The Counted: People killed by police in the US this year

dub

my point was its deeper than poverty

its not like black people dug their own hole

Wha u mean

the whole spiel about how "the system is designed to keep the black man down" might sound like a defeatist attitude but it does have ground

it may not have been "designed" per se but the inequality is real and deep rooted

Can you provide modern day examples how this is being done through employment opportunities and the education system

I agree with Dub. There can be problems with things not being equal. Here's a modern day example http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/20876/9875482/football-leagues-rooney-rule-moves-a-step-closer

Positive Discrimination they call it right. Discrimination being the key word.

So its not a problem until its apartheid levels yeah?

Anyway, this is a discussion about people being killed by police. KingOfRome was saying they're not mostly innocent, there's a disproportionate amount of black people, etc, etc. I was making a point of why this is the case. The state of the black community in the past 5 years isn't due to the inequality of the previous 5, its due to a long lasting inequality that hasn't been corrected yet.

Correcting inequality, unfortunately means inequality in the opposite direction, yes it means black people need to be favoured over white people, I'm sorry Gambino we all know how much you love white people and wave the flag for any perceived injustice to your people but equality needs to come about somehow.

So its not a problem until its apartheid levels yeah?

Anyway, this is a discussion about people being killed by police. KingOfRome was saying they're not mostly innocent, there's a disproportionate amount of black people, etc, etc. I was making a point of why this is the case. The state of the black community in the past 5 years isn't due to the inequality of the previous 5, its due to a long lasting inequality that hasn't been corrected yet.

Correcting inequality, unfortunately means inequality in the opposite direction, yes it means black people need to be favoured over white people, I'm sorry Gambino we all know how much you love white people and wave the flag for any perceived injustice to your people but equality needs to come about somehow.

Black people need to be favoured over white people :/

One of the most idiotic posts I have seen on here, not sure if your a well skilled troll or just beyond dumb

its what happens today, businesses have ethnic minority programmes, universities have programmes, its in the article Gambino posted

are you so dense that you can't see that its an accepted reality to many people?

"affirmative action", "positive discrimination" - these aren't concepts I've come up with 

lol Just goes to show what you are dealing with. He talks about me waving a "White Flag" but he's sat there thinking one race deserves something over another. The only reason I talk so much on these topics is because this forum is racist as fuck and someone has to give these clowns an alternate view, of course if I speak against anything that is derogatory towards White people, or even members of the community like Police Officers these kids are throwing the old racism tag about. I'm just glad none of the heads I know offline talk the kinda shit I have to read on here.

its what happens today, businesses have ethnic minority programmes, universities have programmes, its in the article Gambino posted

are you so dense that you can't see that its an accepted reality to many people?

"affirmative action", "positive discrimination" - these aren't concepts I've come up with 

And you think that's a good thing? You do realize that shit just causing a sense of division in people that it was never there before in right?

realising inequality will do that

you'd not care if you hadn't heard about it

if its happened to be that we have a few black managers/coaches/etc added in the game over the next few years you wouldn't care

but its the realisation of a systematic inequality that makes you angry

the thing is with black people, its not like they know 90% of the rest of black people aren't exposed to the inequality, that's not a reality, but it is a reality for white people who might be upset about positive discrimination - you know that 90% is still in favour for you its just there's this 10% quota that may affect you

(these figures are random, I doubt its as high at 10% quotas)

I don't see the positives of it.....

If you have someone who is racist as fuck managing a company, do you think forcing him to interview someone from a race he might dislike is going to suddenly turn him non racist? Hell no it isn't............

On the contrary you will have a manager who has no feelings at all towards peoples ethnicity who is suddenly told you have to discriminate against this group of people in favor of this group. You don't think that is negative?

I don't know if you're refusing to see the existing inequality against ethnic minorities or not. I'm not sure how you'd expect it to be otherwise fixed.

The positive is that you work towards a real equality.

You don't seem to understand why people have got to the point of using 'positive discrimination'.

• Upvote 1

On August 11, 2014, Dillon Taylor walked out of a local Salt Lake City, Utah, convenience store minding his own business. He wasn't armed. He wasn't committing a crime. He was listening to music on his headphones, probably in his own world.

Just two days after Officer Darren Wilson shot and killed an unarmed Mike Brown in Ferguson, Taylor would soon face a similar fate at the hands of a local officer. And on October 1, the district attorney in Salt Lake City, Sim Gill, ruled that the killing of 20-year-old Taylor was justified. Even in his determination, though, he stated that "Taylor's shooting was justified not because he posed an actual threat, but because (Officer) Cruz reasonably perceived a threat."

On August 11, 2014, Dillon Taylor walked out of a local Salt Lake City, Utah, convenience store minding his own business. He wasn't armed. He wasn't committing a crime. He was listening to music on his headphones, probably in his own world.

Just two days after Officer Darren Wilson shot and killed an unarmed Mike Brown in Ferguson, Taylor would soon face a similar fate at the hands of a local officer. And on October 1, the district attorney in Salt Lake City, Sim Gill, ruled that the killing of 20-year-old Taylor was justified. Even in his determination, though, he stated that "Taylor's shooting was justified not because he posed an actual threat, but because (Officer) Cruz reasonably perceived a threat."

i feel sick

I don't see the positives of it.....

If you have someone who is racist as f*ck managing a company, do you think forcing him to interview someone from a race he might dislike is going to suddenly turn him non racist? Hell no it isn't............

On the contrary you will have a manager who has no feelings at all towards peoples ethnicity who is suddenly told you have to discriminate against this group of people in favor of this group. You don't think that is negative?

aint gotta be a racist to hold certain misconceptions

the rooney rule has allowed minority coaches in the US to prove those misconceptions wrong and...

At the start of the 2006 season, the overall percentage of African American coaches had jumped to 22%, up from 6% prior to the Rooney Rule.

my point was its deeper than poverty

its not like black people dug their own hole

Wha u mean

the whole spiel about how "the system is designed to keep the black man down" might sound like a defeatist attitude but it does have ground

it may not have been "designed" per se but the inequality is real and deep rooted

Can you provide modern day examples how this is being done through employment opportunities and the education system

Examples of studies in the U.S. Carried out by Harvard university over a few years to show that black sounding names on résumés were less likely to be called for interviews compared to white sounding names, even at large conglomerates. In some cases this was done with two exact cvs with a different name and years changed slightly..but sent to the same company. This white sounding name getting a call back.

Education: in the UK black boys are far more likely to be excluded than white boys for the same incidence,

And when you talk of opportunities... Take the nhs, or education, police, armed forces, that have had black people contributing to for centuries...nearly all but a tiny few ever get to the end of their careers reaching senior management positions talk less of running the shop.

All about best person for the job

Sometimes race come into it

Do I want Dave down the street working in my local Indian takeaway using plain boiled rice, nah

You get jobs were race is not a factor but let's be honest you got to be a particular race for certain positions