'' in mainstream raves. When it was just Hip hop bashment rnb a likkle jungle garage and classics.

So when i say it isnt translating well, HLC SO SOLID PAUG are either naive thinking they can just book an event and expect this modern day gen to come and get and appriciate and understand what they are doing.

I looked at the crowd for that video and they were dead. come like they were waiting for something to ''happen''. They dont get the whole chatting for 1min about the song and the selectors and playing the song for 5-15 seconds.  

It worked at Red Bull culture clash cos of the professionalism and the use of bait pop song dubplates. 

If they really want to clash or create the essence of before, or even have a modern day essense, maybe they need to stop approaching it like they are owed something cos of what they done in the past.

Put on an event a rave, and do what you do, promote it properly and attract the crowd that will appreciate it. Naturally, the new lot will come, but show them and force them like i was forced to get it. 

I used to pray and wish that i could experience one of them raves from way back when, but i was a school boy and wernt raving. Im kinda anti this hipster white boy gen at events cos the vibes are different. Its not a race thing its just a different vibes ting. i watch the vids online and just see bare guys just jumping, even jumping before the drop drops. 

The MCs dont seem to work for the reloads or the vibes, just spit 16 and expect a reload and the crowd to go nuts by default. 

I went to Protoje concert in march (reggae artist) in Brixton, and Chronixx (reggae artist earlier in the year last year) a sizable White demographic were at both, the difference between the two was at Chronixx they appreciated the culture and blended into it. It felt rootsy and vibzy. At Protoje, they were getting drunk, just jumping around like a rock concert not in tune or in time, i couldnt enjoy it. Every other moment was trying to figure out who elbowed me. 

Sorry for digressing a bit, but it seems that them man disappeared, the new grime lot continued and put on their events, now SS, HLC PAUG think they can just pick up where they left off

It dont work like that.

Am i making sense?

• Upvote 7

Yeah but you wrote a lot when simply...

Raving has changed, like completely changed.

These man can't go to a rave and try clash.

Especially a unbilled clash...

At what looked like the death of the rave too, venue had no flow at all for a clash.

People forget that Camden Palace was billed as a versus and the weekend before the Watford HLC PAUG ting they was meant to clash in Birmingham and back then a lot of the same man use to travel up and down the country for raving.

Besides Bushkin would never clash if he's already done played out a set already, that's how he's got the other two before and you can't really clash 1 for 1 with so many mics.

It appears that they aint doing it for the love anymore

Something is missing, or should i say obviously it isnt translating well. 

When i was 12-17 (im 28 now) id listen to radio and lock into garage, the pirate radio stations etc. Then So Solid came along and i felt it. 

My friends, my cousins would tape so solid, pay as you go, rolldeep etc and my older cousins would do the same and also tape Heartless

My older cousins bought me into heartless.

I prefered So Solid and we would always argue who are better

So Solid vs HLC vs PAUG

I Liked all of them but So solid resonated with me more as one it was garage and two HLC's greatness was harder to translate as they are a sound system.

at 12-16 i wasnt raving, so i couldnt experience HLC doing the best at what they do

I remember listening to the tapes and trying to get it, and getting it gradually, especially when cos after a while they were so good that you could feel the vibes, the fact that they played all kinda musics and mixed them all together.They were multi dimensional, but as a young teenager, its hard to like things that dont naturally draw you in automatically

I have a 16 year old sister and when i try show her music she doesnt want to know so i overstand with heinsight. But as i looked up to my cousins, i wanted to feel it like them. 

So hearing on tape HLC mashing up raves and hearing the crowd reaction through a tape kinda swayed me, plus me being Jamaican (heritage) and hearing sound system culture + liking rnb hip hop jungle, with HLC you got all of it , hosting, lyrics for all, gyal lyrics mandem lyrics etc, DJing, crowd reactions and interactions etc. It felt like a show

So Solid and PAUG wasnt so multi vibzey, more straight spitting , lyrics beats etc etc

So fast forward 13 odd years

And you have this generation, who didnt grow up on raving the way 2 the generation who are OLDER than me did. I remember wiley saying how he knew exactly how BBK should have won Red Bull culture clash but they didnt stick to the formula, even though the crowd isnt the same crowd who fully understand the formula.

I remember raving when house and its varieties and afro beats and its varieties didnt ''exist'' in mainstream raves. When it was just Hip hop bashment rnb a likkle jungle garage and classics.

So when i say it isnt translating well, HLC SO SOLID PAUG are either naive thinking they can just book an event and expect this modern day gen to come and get and appriciate and understand what they are doing.

I looked at the crowd for that video and they were dead. come like they were waiting for something to ''happen''. They dont get the whole chatting for 1min about the song and the selectors and playing the song for 5-15 seconds.  

It worked at Red Bull culture clash cos of the professionalism and the use of bait pop song dubplates. 

If they really want to clash or create the essence of before, or even have a modern day essense, maybe they need to stop approaching it like they are owed something cos of what they done in the past.

Put on an event a rave, and do what you do, promote it properly and attract the crowd that will appreciate it. Naturally, the new lot will come, but show them and force them like i was forced to get it. 

I used to pray and wish that i could experience one of them raves from way back when, but i was a school boy and wernt raving. Im kinda anti this hipster white boy gen at events cos the vibes are different. Its not a race thing its just a different vibes ting. i watch the vids online and just see bare guys just jumping, even jumping before the drop drops. 

The MCs dont seem to work for the reloads or the vibes, just spit 16 and expect a reload and the crowd to go nuts by default. 

I went to Protoje concert in march (reggae artist) in Brixton, and Chronixx (reggae artist earlier in the year last year) a sizable White demographic were at both, the difference between the two was at Chronixx they appreciated the culture and blended into it. It felt rootsy and vibzy. At Protoje, they were getting drunk, just jumping around like a rock concert not in tune or in time, i couldnt enjoy it. Every other moment was trying to figure out who elbowed me. 

Sorry for digressing a bit, but it seems that them man disappeared, the new grime lot continued and put on their events, now SS, HLC PAUG think they can just pick up where they left off

It dont work like that.

Am i making sense?

Interesting you say this. 

I directed a video for this reggae dub artist a couple weeks back. Shot some of the shots while he was performing at some  reggae club night. 

Eye opener. Crowd was so diverse. Yet, they appreciated the culture and the music. The vibes was good. I was shocked to think places like that exist in the capital.

I was just thinking to myself why cant uk Hip hop and grime artist have a spot on lock down like this.