History Podcasts

local

An intelligent person would know they're intelligent and not need to prove it on a forum with a bunch of faceless people.

For that reason I don't think you're a c*nt.

Just a sad individual.

But you and your cosigner buddies (who are lurking) do this all of the time...so what does that make all of you?

I'm no sadder than any of the other cunts on this godforsaken forum.

Except you're all a bunch of jobless (or dead end job) losers

Point to me where I've done this?

You're the only one on here that couldn't back their own claims.

Yet everyone else is a 'jobless bum'.

Like I said, you're a sad individual.

OK MATE, IF THAT MAKES YOU FEEL BETTER!

I ACTUALLY FEEL SORRY FOR YOU AS I TYPE.

*Sees the names of cosigners for Carlin. Decides to put off listening*

You wouldn't like it.

Well you and Zizouz like it, so you're probably right.

I know I'm right.

I imagine he's in the same category as Joe Rogan and other such cult heroes for MMA fans and white dudes. (aka faggots). 

Incorrect.

Don't listen to it.

an Carlin...hoo boy. Okay. I'm really of two minds about him. When reading this, remember one thing first and foremost.

• Dan Carlin is NOT a historian. He's an entertainer who uses history as a medium (Very effectively, too!). His podcasts are great because he's so enthusiastic about his subject matter - and he's really good with delivery too, for that matter. However, remember what he says - he's not a historian, he's a fan of history.

Great, now we got that cleared up! Let's move on to ups and downs :D

Upsides!

• He's REALLY good at what he does. I listen to his podcasts as well, and they're very well done, informative, and they get the listener hooked.

• He's got a good voice for it.

• He makes the argument for history being far more interesting than dry lectures in high school/college/uni.

• He DOES research his stuff before he does his podcast.

Downsides

• He uses the "fan of history" bit almost as an excuse or cover for many of his theories ("Remember, I'm not a historian. I'm just a fan of history. But this is how this happened and this is what it seems like....").

• While he does his research, not everything he says is spot on (Looking at YOU, oversimplification of the Roman Republic).

• People start using him as a source - while he's good, he's essentially pop history (similar to LindyBeige on Youtube)

The downsides prove I was correct in my thoughts, and show precisely why I don't listen.

I'll stick to the likes of academically rigorous historians, thanks.

:rofl:

man why cant u just relax

can u point me in the directions of these academically rigorous historian's podcasts that i can listen to while gettin on with my day?

from the 2 i've listened to so far, they're genuinely interesting and informative n as i'm so clueless about these events that basically shaped the world i'm unfortunately stuck in today, i'm quite appreciative of that

n i aint no rogan fanboy the guy can be a bit of a pillock sometimes but i appreciate his podcast too

gets some interesting guests on from time to time

can u point me in the direction of some more worthy podcasts?

714.jpg

That's not how the persona works.

Step 1: sh*t on something, let everyone know you have something better.

Step 2: get asked to show what this something is

Step 3: repeat step 1 on a different subject.

I read books and journal articles brah, I rarely/if ever listen to podcasts on history.

• Downvote 4

*Sees the names of cosigners for Carlin. Decides to put off listening*

You wouldn't like it.

Well you and Zizouz like it, so you're probably right.

I know I'm right.

I imagine he's in the same category as Joe Rogan and other such cult heroes for MMA fans and white dudes. (aka faggots). 

Incorrect.

Don't listen to it.

an Carlin...hoo boy. Okay. I'm really of two minds about him. When reading this, remember one thing first and foremost.

• Dan Carlin is NOT a historian. He's an entertainer who uses history as a medium (Very effectively, too!). His podcasts are great because he's so enthusiastic about his subject matter - and he's really good with delivery too, for that matter. However, remember what he says - he's not a historian, he's a fan of history.

Great, now we got that cleared up! Let's move on to ups and downs :D

Upsides!

• He's REALLY good at what he does. I listen to his podcasts as well, and they're very well done, informative, and they get the listener hooked.

• He's got a good voice for it.

• He makes the argument for history being far more interesting than dry lectures in high school/college/uni.

• He DOES research his stuff before he does his podcast.

Downsides

• He uses the "fan of history" bit almost as an excuse or cover for many of his theories ("Remember, I'm not a historian. I'm just a fan of history. But this is how this happened and this is what it seems like....").

• While he does his research, not everything he says is spot on (Looking at YOU, oversimplification of the Roman Republic).

• People start using him as a source - while he's good, he's essentially pop history (similar to LindyBeige on Youtube)

The downsides prove I was correct in my thoughts, and show precisely why I don't listen.

I'll stick to the likes of academically rigorous historians, thanks.

:rofl:

man why cant u just relax

can u point me in the directions of these academically rigorous historian's podcasts that i can listen to while gettin on with my day?

from the 2 i've listened to so far, they're genuinely interesting and informative n as i'm so clueless about these events that basically shaped the world i'm unfortunately stuck in today, i'm quite appreciative of that

n i aint no rogan fanboy the guy can be a bit of a pillock sometimes but i appreciate his podcast too

gets some interesting guests on from time to time

Wasn't directed at me but The Knowledge Project started over the last couple days (not sure exactly when), and it's pretty good. First guest is Michael Mauboussin. 

This is the synopsis of the overall theme to the podcast moving forward:

Shane Parrish, author of The Farnam Street blog, interviews key luminaries from across the globe to gain insights into how they think, live, and connect ideas. The core themes will seem familiar to readers: Decision Making, Leadership, Innovation. But we'll also touch on questions about what it means to live a good life.

It's good. I must warn you though, if you're trying to listen on earphone, the audio is kinda shitty. Hopefully it gets ironed out.

• Upvote 2

listenin to this today

well interestin

i recommend

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrEhoA1Pl8Q 

was kinda disappointed he didn't spend more time on Bismarck, fascinating character he is and all

I've only listened to the first so far, hopefully it gets better, but I prefered the 5 part series on the Khans

• 3 weeks later...

I has idea about any of anything man

It's all brand new information

The context of our context

The idea of the valour of war seems like fairytales, imagine gettin chopped down for nothing, literal human fodder

Finished the seriies on WW1.

I don't understand. I don't get it at all. I'm guessing a lot of these guys believed in some sort of afterlife. 

been listening to Prophets of Doom lately

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQurEQpr1_g

reminded me I need to catch up with GOT aint seen a single ep of the new season

but the 1500s catholic church... ffs, burning guys alive left, right and centre

Martin Luther>>>>>>>>