Youth Unemployment

Mame Biram Diouf

I just meant like, the original question in the thread. Like it's obviously an idea that is trying to funnel underachievers or unmotivated kids into doing something that can maybe get them out of a life of benefits. So I think anyone who fits in those groups should freely state why that would help them or not, but to the rest of us, who else cares? We're trained professionals or in work or somehow maintaining so why should we give a shit? Is someone going to tell me "cos it's my taxes"? 

In theory this is a good idea but you know its just fnna be abused for stats

And it is almost slave labour

Do none of you see the impact this kind of policy has on social mobility?

There point is obv being a high flyer also means u cnt care

Not quite what I mean.

Imagine you wanted to be a journalist. You got your english literature degree from Manchester uni or whatever, you've come back to London and back at your mums house to look for a job. Your mum is poor and can't afford to put you up. EVERY career path you could possibly pursue related to you degree, demands you work for free/internships. 

What do you do?

Not quite what I mean.

Imagine you wanted to be a journalist. You got your english literature degree from Manchester uni or whatever, you've come back to London and back at your mums house to look for a job. Your mum is poor and can't afford to put you up. EVERY career path you could possibly pursue related to you degree, demands you work for free/internships. 

What do you do?

Sounds exactly like this girl:

https://www.vice.com/en_uk/tag/Daisy-May%20Hudson

Any grim who managed to get a job at Vice. She's a terrible writer and "journalist".

Not quite what I mean.

What do you do?

Thats the situ of a good number of people

Not quite what I mean.

What do you do?

Save whilst at uni, get a part time job, go into a placement year or get a summer internship...

Make a plan, like work for a year and save..

There are many options

Not quite what I mean.

What do you do?

Save whilst at uni, get a part time job, go into a placement year or get a summer internship...

Make a plan, like work for a year and save..

There are many options

Exactly.

Mr. Martinez is going on as if we live in Victorian Britain.

That's how life works. Life is hard etc. Opportunities were much more harder for our immigrant parents, who as well have having young children in a foreign country, were working 2-3 jobs. And yet somebody who was born here, with a decent degree from Manchester University feels hard done by?

I just don't think this is making life harder for people.

edit

to elaborate I think you made a strawman in this argument. That's not my opinion at all

to be fair, I think anyone that studied journalism and thought they could ponce around on the doll while we wait for them to get a job that brings zero positive value to society needs a short sharp shock

probably one of those that camerons talking about

straight to prison after journalism degree? could work, get an internship with the inside times, free food and accomodation + will increase sercos share price so we're all winners

My impression is that certain heads have worked real hard to get where they are and have an opinion that others didn't succeed in the same way as them because they didn't apply themselves enough or they didn't have the potential.

Thing is if your parents are rich, that doesn't apply in the same way, does it? The room to make mistakes or fail when your parents have money is way larger.

These kids have much more room to make a low amount of money for a little bit, study and pursuing careers in areas like the arts, fashion, and journalism - which as mentioned by Mr Martinez, doesn't have many entry points that pay nice.

I don't think its right that these opportunities are much more available to the rich. And its not just a bleeding heart mentality. People can further reach their potential if they have space to find themselves, and I think the country benefits more from people fulfilling their potential rather than being forced to settle for less.

Obviously it doesn't apply to everyone, but I feel the government is cutting away the potential.

I'm not necessarily saying Labour have the answer to this either.

Tbh if you're studying any degree - unless at an elite institution - without building a solid network, getting experience during summer and generally being proactive during uni you should brace yourself for that outcome.

A degree doesn't carry the same weight as it used to.

Count myself SO lucky, graduated at the height of the crisis and got a entry job within weeks when everybody was sweating. No links or experience just grit.

Edit: Agree with martinez that social movement is a joke.

Could be because I've met more of the few who've pushed through to decent education (where as I know plenty from London on both sides) but I do get the impression the Scots and Welsh support their own better than the English.