N’Golo Kante

Mame Biram Diouf

kante_0.jpg

With Leicester City sitting proudly and, to put it mildly, unexpectedly at the top of the table, I hope Claudio Ranieri will not mind me relaying a little tale. The Italian had not long been in charge at the King Power Stadium when his head of recruitment, Steve Walsh, came forward with the name of N’Golo Kante, a busy midfielder at French side Caen.

Ranieri, in truth, was not particularly impressed, feeling, amongst other things, that Kante’s diminutive frame would not cope with the bruising rigours of the Premier League.

The stats, what’s more, back up this view. Last season in Ligue 1, Kante won the ball back more times than anyone else in the whole of Europe. This term, he has racked up 64 interceptions, leading the pack by 10 in the top flight.

As a result, Gokhan Inler can’t get near the starting eleven just now. The talented Switzerland international of some pedigree finds himself understudy to Kante’s lead role.

Definitely deserves some plaudits for this season. Been a great signing for them, allowing Mahrez and Vardy to focus on the more attacking side of the game. Someone else the bigger teams will be keeping an eye on imo.

Was gnna bring him up when anelka mentioned lass in the arsenal room but was laughing so hard i forgot

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...