Hatton Garden Diamond Heist

underwriter

• 4 months later...

Turned out these guys wernt so boasy then

One of the guys is squeeling and showing the police where the loot is hidden.

Hatton Garden thief shows police where stolen goods are buried

One of the men who stole £20m worth of valuables in a Hatton Garden heist has been taken from prison under armed guard to show detectives where he buried his share of the goods in a cemetery.

Danny Jones, 58, had earlier complained in a letter that his offer to reveal the hiding place had been ignored by Scotland Yard. But, according to Sky News, he was taken from Belmarsh prison on Thursday to Edmonton cemetery in north London and he showed flying squad officers where to dig.

Jones, from Enfield, north London, has admitted his part in the heist. He was taken straight back to jail, as a team of a dozen officers in forensic suits began excavating while 10 more stood guard.

754.jpg?w=300&q=85&auto=format&sharp=10&
Danny Jones has admitted his part in the robbery. Photograph: Metropolitan police/PA

On Friday, a Met spokesperson said: “On 15 October, Met flying squad officers searched a venue in north London as part of an ongoing investigation where property was recovered.”

According to Sky, Jones’s solicitor was present to witness the operation and police took photographs that may be used in evidence against him. Visitors to the cemetery were allowed to lay flowers on nearby graves but were kept away from the dig, which lasted about four hours.

In a letter from his prison cell before the excavation, which was sent to Sky, Jones had said: “I’ve instructed my solicitor to tell the police flying squad that I want to give back my share of the Hatton Garden burglary. They said it’s in motion. I now understand that the police said that the prison Belmarsh won’t release me to the police. What a load of bull.”

Jones is one of four men who have pleaded guilty to conspiracy to rob the Hatton Garden Safe Deposit centre in London in April, over the Easter weekend. Five others pleaded not guilty and are to stand trial next month.

The gang got into the premises, then drilled through the vault wall before ransacking more than 70 boxes of jewellery, gems and cash. Police originally said £10m worth of property had been stolen, and that they had recovered nearly all of it. Then the amount stolen was revised upwards to £20m.

In a court hearing last week, prosecutor Philip Evans said police had recovered a significant amount of property but there were still many millions missing.

Officers were alerted to the Hatton Garden safety deposit burglary just after 8am on Tuesday 7 April, after the Easter holiday weekend, during which time the facility was closed. Those behind the theft disabled a lift and clambered into the basement via the shaft.

A diamond-tipped drill was used to bore holes into the vault wall – 2 metres thick and made of reinforced concrete – and was recovered from the scene. A hole 25cm high and 45cm wide was cut 89cm off the ground.

Detectives and forensic experts were confronted by a chaotic scene, with dust, debris and discarded safety deposit boxes scattered everywhere.

Police were criticised before they made arrests after it emerged they had ignored a burglar alarm that went off at the building while the thieves were inside.

When the initial call came in reporting that the alarm was sounding, police graded it as too low a priority to warrant an immediate response.

Detectives were faced with the task of assessing how much had been taken by the gang from 73 secured boxes in the vault, situated in a basement in London’s diamond district.

The trial of those who have pleaded not guilty is due to begin on 16 November at Woolwich crown court.

How did they get caught in the first place?

• 3 months later...

Saw it on the news last week when the trail started. So one of them was involved in the Brinks Matt robbery and they got caught thru their intercepted mobile communications.